Authors: William Gibson | Bruce Sterling
"You know, what is actually stranger than having people do theses about your work, is to have people build this demented shit that you dreamed up, when you were trying to make some sort of point about industrial society".
- 1989 Interview in Virus 23
Archives, Resources, Webrings
Articles, Syllabi, Criticism
New Rose Hotel
(1998 video) [Buy DVD from Amazon.com]
(1995 video) [Buy DVD from Amazon.com]
(1995 May 26) The Seattle Times: `Johnny Mnemonic' Has Familiar Look
By William Gibson
William Gibson has written a number of articles for Wired Magazine. [Subscribe to Wired through Amazon]
(2008 book) [Buy from Amazon.com]
U2's City of Blinding Lights
(2005 August article in WIRED)[READ]
God's Little Toys
(2005 July article in WIRED) [READ]
time machine cuba
(2004 short essay in The Infinite Matrix) [READ]
(since 01/06/2003) [READ]
(2003 book) [Buy from Amazon.com]
[READ EXCERPT] ['PR'-otaku]
My Own Private Tokyo
(2001 September article in Wired)
No Maps For These Territories
(2001 video) [Buy DVD from Amazon.com]
Modern Boys and Mobile Girls
On Steely Dan's Return
(2000 article) [Buy "Two Against Nature" from Amazon.com]
[READ] Password now required.
[READ] through the Wayback Machine.
(1999 January article in Wired)
William Gibson's Filmless Festival
(1999 October article in Wired) "A long, flickering weekend with the ghosts of cinema's future." [READ]
All Tomorrow's Parties
(1999 book) [Buy from Amazon.com]
(1996 book) [Buy from Amazon.com]
(1991 book by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling) [Buy from Amazon.com]
(article in June 1989 edition of Rolling Stone Magazine)
Mona Lisa Overdrive
(1988 book) [Buy from Amazon.com]
(1986 book) [Buy from Amazon.com]
Cornell Boxes: Here and here.
(1984 book) [Buy from Amazon.com]
[XML] (ch. 1)
With a Strange Device
(1982 article) A short article on Philip K. Dick in Cyber Noodle Soup #11. Read through the Wayback Machine. [READ]
(1981 anthology) [Buy from Amazon.com]
- Johnny Mnemonic
- "Client's code is stored in a special chip; barring
which we in the trade don't like to talk about, there's no way to recover your phrase."
- The Gernsback Continuum
- Fragments of a Hologram Rose
- The Belonging Kind by John Shirley and William Gibson
- Red Star, Winter Orbit by
and William Gibson
- New Rose Hotel
- The Winter Market
- Dogfight by Michael Swanwick and William Gibson
- Burning Chrome
Review of "Dracula in Love"
(1979) Originally published in Science Fiction Review and republished in Cyber Noodle Soup. Read through the Wayback Machine.
William Gibson Interviews
2008 June 10
- William Gibson Talks to io9 About Canada, Draft Dodging, and Godzilla
2006 May 11
- The NSA's New New Phone Database Interviewees include Gibson. With MP3 audio.
New York Times
- Podcast of interview by Brent Staples. At New York Times
2004 February 17
- Squinting at the present (Registration and payment now required.)
2004 February 10
- Moira Gunn interviews William Gibson (streaming or downloadable audio)
- interview by Mark Shainblum & Matthew Friedman. A previously unpublished interview from 1993, now available only through the Wayback Machine.
2003 May 1
- Talk time: William Gibson
- William Gibson: Crossing Borders Excerpts from an interview published in the May 2003 issue of Locus Magazine.
2003 April 25
- Inventor of cyberspace steps back to the present
2003 February 13
- Nodal point
2003 February 13
- Leonard Lopate Show (audio) (Real Audio)
2003 February 8
Globe and Mail
- Back in the here and now (Registration and payment now required.)
- Think Different
Green Man Review
- Interview by Wes Unruh
- William Gibson Interview from Mark Flanagan
- The Wired World According to William Gibson by Dave Roo
- Interview by Daniel Robert Epstein
- William Gibson Interview by Mark Flanagan
Undated but not earlier than 2003
- Exclusive interview by Eric S. Elkins
2001 February 7
- Riding shotgun with William Gibson
- In Conversation William Gibson
2000 February 7
Science Fiction Weekly
- Sandpapering the conscious mind with William Gibson
2000 February 3
Ain't It Cool News
- Alexandra DuPont Interviews William 'Freakin' Gibson!!!!
1999 December 28
- Online chat transcript
1999 December 15
- Cyberpunk Grandmaster William Gibson No Visionary
1999 December 6
- William Gibson: Coining 'Cyberspace'
- Interview with William Gibson
1999 November 30
- The Science in Science Fiction Talk of the Nation, with guest William Gibson
1999 November 30
Globe and Mail
- Interview by Cory Doctorow as published and full transcript.
1999 November 19
- Back to the present
1999 November 11
- Cyberpunk rocks the virtual boat
1999 November 1
Addicted To Noise
- William Gibson, Wired
1999 October 26
- William Gibson: Cyberspace, Outer Space
1999 October 25
Yahoo Internet Life
1999 October 19
San Francisco Chronicle
- Bridge To Tomorrow
1999 October 7
- Cyber punk 2000
- Waiting For The Man
The Brave New World
- William Gibson: the interview
originally broadcast on KSCO/KOMY 1080/1340, California. Available through the Wayback Machine.
1998 December 24
- Eavesdropping on Jack Womack and William Gibson available through the Wayback Machine.
1998 October 19
- Cyberpunk on screen - William Gibson speaks
1998 January 17
- An Interview by Jon Courtenay Grimwood
- An Interview by Edo Van Belkom
1997 December 13
- The Burning Chrome EXCLUSIVE "Gibson/Barker" interview
- Interview by Alessandro Ludovico
- "Interview by Andy Diggle" READ
- Interview available through the Internet Archive
1996 October 14
- "William Gibson, Webmaster"
- William Gibson
Addicted to Light
- interview READ (has audio clips)
Addicted to Noise
- Interview in three parts Part 1
- The William Gibson Interview READ
- William Gibson Interviewed by Robert Neilson READ
- "Remembering Johnny"
1995 May 22
- audio interview LISTEN in RealAudio format.
Mail and Guardian (South Africa)
- "Blade Runner on electro-steroids" READ
- Giuseppe Salza interview
1994 Nov 23
by Dan Josefsson for Rapport
- "I don't even have a Modem"
1994 August 4
- The Man Who Named Cyberspace An interview with William Gibson by Scott Rosenberg
- "Slipping Through the Net"
Cyber Noodle Soup
- THE PROTOTYPE INTERVIEW
READ available through the Internet Archive.
1993 October 1
- Interview: here and here. and background information
1993 September 22
- Interview READ
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- "Making Light of Cyberpunk Schtick"
Cyber Noodle Soup
- WILLIAM GIBSON: CYBER-PUNK READ
- "Queen Victoria's Personal Spook...":
here and here.
Same interview in Russian
National Public Radio: Fresh Air
- Terry Gross interviews author William Gibson.
Shift: Mondo 2000 7 (Fall 1989): 58-64.
- High Tech High Life -- William Gibson & Timothy Leary In Conversation. Undated interview mentions Count Zero but not Mona Lisa Overdrive.
- Interview by Larry McCaffery
Review, available through the
- "3 Questions with William Gibson" available through the Internet Archive.
- An interview with mr William Gibson with Swedish translation.
Uncertain, 1993 or later
Orange County Register / Cyber Noodle Soup
- Read available through the Internet Archive.
Mail me suggestions