26 June 1786
Dividends to be paid
Elizabeth & John Sanderson, Staithes, Shopkeepers 

24 November 1786
We hear from Skelton in Cleveland, Yorkshire, that the smuggling trade upon that coast 
has greatly increased of late, and many thousand gallons of spiritscontinue to be landed
between that place and Robin Hood's Bay. 

17 May 1789
Dividends to be paid
8 June - Christopher Moor, Staithes, Draper, at 10 at the Black Lion, Stockton, Durham

21 July 1790
Whitehall, July 20
The King has been pleased to grant to John Campion, of Sleights, in the Township of 
Eskdaleside, in the North Riding of the County of York, Gentleman, and his issue, his 
Royal Licence in Authority to assume and use the Surname of Coates, in addition to that of 
Campion, and also to bear the arms of Coates, in pursuance of the last will of his Uncle, 
William Coates, late of Sleights, aforesaid, Esq.

13 February 1798
Extract from a letter from Robin Hood's Bay, dated February 3, 1798, - "The Eliza, Capt. 
Burton, (bound to the northward) is just put in here, by whom we learn, that on the 20th 
ult., the Thrasher, brig, of 18 guns, engaged and afterwards drove on shore, on the Coast 
of Holland, l'Antiope, French privateer, carrying 22 guns, and 127 men. 

24 March 1801
It was reported yesterday that five sail of French ships of war had been descried 
cruizing off Robin Hood's Bay, on the coast of Yorkshire.

2 December 1803
The fishing boats of Staithes, Robin Hood's Bay, and Filey have been this year uncommonly
successful in the herring fishery off Yarmouth, having taken  from 20 to 25 lasts - A last
of herrings is 10,000.

2 December 1803
The William, of Scarborough, Capt. Roskrage, from London, and the Orford, of North Shields,
Robert Hoggarth, from London to shields, both in ballast, after having been taken by a
lugger privateer, of 6 guns, are recaptured by the Monkey, gun-brig.

Prisoners at Verdun (Prisoners of war)
The following Masters of British captured vessels were in good health at Verdun on 1st of
May, includes -
Robert White - Ship Argo - Whitby
W.Holtby - ship Mary - Scarborough
R.Williamson - ship Eagle - Scarborough
R.Goldby - ship -Bealey - Scarborough
T.Merchant - ship Hope - Whitby
R.Allison - ship Neptune - Whitby
S.Postgate - ship Hope - Scarborough


Prisoners at Longwy (Prisoners of war)
Those who were left well on 1 July 1841 include -
John Pearson, Whitby
William Nesfield, Whitby
Jos.Richardson, Whitby
Thomas Harrison, Whitby
William Bowering, Scarborough
Moses Walker, Scarborough
Sol. Postgate, Scarborough

2 August 1817
Dover, July 29
At this place I saw the master of the lugger and some of the crew, which had the action 
in Robin Hood's Bay with the revenue cutterlast winter, and several of the people concerned
in the murder of the Fox's crew. One party of sturdy fellows, nine in number, invariably
walk about, each armed with a large stick, and always in company; and they publicly boast
that next winter they will fit out several large cutters, which will carry too many guns
for the revenue.

3 December 1821
The Hellegina, from Stockton,bound to Dordt with lead, was carried into Whitby 28thh ult.
nearly in a sinking state, assisted by some cobbles and fishermen belonging to Robin Hood's
Bay, who fell in with her at sea.
19 October 1824
Redcar, Oct. 13 - Redcar during the early part ofthis week was visitedby one of the most
tremendous storms ever known there. On Sunday the wind blew very hard, and continued all
Monday. In the evening an express was sent from Lord Dundas, for the life-boat as a vessel
off Marsk gave signals of distress. The following morning about 20 ships came on shore; the
life-boat was dragged to the Tees Mouth, and immediately launched to the ship, called the
Friends, of London (but it is feared all on board perished),as the crew were seen clinging
to the rigging, which broke away from the ship. The men who had the command of the life-boat
made a desperate effort to reach the Neptune, commanded by Captain Jameson, which had struck
on the most dangerous part of the coast, called the South Knowle. The crew, 14 in number,
were saved, and immediately after the ship drifted down the Tees, a complete wreck; a fine
boy of the name of Chambers, only 14 years old, was saved from a watery grave, by the
gallantry of one of his brother sailors. 

