Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

In times of need....

By:Ashiko-chan

"Another day," Vegeta said as he stared out into the horizon. He turned and walked toward the kitchen to raid the refrigerator, again. As he opened the door a metal pan struck him on the head. " What do you want, woman?" Vegeta asked calmly as he turned to see Bulma, who seemed to be incredibly angry, even lucid.

" Vegeta, if you're going to live here, you're going to live by my standards. Get it?! That means taking showers, doing your laundry, and treating everyone else here with respect!" Bulma screamed as the Saiya-jin prince stared up at her with an apathetic expression on his face.

" Well, if treating others with respect is something to live by, you sure don't set a very good example for that brat of yours," Vegeta said as he arrogantly brushed by Bulma with almost the entire amount of food the household held. Bulma glared at his back, he never listens! If I were a Saiya-jin, I would have turned super Saiyan along time ago. If I could do any damage to him I would! But he has the nerve to say that brat of mine! I'll show him a thing or two, oooo! He's so arrogant! Bulma thought as she stood there watching the retreating saiyan back.

" Brat of mine, baka? If I recall correctly he's your son just as much as mine!" the angry woman hissed at Vegeta's back.

" A child with purple hair is no descendant of a Sayia-jin. Unless he can fight, I am not his father," the Sayia-jin said as he exited the house and flew into the distance.

" I will kill that man if it is the last thing I do!" Bulma growled as she fumed into her son's bedroom. Trunks was sound asleep, and he would not be raised to be anything like his father if Bulma had anything to do with it. Against Vegeta's will, she had chopped of his tail so he'd never turn into one of those beasts that all saiyans that possess a tail turns into. 'This is so disturbing, I think I'll go over to the Son house to talk to Chi Chi, Trunks'll be fine. And besides, my Dad can take care of him' Bulma thought as she hopped into her car and sped off toward the Son house.

''That woman,'' Vegeta said as he landed in a remote area of the wilderness and set the food down on a flat rock beside a creek. " What does she know about respect? I am the Prince of all the Saiya-jin! I don't get half the respect I should! And that brat..." Vegeta continued as he stuffed vast amounts of food into his mouth. " When he gets older he'll look like such a queer with that purple hair! No warrior has ever or will ever have purple hair." He ranted as he engulfed the rest of the food. ' I don't care about her and her brat. I'll stay out here until she comes begging me to come back,' Vegeta thought as he ran off into the woods to go look for dinner.

" Traffic! Arrrggghhh! I'll never make it to talk to ChiChi at this rate!" Bulma raged as she hunched over the steering wheel. Angry thoughts flew through her brain, thoughts of revenge, malice, and humiliation.

Then a large truck swung out and hit her car, snapping her off her train of thought. Her eyes stared out into the open, while blackness slowly over came her. The loud blare of the ambulance’s siren sounded so very far away as night fell on Bulma Briefs.

" CLEAR THE WAY! EMERGENCY!" An e.m.s. worker yelled as the ambulance got quickly to the aid of the suffering Bulma.

" Chichi-Son... got to... get to talk..." Bulma muttered as she was laced into a stretcher and carried away.

brringggg brrrrinngggg

"Coming, coming..." ChiChi said as she wiped her hands on her apron and lifted the phone to her ear. " Moshi Moshi, " she said as she twirled around to keep an eye on the cooking dinner.

" May I speak to a...uh...let's see here....ChiChi Son?"

" Hai, speaking."

" It's about your friend, Bulma...you see something's happened. She kept saying your name so, I think it would be for the best if you got over to the hospital right away..."

" Oh dear! I'll be there right away!" ChiChi said as she grabbed her boots and ran toward the stairs. " GOKU! GOHAN! BULMA'S BEEN HURT! WE'VE GOT TO GET TO THE HOSPITAL! NOW!!!" The three of them raced into their car and to the hospital.

