Getting the Most Out of Social Networking Sites:
Target a specific audience. Create a page that reaches an audience that is important to your organization. It is usually better and more effective to target a small niche market at the onset.
- Be a thought leader. Provide valuable and interesting information that people want to check out. It is better to show your expertise in a market, or solving a prospect's problem, than to blather on about your product.
- Encourage people to contact you. Make it easy for people to reach you online, and be sure to follow up personally on your fan mail.
- Participate. Create groups and participate in online discussions. Become an online leader and organizer.
- Make it easy to find your site, via social networking, as well as adding your page into subject directories.
- Experiment. These sites are great because you can try new things. If it isn't working, tweak it, or abandon the effort and try something new. There is no such thing as an expert in social networking; we are all learning as we go!
SOURCE: Author, David Meerman Scott, 'The New Rules of Marketing and PR' (2010)