30 October 1824
The crew of the Neptune, Jameson, wrecked near Redcar, arrived here on the 18th inst., 
in good health and spirits, after experiencing the most humane treatment, attention, 
and liberality, from the inhabitants and visitors in the above neighbourhood. To Lady 
Eliz. Dundas, Lady Turner, Lords Dundas and Milton, General Vansittart, F.Leetham and
Henry Yeoman, Esqrs. with numerous other respectable persons, whose names they were
not made acquainted with, they are under the deepest obligations. Carriages were ready
on the beach to convey those not able to walk, and Lords Dundas and Milton attended the 
setting off of the life-boat, to encourage the crew to push into the dreadful breakers,
the hands being rather short. Having arrived safe on shore, they were taken to the head
inn, where dry clothes, plenty of victuals, and punch, were provided ; and orders were
given for them to be supplied with every necessary. On leaving Recar, their past expenses
were paid, and two shirts, two pairs of stockings, a pair of shoes, a pair of mittens,
one neckerchief, and one pound, were given to each man, to enable them to reach home 
comfortably - Hull Packet

17 January 1828
On Monday, the 7th instant, about eight o'clock in the evening, a boy of the name of 
James Morgan, about 15 years of age, in the employ of Mr. William Robinson, miller,
near Robin Hood's Bay, was working in the mill with another boy and his uncle (who
had been servant in the mill for the last 25 years). The grinding part of the machinery
and also the dressing cylinder, were in full operation at the time, and the boy, Morgan,
was sent up to the first floor to feed the cylinder with flour. Near to the steps on which 
he had to stand is the upright cast iron shaft which turns the cylinder. The boy had on a
smockfrock, and whether he had slipped off the steps against the shaft or not, cannot be
ascertained, but in about two minutes after he had gone up, his uncle found that something
impeded the machinery, and he imediately ordered the other boy to turn the water off. On
running up stairs, he found that the frock of James Morgan had entangled with, and wrapped
him up close to the shaft, which, in its regular operation, moves round about 85 times in a 
minute, and is placed so near the wall, that although the body passed free of it round with
the shaft, yet the head and legs, of course, came at every point into dreadful concussion,
and were mangled in a shocking manner. His skull and head were literally crushed to atoms.
His frock was obliged to be cut all the way down before the body could be extricated. An
inquest was held the next day, before Henry Belcher, Esq., coroner, and a verdict of 
accidental death found. Persons possessing property of this description, where there is so 
much machinery, ought to be careful to enclose or fence off such parts as may endanger the
workmen. In the present instance the shaft was quite exposed, and in a very contracted 
situation. The proprietor, however, promised the Coroner and Jury that it should be
protected forthwith. Smockfrocks ought also not to be worn by workmen in such situations.
Hull Packet    

4 December 1828
The Union, Dobson, of Whitby, is on shore near Robin Hood's Bay, and will be a total wreck.
Crew saved, but cannot learn names.

11 November 1830
On Wednesday last, a fishing coble, with three men, viz. John Corner, John Miller, and
Edward Theaker, was struck, near Staithes, by a knot of a sea,which sent in her stern, 
and upset her. The accident was observed from the shore and every assistance rendered, but 
unfortunately the two former perished. - Hull Packet

3 January 1833
We never had to relate a more desperate attempt at, and, in fact, an actual commission of
the crime of rape, than has occurred in the neighbourhood of Whitby. On Monday the 3rd ult., 
a fellow dressed in the ragged apparel of a shipwrecked sailor, brutally attacked a 
defenceless female, aged 75, at a place called Upgang-lane, on the west-side of the town.
Information was, that night, given to Mr.wilkinson, the police-officer, who searched every
spot likely to be the resort of such people, but without effect. On the following daythis
monster knocked another woman down, named Mitchelson, and endeavoured to effect his horrid
purpose, in which he failed. The next morning, about half-past 11, this brute in human shape
violently attacked a married woman named Holsey, of Robin Hood's Bay, aged 50 years, near
to the New-gardens, about half a mile from Whitby, and he finally accomplished his brutal
design, and then absconded towards the Abbey, where it is supposed he secreted himself. 
Mr. Wilkinson had then further information respecting this fellow, which agreed with that
already given, and he directly comenced another active search of the Abbey, accompanied by
a number of sailors, who ransacked the ruins, and they jointly extended themselves on the 
sea cliffs and woods in the vicinity, but without success. At length the fellow made his
appearance on the bridge, where Mr.Wilkinson was stationed, who apprehended him on 
suspicion, and conveyed him to one of the females, named Carr, who positively swore to his
person. Mr.Wilkinson proceeded to Robin Hood's Bay, the residence of Mrs. Holsey, who on
the Saturday following swore to his identity, and the commission of the actual crime. After
the prisoner's apprehension a woman called Ward complained of being knocked down and ilused
on the sands by this ruffian. The prisoner gave his name of Huse, and said he was a native
of Essex. He seems about 29 years of age, and is quite a stranger to Whitby, and had
recently arrived in a small vessel, sleeping on board at nights, and thereby escaping
Mr.Wilkinson's vigilance. He has since been committed for the capital offence to take his
trial at the asizes. - York Courant

