The Paso (meaning "step") is another breed which owes its origins to the Barb, and Andulusian horses introduced to South America by the Spaniards. The first horses in Peru were taken there around the 1500's - 1600's by Francisco Pizarro. The Paso's characteristic lateral gait is thought to have been inhereted by the Spanish "jennet",(Azteca) which was a riding horse akin to the Criollo. The lateral movement has been perserved down the centuries; the Paso usually demonstrates a preference for it over the canter. The Paso is unlike any other lateral gait in that the horse's forelegs arc out to the side as he moves. With his hindlegs he takes long, straight strides, carrying his hindquartes low, with his hocks well underneath him. This combination of flowing foreleg movement and powerfully driving hindlegs give a particularly smooth ride. The Paso is said to be able to reach speeds of up to 15mph and to maintain the lateral gait over rough terrain for extended perioids without tiring. Fairly small and stockily built, the Paso is noted for its sure-footedness, its ability to thrive on meagre rations and its kind nature. It makes an ideal ranch and long distance horse.
- **Height: 14-15.2
- **Color: Any, but mostly bay, gray, chestnut, and occasionaly black, palomino, and sometimes paints normally crossbreeds.
- **Conformation: Intelligent looking head; fairly short, muscular neck; strong shoulders; strong body with broad deep chest; strong rounded hindquarters; short, strong legs and excellent feet.
Buy me atEquine.com
This mare shows the true beauty, grace and essence that a Paso should show!
El Joyero de La Libertad
Buy me atEquine.com
This handsome gelding is a perfect example of a very nice Paso; stockily built, short, compact, and strong.
Fuente' de Calor
Smaller Porto Rican bred Paso
Breed your Paso to me atEquine.com
This beautiful stallion
- is a great specimine of a Porto. Paso. They are
- usually more unusual colors. For example:
Last but not least....*RJS KINEÑO of the Black Horse Trading Company!
The sire of~
- Sire of*RJS RESUEÑO
- 1998 United States National Reserve Champion
- Performance Stallion
- Sire of *LA PALOMA BLANCA BHTC
- 1998 Champion Junior Mare, Deep South Show
- 1999 Champion Junior Mare, Deep South Show
- PPHRNA 1999 Fourth Place High Point Filly
*RJS KINEÑO's Records
- *National Champion Pleasure Stallion
- *Champion Performance Stallion
- *Champion Breeding Stallion
- *2 X Reserve Champion
- *47 Awards in 12 Shows
- *1st - Top Ten Performance Horse
- *In Top Three Thirty Times