Not too long after they arrived at the hospital, everyone was there to see a friend, or comrade in a desperate problem. Tenshinhan, Chaozu, Lunch, Krillin, Yamcha, Mr. and Mrs.Briefs with baby Trunks, Mr.Popo, Master Roshi, Dende, Korin, and even Piccolo arrived to see Bulma. One person yet remained missing...

" Goku," ChiChi whispered to her husband, " Where's Vegeta? You think he'd at least have the decency to see his own wife."

" You know, I bet he has no clue, I'll go find him" Goku said as he got up and departed, to look for Vegeta. As he flew to see to find the fellow sayian, he thought about all the things he and Bulma had been through, Emperor Pilaf and his sidekicks, those reckless searches for dragon balls, the evil saiyans, and of course, Frieza. 'This could be the end, of everything. If she goes, what will happen to Trunks? If this comes out for the worst, Vegeta will be in no shape to take care of him, not that he is now.' Goku thought as he neared the Saiya-jin prince.

" What do you want with me Kakkarot? Bulma begging me to come home yet?" Vegeta said as Goku touched down.

" No. That's not it, Vegeta."

" What is it then? I've got training to do."

" Bulma's been in an accident."

" Don't toy with me, baka, I'm not in the mood."

" Vegeta, I'm not kidding, she was hit by another car! She's got a concussion, the odds aren't the best, you've go to come with me."

' He's not kidding, when would a word like concussion ever come out of that baka's mouth....unless...' Vegeta thought as he looked up to the taller Saiya-jin. His eyes held a seriousness that didn't seem to belong in his eyes.

" Let's go!" Vegeta yelled as they took off as fast as they could to the hospital.

They neared the hospital room where Bulma was suffering dearly. They raced up into the waiting room where all the others were waiting, their faces all looked grim.

" WHAT’S HAPPENED TO HER?!!? WHERE IS SHE??!! TELL ME D*MN IT!" Vegeta roared at all of the ones who were too, awaiting the news.

" She had a stroke, they say there's a survival rate of about five- percent," Piccolo said in a cold, apathetic tone. Vegeta just stared before he ran away from all of the others, into an empty room and slammed the door behind him.

And there, within the aneseptic smelling walls of the hospital, he lost it.

He broke down and cried and cried. "How can she leave me? I didn't even have a chance to say goodbye! I've been such a b*stard to her, and she's been so nice to me despite all the cr*p I've put her through! This isn't happening!" the sorrowed warrior cried as none other than Piccolo walked into the room.

" Leave" Vegeta hissed as the Namek-jin stopped at the doorway.

" I know what you're going through."

" How? You're nothing but a Namek-jin."

" You might think I'm insane, but just listen. A year before you arrived to destroy this planet, Goku was killed and his son showed an extreme amount of potential. So, I took the kid to train him so he could fight you and that other one. Before I knew it, I was becoming attached to him. I had never had feelings for anyone, I didn't know what to do. But somehow, I felt like I had fulfilled a part of me that seemed to be missing no matter how hard I trained, a strange empitiness within. I never realized how lonely I was. It was a time of need for me, but I was still confused." Piccolo said as Vegeta stared at the seemingly distant, reminiscing fighter.

Enigmatical.

" So I kept him at a distance, and was harsh to him. It was stranger than anything I had ever come upon, I felt something, a need to protect him. Right before your lackey or whatever, Nappa, was going to send him to Enma Daiou, I had flashbacks of what I had been through with him. He was the only person that had ever talked to me, as a person, who respected me. And in his time of need, I sacrificed myself to save him. It was bizarre, I didn't feel myself going to guard that attack from him, but I did. I knew then, that I had a friend, a real purpose to be here. The empitness filled. And if it wasn't for him, I might of not been ever wished back here. Gohan and I never talk about this, I don't talk to anyone about this, and I’m no softer for it. But I thought you might need to hear it...but you don't seem to know that we can see through the barrier you keep up. But she could see past it better than anyone... ," the Namek-jin said as he walked out of the room. Vegeta sat there in utmost shock, Piccolo had just showed signs of sympathy? He began to realize the correlation between his story, and the Namek-jin's, and the more than subtle idolization that Kakkarot's son had for the Namek.