10 August 1835
On the 6th inst., at Tunbridge Wells, Emma, the widow of the late William Chaloner, Esq., 
of Gisborough, Cleveland, Yorkshire, aged 82.

30 September 1835
Melancholy Death by Drowning
Mr.Smales Jackson and his wife, who resided in a small cottage near the village of Ruswarp,
about two miles from Whitby, on the York Road, were both unfortunately drowned on Saturday
last under very mysterious circumstances. The inquest which was held the following morning,
could get no evidence which thre light on the cause of this melancholy event. It appears
that one of Jackson's own little children was playing on the chain-bridge across the Esk
(which is a very short distance from his cottage), and seeing its father and mother in the
water, ran and told Mrs.Wray, the bridge toll-keeper, who went immediately to the spot, 
but could see nothing except a slight bubbling on the water. An alarm was given, and a
search commenced for the bodies, which were both found about half-an-hour after, but all
animation was for ever gone. Another litle child, which was in the house, said her mother
was ironing, but she laid down her work and went out, and her father soon after followed;
and the child saw them no more. Of course, the coroner's jury returned a verdict of "Found
Drowned". The parties had only been married a fortnight or three weeks. The children, of 
whom several are left destitute, were Jackson's by a former wife. - Chester Chronicle

7 October 1835
A most melancholy catastrophe took place at Ruswarp, in the neighbourhood of Whitby, on
Saturday week. A man of the name of Smales Jackson, a roper by trade, lived in a little
cottage on the dam side, near Ruswarp Mill. He had been thrice married, his third wedding
having taken place about three weeks since. He had several children living by his former
wives. On Saturday week some altercation arose between himself and his wife, and she, 
under great excitement, left the house and threw herself into the river. Her husband,
being a most excellent swimmer, plunged into the stream, and was drowned also. The bodies
were buried in the same grave, between the graves of Jackson's two former wives, on Tuesday
week - Sunderland Herald  

26 December 1836
Constabulary Forces in the Counties of England and Wales
In the answer to the question respecting the existence of lodging-house in the Division
of Whitby Strand, in the North Riding of York, it is stated:-
There are houses of this description. The chief inducement to vagrancy in the townis the
relief given by mistaken but benevolent individuals more particularly by the poorer class.
Instances have occurred where the names of such benevolent persons have been found in the
possession of vagrants, obtained, no doubt, from their fellow-travellers. In the surrounding
country, extending in most parts over a wild and unpopulous district for about 20 miles
east, south, and west, the houses are so detached from one another that the farmers are,
from various causes, afraid of refusing relief. The vagrants generally take up their abode
on their journies to and fro, at Staithes or Runswick, ten miles to the west, and Robin
Hood's Bay, six miles to the east, all fishing villages, where there are lodging-houses
for their reception.


Fatal Accident at Whitby
On Wednesday last an accident of a melancholy nature happened near Whitby. 
Mr.William Mann, and Mr.Robert Howard, of Whitby, and Mr.Hawson, of 
Pickering, engaged a cobble to take them into the roads for the purpose of shooting
seagulls. They had not been long engaged in this sport before a fatal accident 
occurred to one of them. Mr.Mann had laid his fowling piece over one of the seats,
resting its muzzle upon it, to be easy of access when wanted; and, a shot presenting
itself, he hastily laid hold of the piece by the muzzle, the lock being downwards,
and whilst drawing it across the seat, the hammer caught it, by which the cap was 
burst, and the contents of the gun struck him on the temples. It was about noon when
this fatal occurrence took place, and they were not less than four miles from the 
harbour. The men in attendance were ordered to pull home with all possible speed,
which they reached a little before 1. On reaching the harbour, Mr.Wilson, a surgeon,
was in attendance, who had him conveyed to Mr.Walker's, the Neptune Inn, where
he examined the wound and declared it to be fatal; he appeared much convulsed, but
death soon put a period to his sufferings. The deceased was a fine-looking promising
young man, esteemed by all who knew him, and his loss will be severely felt in the
circle in which he moved. He was grandson of Mrs.Carr, of Bagdale, Whitby. In the
afternoon of the same day an inquest was heard before Mr.Robert Preston, coroner,
and a respectable jury, when a verdict of "accidental death" was returned.

