3 March 1880
A disasterous fire occurred yesterday morning inthe jet ornament manufactory
of Mr.F.Winterburn, Whitby. A large and valuable collection of jet ornaments
intended for shipment to Canada was entirely destroyed and the building was
considerably damaged. The loss is estimated at several thousands of pounds.

22 March 1880
Whitby, 20th
Trade very brisk during the past week. Considerable improvement in the jet
industry, and some good orders have been received for the higher class of
goods. The iron shipbuilding trade is good, and the yards are nearly all
fully employed.

16 April 1880
All hope with regard to the safety of the bark Watersprite, of Whitby, is 
now abandoned, and the Board of Trade have issued an order for an official
inquiry to be made into the cause of the disaster. The Watersprite was a
vessel of 346 tons register, and was commanded by Captain William Stevens, 
York-terrace, Whitby, and she was manned by a crew of eight or nine hands. 
The vessel sailed from Shields so long ago as December last with a cargo 
of coals for Malaga, in Spain, and as she has not been since heard of, it
is assumed that she foundered during the heavy gales of that month. The
Watersprite was owned by Mr.George Milburn, Esk-terrace, Whitby, and was

20 April 1880
From the annual report of the National Lifeboat Institution it appears that
during the past year 12 new lifeboats had been placed on the following
stations :-
Northumberland, Blyth; Yorkshire, Runswick, Upgang, and Whitby; ........

8 June 1880
Inquest - At Newholm, near Whitby, yesterday, Mr.George Buchanan, coroner, 
held an inquest on the body of William Easton, a publican, who on the
previous Saturday was eating his dinner when a large piece of unmasticated
animal food accidentally became wedged so firmly in his gullet that it was
impossible to remove it, and he choked. A verdict in accordance with these
facts was returned.

19 October 1880
The Whitby Jet Trade
The Whitby jet trade, which has been in a depressed state for so many years,
is again looking-up. When the bad times came the Whitby jet ornament trade 
was one of the first of the fancy industries to suffer, and the fashion or
the taste for jet ornaments as articles of mourning changed. Jet, however,
npw appears to be coming into favour again, not only for mourning purposes
but for ordinary adornment. On inquiry it would appearthat the increased 
demand is by no means confined to England, but extends over France and
Germany. The chief exportations, however, are to America.

30 October 1880
Whitby, Oct.28
After saving two shipwrecked crews this morning, the Robert Whitworth lifeboat
returned to the shore, but later in the day she was again called out and was
the means of saving the crew of five men from the schooner John Soles. The
other lifeboat at this port, belonging, like the above, to the National Life-
boat Institution, was also the means of bringing ashore the crew, numbering
five men, of the schooner Elizabeth Austens. The sea was running fearfully 
high at the time.

6 November 1880
The National Lifeboat Institution
On Thursday a meeting of this institution was held at its house, John-street, 
Adelphi; Mr.Thomas Chapman in the chair.
The second service clasp was also voted to Mr.Henry Freeman, coxswain of the 
Whitby lifeboat, in acknowledgement of his brave conduct in putting off four
times last Thursday to the rescue of shipwrecked crews. 
The thanks of the institution, inscribed on vellum, to Captain Richard Sherris,
harbourmaster at Falmouth, and 5 10s to their boats' crews for saving the 
master and two of the crew of the brig Marys, of Whitby, which was wrecked on
the Black Rock at the entrance to Falmouth Harbour during a heavy E.N.E. gale
and high sea on the 22nd of October.  

8 November 1880
All hopes as to the safety of the fine new screw steamer Mildred, of Whitby,
is now almost abandoned. The vessel sailed from New York for Marseilles with
a cargo of wheat on the 28th September last, and, in ordinary circumstances
would have arrived at her destination about the 12th or 14th ult. She has not
been heard of since and it is feared that with her crew of over 20 hands she
has foundered. The only remaining hope is that the vessel may be yet under 
canvas, her engines having broken down, or that the crew have been picked up
by some passing steamer. The Mildred was only built in July last year, by 
Messrs. Turnbull and Son, Whitby, and was an exceedingly fine vessel, of nearly
2,000 tons carrying capacity. She left port under the command of Mr.John Leng, 
of Whitby, and among others of the crew  who signed articles were E.Grainger,
chief mate, Robin Hood's Bay; R.Burn, second mate, Whitby; J.Blackburn, 
carpenter, Whitby; and George Graham, steward, also of Whitby.
The crew of the Richard, a large fishing yawl, belonging to Staithes, near 
Whitby, and which is supposed to have gone down at sea during the recent gale,
consisted of nine hands - namely Richard Thompson, master, married, five
children; Matthew Thompson, single; Joseph Thompson, married, one child
(brothers); Richard Ackwood, married; Isaac Verril, single; William Crispin,
single; John Newton, married, five children; another, name unknown. The
whole of the village of Staithes is in mourning.