Then he knew what he had to do.

He raced into Bulma's room, pushing guards and medical assistants’ aside as he pushed the cold double doors away. He knelt down beside Bulma, she was now pale from loss of blood, even the heart monitors had been turned off.

" Bulma, don't leave. Our son, needs you, all of your friends need you too... and so do I," Vegeta whispered as he closed his eyes, trying to stop the oncoming tears. His breath was shuddering and one tear escaped and fell on her ash-white face." I...love you... Bulma ... please wake up.... I need you.... Everyone needs you.... Just open your eyes...I'll give my life if it would bring you back...please...wake up!" he continued as he spoke louder with every word. His body was trembling, if he lost her, Kami knows what might happen. Before Bulma, his loneliness far surpassed the pride he felt. Ultimately, he was lost. Bulma saved him, filled his loneliness suffered within, and loved him more than he knew, it was always Bulma. And of course, before he could realize it, he loved her more than she knew. And now the tears cascaded steadily and freely off his face and onto hers, as if she too were crying. Goku stepped quietly into the doorway; tears began to well up in his eyes as well. ChiChi held him tighter, and cried into his chest, Goku never thought of what life would be without ChiChi. ChiChi wept into her husband’s chest, knowing that her best friend is lost forever. The waiting room had a death like silence as everyone awaited the news, Gohan and Krillin remembered their trip to Namek, and how they couldn't have made it without Bulma. Yamcha, was still in a state of shock. His ex, his long-time friend that he had met the same time as Goku, brought the worst sorrow he had ever experienced. Even when Bulma said that she was having a son, not of his, but of VEGETA's, surpassed that. Knowing that he no longer was a part of her life by the previous known terms. He stared as the linoleum floors of the antiseptic smelling hospital as Goku and ChiChi emerged out of the room, and their faces bore no hope.

Vegeta still held her hand as he wept uncontrollably. His mind began to fall with thoughts of Bulma, and finally, she awoke to see Vegeta there with tears rolling down his face. They both brought forth the smile buried deep within, and Vegeta’s tears stopped as he rose up above the bed. He shoved his tears and pride aside as he embraced her fully. No words were to be said, for they don’t need words to say a thing. She now knows he’ll be there, if she ever needs him in a time of need.

Smile….

Is what she said when depression and lonliness reached its peak…

I’m worried about you…

Was her statement when I could not sleep…

If all else fails, I’ll be here….

She said after I shrugged of efforts of her good cheer…

Hey, Vegeta, You’ll get there…

She inspired when Super Saiya-jin seemed lost and I sulked in despair…

Baka! You won’t get anywhere in that kind of training!

Was what she yelled at me that one day as it continued raining…

C’mere and let me treat your injuries …

She called to me and our emotions fell into jumbled flurries…

Are you sure you’ll be okay?…

She questioned while she treated my wounds and then looked at me to say…

Vegeta…

At a hushed whisper as I stared into her eyes and then…

….

Was all the noise to be heard while we kissed, then later when…

Uh, Vegeta I’m….

Was what she started to say two weeks later at breakfast time…

Pregnant…

She finished as my jaw went slack and mind went numb and time went stagnant…

Husband…

Is what I am for her now, and forever more…

Father…

So now more than ever before….

Love….

Is what I know we have that will never be severed…

Bulma…

Has been it all from yesterday, to today, and eternally forever…

Life without Bulma…

That will never be…

Son….

Is all that is left in life for me…

If he should lose her on this day…

And then I would mourn and cry the night away….

And then he can only hope…

She will be okay…

And until the day they meet again…

I’ll suffer through restless days and nightmared sleep and finally then…

He’ll remember what she said for all the while…

Whenever I’m lonely, always try to smile.