19 November 1838
A longish letter about poor conditions at the Whitby Workhouse. details available on 


Stoppage of a bank at Whitby
An extraordinary sensation and panic were felt in this town, on Monday last, by the 
closing of the banking establishment of Messrs. Campion, in Church-street. The partners
in this old-established and well-known firm are not only babkers but ship-owners, manu-
facturers, and, in short, are very largely conneced with the trade of the port and the
interests of commerce generally. A gentleman at Whitby thus writes on the subject -
"My object in writing to you now is, to inform you that Campion's bank closed on Monday;
in fact it was never opened for business. This has caused onee of the greatest stagnations
that could befal Whitby. Farmers are flocking in from all sides with notes, and stand 
round the bank, looking as if they knew not what to think. There are many rumours as to 
the cause, but nothing is yet known for a certainty. Their 5/- notes were yesterday sold
for 50s each - that is a poor affair, but many think the first loss is the best. The ship-
yards, smith's shops, block and mast-yards, and kelp works, carried on by them, are all 
closed, thereby throwing 100 hands out of employment. This is a serious occurrence for 
Whitby and its neighbourhood, and I am afraid it is the forerunner of great distress."

7 February 1843

Another Dreadful Shipwreck
Whitby - Sunday morning 
One of the most distressing shipwrecks that has occurred on this part of the coast for
several years took place yesterday morning at the entrance of Robin Hood's Bay, situate 
a few miles to the south of this harbour and to the north of Scarborough Castle, whereby,
we regret to state, a party of the Coast Guard Service, belonging to the stationat that
place, under the command of the chief officer, Lieutenant Lingard, R.N., with the crew 
of the distressed vessel, consisting of six persons, met with a watery grave. The particulars 
are as follows:- During Friday night and yesterday morning the wind blew a hurricane from 
N.E. Early in the morning a brig was observed endeavouring to run into the bay for shelter, 
but a tremendous sea threw the vessel upon her broadside, and drove her ashore, within a 
short distance from the entrance of the bay. The crew made every exertion to get her off, 
but finding it impossible, and that her destruction would speedily follow, they took to the 
rigging for safety. Immediately upon their situation being observed by the officer on duty 
near the spot, he hastened to give the alarm to the station. Lieutenant Lingard directly 
ordered the life-boat to be launched, into which he got, followed by five of his men, and 
they pushed off in gallant style to the distressed vessel, which proved a collier belonging 
to London, named the William and Ann. The sea being excessively high, and as it snowed heavily, 
it wa a length of time before they could reach the vessel. Upon coming alongside, the crew 
were taken off, and the boat's head was put about for the shore, Lieutenant Lingard taking 
charge of the helm. She had not reached any considerable distance from the wreck before a 
heavy wave struck the boat and turned her bottom up, thowing the whole of her living freight 
into the boiling surf. Lieutenant Lingard andseveral others immediately rose and clung to 
the boat, while others attempted to gain the shore by swimming. Their cries could be plainly 
heard from the beach, but it was beyond all human power to render them assistance. Every soul 
perished. An attempt was made by the brig Ayton, which happened to be within a short distance 
of the spot, and four seamen, to go to their assistance, but their boat was upset, and they
narrowly escaped meeting with a similar fate. The names of the coastguard-men who perished
with Lieutenant Lingard are reported to be Christpher Trueman, William Pond, Robert Avery,
Edward Jellings, and another. The names of the crew of the vessel are not yet known. Most
of the sufferers have families residing in the town, and are highly respected, particularly
Lieutenant Lingard, whose loss is greatly deplored. Up to the present hour, 8 o'clock
Sunday morning , only one body has been washed ashore; it is that of a seaman, and is 
supposed to be one of the crew belonging to the wreck. The vessel lies high upon the 
shore, and is expected hourly to go to pieces.   