15 November 1880
Whitby, 13th
The iron shipbuilding trade is very brisk. The jet ornament trade is good,
the demand for the higher class of articles being better than has been
known for several years past.

20 November 1880
(Report similar to that above re the Mildred but giving slightly different 
details, viz.
The Mildred was a vessel of 883 tons register, with a carrying capacity of
about 1,500 tons, and was built as recently as the middle of last year by 
Messrs. Turnbull and Son, Whitehall, Whitby, who were the owners. The
following is a list of the crew which shipped on board the Mildred:-
Mr.John Leng, Whitby, captain
Mr.E.Granger, Robin Hood's Bay, chief mate
Mr.Robert Burn, Whitby, second mate
R.Blackburn, Whitby, carpenter
M.Acton, boatswain
George Graham, steward
William Jones, cook
O.Cron, seaman
W.Harvey, seaman
Edward Murphy, seaman
J.Jefferson, seaman
L.Bonice, seaman
_ Valentine, seaman
W.Atkinson, seaman
Mr.J.Cooper, chief engineer
T.Scott, second engineer
J.Sutton, third engineer
William Williams, donkeyman
J.Driscoll, fireman
R.Manklin, fireman
R.Mackenney, fireman
T.Beeson, fireman
T.Evans, fireman

25 November 1880
The screw steamer Madeline, of West Hartlepool, 850 tons register, ran on 
the rocks at Staithes, near Whitby, yesterday. The crew were rescued by the 
Staithes lifeboat. It is feared that the vessel will become a total wreck.

12 January 1881
The British steamer Nellie, of Whitby, arrived at Gibraltar on the 5th inst.,
and Captain Douthwaite reported that at 5.30 pm on the 3rd the chief engineer
threw himself overboard and was drowned.

17 January 1881
On Saturday, a little before midnight, the brig Lumley, of south Shields, ran 
ashore at Upgang, near Whitby, during a heavy snow storm. The lifeboat, Robert
Whitworth was launched at Whitby and the Joseph Sykes at Upgang, and although 
there was a terrific sea on they went out to the stranded vessel. The crews of
both lifeboats behaved with singular bravery. No fewer than 13 times was the
Upgang lifeboat hurled back by the terrific sea, yet the crew persevered in 
their task for two hours, at the end of which time they were utterly exhausted,
and several of them on landing were taken from the boat in a fainting condition.
The Whitby boat also struggled gallantly, and was at one time near the vessel,
but owing to some misapprehension with regard to a light exhibited on shore,
which by the lifeboat men was interpreted that the ship's crew had already been 
landed, they returned home. shortly afterwards the ship parted, and every soul 
on board perished. It is computed that the crew consisted of ten hands only.
One of the bodies has been picked up.

20 January 1881
The weather moderated on the Eastern coast yesterday. Eight vessels went ashore
on Great Yarmouth beach during the storm, involving the total loss of the crew of
a brig name unknown, five of the crew of the barque Edith Marion, of London, one 
from the three-masted schooner Sarah Jane, all of those on board the Rapid, of
Whitby, all the crew of a French vessel, six of the crew of the Yarmouth lifeboat,
and the mate of the schooner Guiding star, of Padstow.

21 January 1881 
At Gorleston the brig Battle, of Whitby, from Corunna, stranded and in spite of 
evey effort the whole of the crew, eight in number, were drowned almost within 
a stone's throw of the pier.

1 February 1881
The Whitby Lifeboat Services
The Royal National Lifeboat Institution have allowed double the usual amount to
the crew of the Whitby lifeboat, in testimony to their high admiration of the
bravery displayed by them during the recent terrific gale.

21 April 1881
Collision off Dover
at about 1 o'clock on Tuesday morning the brig Mary, of Whitby, Captain John
Tannerson, coal laden, while lying at anchor off the Foreland Lights, was run into
and sunk by the screw steamer Newlands, of Newcastle. the whole of the crew 
were saved by the steamer, and were conveyed to the Sailor's Home, Dover, where
every attention was paid to them. The Newlands was only slightly damaged on the
port bow.

