Calendar of Events
What is Georgia law?
All children "between their 6th and 16th birthdays" must attend a public
or private school or a home study program. In order to legally operate
a home school, parents must fulfill the following conditions:
- Parent or guardian must annually submit to the superintendent of the
local school district in which the program is located a Declaration
Of Intent to Utilize A Home Study Program by September 1 or within 30
days after a program is established. The local school superintendent
will provide a form upon request for the purpose to be returned to that
- The Declaration must include the names and ages of the students, the
address where the program is located and the dates of the school year.
(Note: You are not required to give them any other information. For
example: your phone number, whether you child has special needs, etc.)
- Parents or guardians may teach only their own children. The teaching
parent or guardian must have at least a high school diploma or equivalent
GED certificate. If a tutor is employed, the tutor must hold a high
school diploma or equivalent GED.
- The home study program must include but is not limited to instruction
in reading, language arts, mathematics, social studies, and science.
- The school year must include the equivalent of 180 days of at least
4-1/2 hours of instruction per day unless the child is physically unable
to comply with this requirement.
- Monthly attendance reports must be sent to the local superintendent
at the end of each month. The local school superintendent will upon
request provide the reporting forms.
- Students in Home Study Programs shall be subject to an appropriate
Nationally Standardized Testing Program administered in consultation
with a person trained in the administration and interpretation of norm
reference tests. The student must be evaluated at least every three
years beginning at the end of the third grade. Records of such tests
shall be retained.
- The instructor shall write an annual progress assessment report in
each required subject area for each student. These reports shall be
retained for at least three years.
For your intent forms and attendance forms, please contact the Board
of Education office in your area..
Annual Progress Assessment Report -->