9 February 1843
At Staithes the hurricane on Friday was severely felt. The sea put on a most awful
appearance; nothing could withstand its fury. About 10 o'clock onthe following morning
a light brig, named the Thomas, of North Shields, drove on shore within a few miles of
the town. Through the great exertions of hundreds who had assembled on shore, the crew
were all saved by means of a rope from the ship. The vessel is a total wreck.

25 September 1843
Coast Guard
Lieutenant H.Warren, appointed to Robin Hood's Bay, near Whitby, vice H.Evison, who has 
resigned, having been appointed to the Deputy-Governorship of the Queen's Bench. 

18 October 1843
First Report of the Select Committee on Shipwrecks
includes a passage
"Your committee look with admiration to the many instances in which the officers and men
upon the coast-guard service have, at the greatest personal risk, exerted themselves in
saving the lives of others; and in the case of Lieutenant Lingard, with the loss of his
own life and that of several of the crew, in Robin Hood's Bay."

24 October 1843
At the mouth of the Humber, near Flamborough-head, a fishing boat belonging to Hull was 
run down by a colier; and five persons belonging to the crew of the former perished; and
on Tuesday, about midnight, the Adonis, of Whitby, was run into by a vessel unknown, by
which means her bowsprit was carried away, sending her starboard bow completely in. The
master of the Adonis, Mr. Brown, instantly ordered the pumps to be sounded, and in half
an hour she had seven feet of water in her hold. The leakage increasing the captain and
crew, about 1 o'clock, were obliged to leave the ship, which they no sooner did than she
went down. After beating about for four hours they were picked up by the Shepherd, Captain
Shepherd, who landed them safely at Bridlington.

8 December 1843
Wivenhoe, Dec. 2 - A schooner (supposed to be the Fowler, of Whitby), was seen to founder,
with all hands, off Robin Hood's Bay, on the 28th ult., by the Caesar, arrived here. 
28 November 1844
We have to record the death of Lieutenant-General the Hon. Sir Robert Laurence Dundas,
which took place on Saturday afternoon, the 23rd inst., at Loftus,near Gisborough, 
Yorkshire. (details of his army career follow) 

1 June 1846
Coast Guard
Mr. R.Chambers, R.N., to Robin Hood's Bay Station, vice Lieutenant Warren, removed.  

18 December 1850

Reference the Emma, 407 tons register, Captain John Rhind, owners John and James Wait, 
of North Shields, on voyage from North shields to Constantinople with coal - crew of 15
"On the 29th November , when abreast of the Lizard, which bore 15miles north west, wind
S.S.E., blowing strong, topsails set, Richard Dickson, 22, of Redcar, Yorkshire, was on
the fore-yardarm, getting some of the gear in, when he unfortunately overbalanced himself
and fell into the sea. It was 5 o'clock in the morning, pitchy dark, but the chief mate
and five hands put off in the boat, which was absent three-quarers of an hour, and the 
master was afraid she was lost, there was so much sea running. She, however, returned
without success......."

7 December 1877
Yesterday the Plymouth pilot cutter No.1 towed into Plymouth the brig Runo, 192 tons, Captain
Burnett, which vessel was dismasted yesterday morning. The Runo was built at Dundee in 1849,
her registered owner being Mr.M.Storm, of Robin Hood's Bay, Yorkshire. She the Tyne on the
8th of November for Lisbon with a cargo of small coals, but experienced bad weather and put
into Hartlepool for repair. She then proceeded, but was obliged to put into Yarmouth. Having
once more proceeded, all went well until 6 am yesterday, when off the Eddystone. The crew were
tacking her, when the foremast was carried away by the trestle-trees, bringing down all the
top gear, yards etc. The maintopmast was also carried away, with all its appendages, breaking
in its fall the side lights.

28 September 1881
A new lifeboat was launched on Monday afternoon at Robin Hood's Bay, near Whitby. The boat is 
the gift of the children of Ephraim and Hannah Fox, of Dewsbury.   

11 August 1885
On the 6th inst., at Sleights Church, Yorkshire,by the Rev. Henry Walker, uncle, assisted by the
Rev. T.Walker, brother of the bride, Charles, second son of Henry H. Allan, Esq., of Hempsyke, 
Yorkshire, and Croydon, Surrey, to Mary, second daughter of the Rev. Thomas Walker, Vicar of
Sleights and Ugglebarnby.

Go to the Contents Page for Times Extracts
Go to my Whitby Homepage
Go to my Main Site Homepage