12 May 1881
At Woolwich, William Cooper, captain of the brig Eliza Ann, of Whitby, was charged
on remand from Tuesday, with assaulting a boy named Heard, an apprentice, and
attempting to throw him into the river Thames. The circumstances of the case 
have been reported. The parents of the lad applied to have his indentures cancelled,
to which the prisoner assented, stating, however, that a person named Storm was the
boy's master, and that his consent would be requisite. As Storm resided in Yorkshire
Mr.Balguy adjourned the question of indentures for a week, and proceeded with the 
charge of cruelty. The boy, in cross-examination by Mr.Hughes, who appeared for the
prisoner, said that one of his legs was in the water when he was rescued from the 
prisoner's violence. Mr.Balguy fined the prisoner 40s.

14 June 1881
Fatal Boat Accident
More than a week ago two young men left Whitby in a pleasure-boat under sail and have
not sincve been heard of. Their destination was Sandsend, a small seaside village
about three miles north of the port of Whitby. Some time after they left the harbour
a rather stiff breeze sprang up from a northerly direction and there was a "lumpy"
sea. It is assumed that while tacking the boat was struck by a sea, capsized, and
sunk. Some hopes were originally entertained that the boat and the young men might
have been picked up by some pasing vessel and landed at some port on the coast, but
those hopes are now abandoned. The names of the men were George Thoresby and William
Taylerson, and they were aged respectively 27 and 30. Thoresby was to have been 
married three days after the supposed fatal mishap.

7 July 1881
Whitby, 6th
Hundreds of houses were flooded. An extensive pile of flour mills at Ruswarp, near
Whitby, was struck by the lightning and took fire, but the flames were subdued 
before much damage was done. Several cattle were killed, and one ot two small houses
in the country were utterly destroyed.

31 August 1881
Yesterday morning, during a strong gale, the schooner Zipporah, at anchor in Whitby Bay,
hoisted a signal of distress, in response to which the Margaret and Edward, lifeboat, of
the National Lifeboat Institution, was launched, and brought the crew safely to shore.
The lifeboat afterwards proceeded to the aid of a Staithes fishing boat, which was in
a position of much danger, and brought her to a place of safety.

4 October 1881
The Whitby Herring Fishery - Last week witnessed the largest importation of herrings
that has occurred in the present season. Thee has been, and is yet, engaged at Whitby,
on the north-east coast, a fleet of boats hailing from Penzance, St.Ives, Lowestoft,
Yarmouth, Scarborough, Hartlepool, South Shields, and many of the Scotch ports, and
each day has witnessed their arrival with good catches of herrings and other kinds of
fish. It is computed that during the last week no fewer than 600 "lasts" wee landed. 
As a last represents 10,000 it will be seen that the almost incredible number of 
6,000,000 individual fish were imported into Whitby. In one single day between 150
and 200 lasts were discharged, being the largest individual catch of the present
season. The average price given at the wholesale markets was about 3s 6d per 100.

17 October 1881
The Mary, of Whitby, Captain Hewson, from Newcastle for Sheerness Dockyard, got ashore
at Aldeburgh, but afterwards drifted off again before anything could be done to secure
her, and is now a mile or more from the shore off Aldeburgh ina sinking state , and it
is feared no portion of her can possibly be saved. The crew were saved.

18 October 1881
Twelve out of 16 fishing boats belonging to Staithes, between Middlesburgh and Whitby,
which were out during the late gale, are believed to have been lost, with all hands.

15 December 1881
The Arica, brig of Whitby, with wood and iron from Soderhamn, is reported from Whitby
to have gone ashore about one mile south of St.Mary's Island. William Harrison, master,
and six crew were taken off by a coble and landed.

9 January 1882
The R.M.Hinton, steamer, from Alexandria, laden with cotton seed, broke her sheer in
Kingroad, parted her cable, took the ground, filled with water, and has since been
driven up the Severn. The captain, accompanied by Lloyd's sub-agent, has gone in a 
tug to try and find her. She is am iron screw steamer of 619 tons, built at Whitby in
1872, and is owned by Messrs. Thomas Turnbull and Sons, Whitby.

