Moving Beyond the Self-Study: Using Assessment to Enhance Teaching Effectiveness
Overview of the following:
· Specify student learning outcomes (SLOs).
· List courses that contribute to each SLO.
· Highlight courses targeted for assessment.
· Review syllabi and identify related course objectives and assignments for assessment.
Creating and Implementing the Annual Assessment Plan
· Specify SLOs.
· Identify assignments in which assessment will be conducted.
· Select assessment procedures.
· Specify student performance criteria.
· Build performance assessment rubrics.
· Conduct assessment activities.
Evaluate data and report findings.
Each participant will complete the curriculum mapping exercise and create an assessment plan.
Creating a teaching effectiveness plan:
Creating the Plan
· Study previous assessment findings.
· Specify teaching effectiveness outcomes.
· Establish strategies for improvement.
· Select related teaching methods and/or evaluation techniques.
· Identify criteria for teaching success.
Completing the Plan
· Compare assessment findings to criteria.
· Take appropriate actions.
Each participant will create a teaching effectiveness plan.