30 March 1882
Recognition of Bravery - Captain William Jefferson, of the steamship Caedmon, has been
presented at Whitby with a silver medal and diploma from the King of Portugal, in
recognotion of his bravery and humanity in rescuing the crew of the Portuguese schooner
Alexander Secundo in the Bay of Biscay in October last. The schooner at the time was in
a sinking state, and her crew, seven in number, were in imminent danger of being drowned.
Captain Jefferson took the shipwrecked crew on board, and fed, clothed, and maintained
them until the steamer reached Gibraltar, where they were safely landed. Mr.John Stevenson,
chairman of the local board, was deputed by the Board of Trade to make the presentation.

17 April 1882
The International Fisheries Exhibition
A number of the awards of the jurors have been intimated to the exhibitors at the Inter-
national Fisheries Exhibition in Edinburgh, although the official list has not yet been
Silver Medals have been awarded to
Mr.John Mitchell, Whitby, for dried, salted, and smoked fish

18 April 1882
The International Fisheries Exhibition
Last night the following, among other awards, were issued by the jurors of the Inter-
national Fisheries Exhibition in Edinburgh:-
Mr.John Mitchell, Whitby, silver medal for black red herring

2 May 1882
The Ann Clark, brig, of Whitby, from Hatlepool for Portland (coal), has sunk in the Downs.
Crew landed at Ramsgate.
The Hester, fishing smack, of Whitby, has been totally lost at Whitby. crew saved.
The Sarah, yawl, of Scarborough, Ward master, has been totally lost at Whitby. Crew saved.

5 September 1882
The Herring Fisheries
There are now upwards of 200 boats actively engaged in the prosecution of the herring
fishery at Whitby, a fleet much larger than at present engaged at any other port on the
east coast of England.

21 September 1882
Yesterday morning a foreign-looking schooner, said to be laden with timber, exhibited 
signals of distress while riding at anchor in Whitby Roads. Two lifeboats belonging to
the Royal National Lifeboat Institution, were promptly launched, one from Whitby, and 
the other from Upgang, a mile distant to the north of the harbour. Both boats encountered
most terrific seas and on more than one occasion the Upgang boat was driven back.
Nevertheless the crews pulled with great pluck and determination right out to sea, where
the fall was less dangerous. The Whitby boat first reached the distressed vessel, but the
crew expressed their determination to remain by her. The lifeboats gallantly kept by the 
ship until the storm had moderated, when she was towed into a place of safety.

27 October 1882
The Jane, of Whitby, official number 27,191, Captain Watson, from Newcastle for Dordt, was
abandoned on Wednesday in a sinking condition 16 miles north-north-west of Scheveningen. 
The crew were saved by Dutch piot boat No.45.

30 October 1882
The Light and Sign, (brig), of Whitby, stranded on Palling beach on Saturday, and went 
to pieces 40 minutes afterwards. All hands were lost.

31 October 1882
Further particulars relating to the loss of the brig Light and Sign, of Whitby, together
with all her crew , are to hand. The vessel left Sunderland a few days ago with a full
cargo of coals, bound for Rochester. Encountering heavy weather, she was thrown on Palling
beach, where she broke to pieces in a short space of time. All her crew were drowned.
The ill-fated vessel was 151 tons register, and was owned by Captain Hovington, Silver-
street, Whitby. Among the deceased are William Mellet, aged 42, master; mate, unknown;
Fred Marshall, A.B., Gravesend; ordinary seaman, name unknown, shipped at London, 
belonging to Gravesend; Charles Bryan, 22, apprentice ; Joseph Davis, apprentice. The 
ship was insured in one of the marine clubs of Whitby.

28 December 1882
Missing Vessels
The Tweed, of Whitby, Captain Grover, official number 26,108, which sailed from Hartlepool
for London on 23rd October.
The Wards, of Whitby, Captain Bedlington, official number 14,341, which sailed from Hartlepool
for London of 25th October.

31 January 1883
The steamer which foundered off Porthcawl, near where the Agnes Jack (steamer) was lost, is 
supposed to have been the James Gray, of Whitby, 1626 tons, Captain M'Leod, which left Cardiff
on the 26th of January for Cape Verd. A telegram from Lloyd's Agents at Swansea, dated Jan.30,
5.52pm, states that the body picked up has been identified by the former mate as being that
of Captain M'Leod, of the James Gray. The sextant box picked up near where the body was found
is marked with the maker's name -  David Stalker, Leith. The report that the steamer was the
Black Watch has proved to be without foundation, as that steamer was signalled from Lloyd's
signal station at St.Catherine's, I.W., at 3.30 yesterday afternoon on her way from Hull to
Cardiff, all well.

23 February 1883
A telegram from Constantinople, received at Lloyd's yesterday, states that the King Arthur,
steamer, was totally wrecked off Kilia on February 21, and that the crew were saved. The 
King Arthur, steamer, arrived at Kusteudje on February 16 from Cardiff. She was an iron screw
steamer of 1,007 gross tons, classed 90 A1, Built at Whitby in 1874, and owned by Messrs.
Turnbull and Sons, of Whitby.
(there follows a very similar report, but this says she had a cargo of grain, that she was
commanded by Mr.Joseph Page, of Whitby, that she was built by Turnbull, and that the crew
were saved.)

9 April 1883
The tidings of the loss of the fine new screw steamship Wykeham, of Whitby, was received on
Saturday evening. The vessel was bound from Cardiff, whence she sailed on March 15, for Port
Said, with a cargo of coals. When near Lisbon she appears to have foundered, having probably
collided with some other vessel. Quantities of wreckage and a boat marked "Wykeham" have been
washed ashore at Algrave, near Lisbon; also two dead bodies. The Wykeham was a vessel of 944
tons register, and was commanded by Captain George Smith. She had a crew of 21 and one passenger,
the son of Mr.Joseph Thornton, of Whitby. She was owned by Messrs. Robinson and Rowland, of
Whitby, and was built only last year by Messrs. Turnbull and Sons, of that port.

18 April 1883
An extensive block of buildings owned by the Bonding Warehouse Company at Whitby, was destroyed
by fire, with nearly the whole of the contents early yesterday morning. The damage is estimated
at 5,000.

10 May 1883   
Missing Vessels
The Sylvan, Captain Whitehead, of Whitby, official No. 17,460, which sailed from the Tyne to
Almeria, with coals, on Jan 23 last; the James Gray, steamer, Captain McLeod, of Whitby, official
No.72,140, which sailed from Cardiff for St.Vincent, Cape Verd, with coals; and the Fervent, 
steamer, Captain Milburn, of Sunderland, official No. 68,943, which sailed from the Tyne for
London, with coals, March 5 last, were yesterday posted as missing.

4 July 1883
The Rev. Thomas Irvin, 46 years vicar of the parish of Ormesby, in Cleveland, recently died
at the advanced age of 88. Born at Scarborough, on 17th of May 1795, the son of the Rev.
Thomas Irvin, vicar of Hackness and Harwood Dale, Thomas Irvin was beginning to study for
the medical profession when Archbishop Harcourt suggested that he should read for holy orders.
In 1818 he was ordained deacon, and became curate of Whitby; in 1819 he was ordained priest;
and in 1820 he became curate of Scarborough. Mr.Irvin also assisted his father at Hackness
and Harwood Dale. In 1823 he went to Barmston-in-Holderness as curate in charge, and was also
curate of Ulrome. On June 23 of that year he married Phoebe Maria, daughter of Mr.Charles
Haswell, R.N. In 1829 he became vicar of Ulrome, and in the same year he was appointed 
Headmaster of Thornton Grammar School, near Pickering, to which place he removed from Barmston.
In 1836 Archbishop Harcourt (who had presented Mr.Irvin to Ulrome) presented him to Nafferton,
and in 1837 appointed him vicar of Ormesby and perpetual curate of Eston with Normanby. This
living he held until his decease.

2 August 1883
Ecclesiastical Appointments
Rev. John Horsfall Richardson, M.A., curate of Whitby, [to be] vicar of Hedon - patron, the
Archbishop of York

30 August 1883
Yesterday the Whitby Agricultural association held its jubilee as celebrating the 50th 
exhibition which it has held since its formation. The exhibition was a great success, the 
number of entries being larger than on any former occasion........

27 October 1883
The Fishing Boats Act and the Fishermen of the East Coast
we have received the following from the Liberty and Property Defence League: "Petitions to the
Queen praying for the sispension of the Fishing Boat Act passed a few days before the close of
the last session, and which comes into operation on the 1st of January next, are being largely
signed by fishermen and others engaged in the deep-sea trawlingand drift-net fisheries of the
east coast at Staithes, Whitby, Scarborough, Filey, Flamborough, Bridlington, Grimsby, Yarmouth
and Lowestoft. The petitioners say that they 'were for the most part left in ignorance of the 
nature of the proposed legislation, and have obly recently and since the passing of the Act
been made aware of its contents.' They submit 'that the system of examinations and certificates
of skippers and first hands, instituted by this Act, is calculated to injure and harass them, 
and to throw the trade into the hands of others who are not similarly burdened; that it has not
been customary to keep written records of casualties, injury or punishments on fishing-boats;
and that it will henceforward be neccessary in very many cases to take a clerk on board, or to
fail to comply with section 43 of the Act.' They further complained of 'the needless interference
with seamen's lodgingsby compelling them to take out licences, and thereby subjecting them to 
irritating police surveillance; and that the Act in other respects places them 'under the 
direction and at the mercy of Board of Trade officials.' The petitioners conclude by respectfully
reminding Her Majesty 'that they have for many centuries enjoyed that liberty and freedom from
Government interference which, by fostering habits of self-help and self-control, have made
England the grestest and freest nation in the world.' Crowded meeting of fishermen have been 
held during the last three weeks at Scarborough, Filey, Grimsby, Yarmouth, and Lowestoft, at 
which the commissioners of the Liberty and Property Defence League have explained the Act and
its workings, and at which resolutions condemning the Act and demanding its repeal have been 
carried by overwhelming majorities.......

7 November 1883
The Hunting Season
Foxhounds - English
Eskdale - Mr.G.Wellburn - Monday and Thursday; Grosmont, Egton, and Whitby

24 November 1883
Lloyd's Agent at Penang, under date Nov.22, telegraphs - "The British steamer Nisero is ashore 
in long. 95 E, lat. 5 N, and reports indicate that she cannot be saved. Fate of the crew 
unknown. Shall not act without instructions, as the case is very complicated." Another telegram
despatched two hours later, states as follows - "the Nisero, steamer, Woodhouse master, is 
ashore on the west coast of Acheen. Captain and crew in the hands of Rajah Ainot." The above
steamer is owned by Messrs. D.G.Pinkney and Sons, Sunderland. She is a vessel of 1,818 gross 
tons, was built at Whitby in 1878, and was classed 100 A1 at Lloyd's, and was bound from
Sourabaya for Europe. She left the former place on October 27. The complications in this case
probably arise from the captain and crew being prisoners in the hands of the Rajah. Acheen is
an independant State, forming the north-western portion of the island of Sumatra. The steamer
is largely insured in this country.

5 February 1884
A telegram received through Reuter's Agency from Malta says that the steamer Galveston entered
this port yesterday, bringing with her the crew of the steamer Crescent, of Whitby, which was
sunk by a collision with a French steamer in the Doro Channel, Archipelago, on the night of
January 31.

19 February 1884
The Sovereign, brig, of Whitby, with coal, sank in Yarmouth roads on Sunday, her topsailyard
only being visible. The crew were previously rescued by the Gorleston lifeboat.

27 February 1884
Mr.Charles Bagnall, of Sneaton Castle, Yorkshire, formerly M.P. for Whitby, died on Monday last
at Brighton, at the age of 56. The deceased gentleman was the second son of Mr.Thomas Bagnall,
of Newberries, Hertfordshire, by his marriage with Mary, only child of the late Mr.John Nock,
of West Bromwich, Staffordshire, and was born in the year 1827. He was a magistrate for 
Staffordshire and for the North Riding of Yorkshire, formerly held a lieutenant's commission
in the Staffordshire Yeomanry Cavalry and sat in the House of Commons as member for Whitby,
in the Conservative interest, from 1865 till 1868, when he retired. Mr.Bagnall married, in
1860, Harriet Curtis, second daughter of the late Mr. John Chapman, of Whitby, by whom he has
left a family.

3 March 1884
Whitby, March 1
During the past week the fisheries have been unusually prolific , and advanced prices were
realized at the wholesale markets. The jet ornament trade continues in a dormant state, and
the iron shipbuilding trade is anything but brisk.

9 June 1884
An Explosion Averted
At Whitby on Saturday, Richrd Gibson Gale, a retired master mariner, was remanded, on bail, 
on a charge of having set fire to a warehouse belonging to Mr.M.Snowdon, timber merchant.
After the fire was extinguished there were found in the warehouse papers saturated with
paraffin and oil, and a tin case, in which holes had been drilled, containing a quantity
of gunpowder.

24 July 1884
The Collision off Cape Finisterre
Our Madrid correspondent, telegraphing last night says "We are still without full or trust-
worthy information as to the collision between the outward bound Cuban mail steamer Gijon
and the English steamer Laxham, from Shanghai. The collision occurred in a thick fog off
Finisterre on the night of the 21st. The Laxham sank first, the Gijon following her shortly
afterwards. The fog, it is alledged, was so thick that neither vessel was seen by the other. 
The Santo Domingo, steamer, picked up the Gijon's lifeboat, with 56 people, including 11
English belonging to the Laxham. Two more boats are known to have been afloat with shipwrecked
crews and passengers, but up to tonight nothing has been heard of them. The passengers and 
crew of the Gijon are calculated to have been more than 200 in number. The Press of the 
capital complains of the paucity of official information in reference to the catastrophe.
Some of the crew of the Laxham belong to Whitby, including the chief officer, Mr.Sample,
but none of their names have been mentioned in the telegram forwarded by LLoyd's agent. It 
is stated that the captain of the Laxham, Captain Lothian, had some members of his family
on board, and that Captain Newton, master of the Aislaby, another Whitby steamer, was a 
passenger on board the Laxham. The crew would number about 30, andof these only 11 are 
reported to have been landed. The managing owner has telegraphed for particulars, but up
to last evening had received no reply. A Reuter's telegram from Madrid, dated July 23, says
"An official despatch states that before the steamers Laxham and Gijon foundered they launched
their boats, in which 160 persons, passengers and crews, embarked. Of these, 56 were picked up
by the steamer Santo Domingo, but nothing has yet been heard of two boats containing upwards
of 90 people . Several boats have been sent out to search for them"

25 July 1884
The Collision off Cape Finisterre
A telegram through Reuter's Agency from Madrid, dated July 24, says "Official telegrams
received here from Corunna, dated yesterday evening, state that there is still no news of 
the fate of the remainder of the crew and passengers of the steamers Gijon and Laxham. It is
conjectured that the crew of the Laxham may have taken refuge on board the Gijon, which
foundered shortly after the Laxham. Of the 56 persons rescued by the Santo Domingo and 
landed by that vessel at Corunna 23 were passengers and 22 crew belonging to the Gijon. It
has now been ascertained that the Gijon had on board 113 passengers, with a crew of 77. The
Gijon struck the Laxham amidships. The search for survivors continues."
Our Madrid correspondent , telegraphing under date July 24 says "The news of the disastrous
collision off Finisterre is still very incomplete. The Gijon carried about 190 passengers
and crew, and 43 are known to be saved. Of two lifeboats supposed to be afloat nothing is
known. The evening papers publish the names of nine persons saved from the English steamer
Laxham by the Santo Domingo."
A Whitby telegram states that there is much anxiety there respecting the officers and crew 
of the Laxham. The owners telegraphed the British Consul at Corunna on Wednesday, but up to
a late hour last night had received no reply. The following are the names of the officers
and crew:- Lothian, captain; Sample, chief officer; Ogden, second officer; Davies, boatswain;
Bean, steward; Evans, Davies, Samuelson, Davies, and Cowen, able seamen; Milton, first engineer;
Bare, second engineer; Frazer, third engineeer; Burnett, donkeyman; Thursby, Lawrence, and
Howson, firemen; Josephs, engineer's steward, and Esk, passenger. The wife and family of the
captain were also on board as well as Captain Newton of the steamer Aislaby."

29 July 1884
The Collision off Cape Finisterre
The Louise H (s), just arrived at Havre from the River Plate, reports that on July 23rd, 
between 4 and 5 a.m., Cape Finisterre being about S.S.E. 2 and a half miles, she fell in with
a quantity of small pieces of wreckage, evidently from a steamer, also about 30 lifebuoys and
several lifebelts, some of which were attached to planks and pieces of wood. At 5 a.m. the 
steamer put out her jollyboat to ascertain the name of the wrecked vessel, but without success.
Some lifebuoys, an engine room skylight, and a cabin panel with lamp fixed to it were picked 
up and a corpse was seen floating. This wreckage was no doubt of the steamers Gijon and Laxham,
lost off Finsterre by collision. 
Mr.W.Sample, the chief officer of the steamship Laxham, arrived in Whitby last evening. He 
states that he was below at the time of the collision, and that when he rushed on deck he found
Captain Lothian in charge. He saw Captain and Mrs. Lothian with her baby aged 12 months get on 
board the Gijon by means of ropes. He did not see Captain Newton, of Aislaby, neither did he 
see Mr.Esk, a young gentleman of Flaxton, near York, who was on the voyage for the benefit of
his health, but he was told that the latter had got on board the Gijon. He did not see the Gijon
go down, but was taken out of the Laxham by one of the Gijon's boats along with the chief and
second engineer. They were in the boat ten hours before being picked up by the Ville de Valence,
and during that time they had no water nor nourishment of any kind. He saw two other boats 
full of people, but is unable to give any opinion as to the fate of Captain and Mrs. Lothian
and child, or of Captain Newton or Mr.Esk. 

1 August 1884
The Collision off Cape Finisterre
Information reached Whitby yesterday that Captain Thomas Newton was one of the passengers on
board the Laxham at the time of her collision with the Gijon. It appears that he got into the 
second boat with 15 Spaniards, and after rowing for about 40 hours they were picked up by the
schooner Nelson Haverton. The captain of the Gijon shot himself with a revolver after the
collision. Captain Newton said that the Spaniards behaved very badly, especially those with
whom he escaped. There are yet no tidings of Captain Lothian, the commander of the Laxham.

4 August 1884
The Cholera
A correspondent, writing from Cardiff last night, says "The steamer Rishanglys, of
Whitby, from Marseilles arrived in Penarth Roads last evening , and came to anchor 
outside Flat Holme. On coming to anchor she hoisted the yellow flag, and a pilot 
who spoke to her in passing reports three cases of cholera on board; one man died 
on the previous day. she left Marseilles on the 20th ult., put back, with cholera
on board, and shipped a fresh crew. The tide being out, there can be no communi-
cation with the vessel until Monday morning".

5 August 1884
The Cholera
The screw steamer Rishanglys, of Whitby, Captain Featherstone, which was announced
in The Times of yesterday to have arrived in the Penarth Roads from Marseilles, was
boarded in the Roads yesterday morning. There were three cases of cholera on board
at sea. One man died and two others were put ashore at Marseilles. The vessel, which
left Marseilles on the 25th ult., is placed under inspection for two days by the
sanitary authorities, and regret is expressed in some quarters that this period 
could not be extended. Nevertheless, there is little fear of the plague being 
communicated to Cardiff. The medical officers and their assistants are very zealous
in the use of disinfectants, and the vessel was disinfected yesterday afternoon.

5 August 1884
The Collision off Cape Finisterre
Captain William Newton, of the screw steamer Aislaby, who was saved after the loss 
of the steamship Laxham and landed at Cardiff, arrived at Whitby yesterday morning,
and made the following statement - "I was master of the steamship Aislaby, of Whitby,
which foundered off Cape Sagres on July 11. I was rescued by the Trevoise, and 
landed at Gibraltar on the 12th. There I embarked on board the Laxham, also of Whitby,
and we left there homeward bound on the 17th. The collision between the Laxham and
the Spanish mail steamer Gijon occurred on the 21st at 7.30 pm. I was on the bridge
at the time, with Captain Lothian, the commander of the Laxham. We were in a dense 
fog, with a light breeze from the north-east. and a little sea on. The first warning
we had of the approach of the other steamer was that we heard her whistle sounded.
We were blowing our whistle continually. We were going about north-east half north
when we were struck amidships by the Spanish vessel Gijon on our starboard. That 
was very soon after we heard the whistle. We just saw her loomimg in the fog before
she struck us. It was an awful crash. The Laxham's side was crushed in and she was
completely disabled, and, as we felt that she was sinking, as many of us as could 
jumped on board the Gijon. The sea rushed into the Laxham most alarmingly, two
starboard boats were smashed by the collision and were of no use, the steamer's
funnel was knocked over and smashed the port boat, thus leaving no boats available
for saving the crew of the Laxham. All but three or four of the Laxham's crew got 
on board the Gijon. Her engines were backed full-speed astern, and we saw that she
was going down. A considerable number of female passengers were on deck, and their
shrieks and distress were heartrending. The captain of the Gijon was so terror-
struck by the calamity and the dreadful charcter of the scene that he shot himself
with a revolver in the excitement and anxiety of the moment. He was a fine-looking 
young Spaniard, and this was his first voyage. The people on board the Gijon got
their boats out with the assistance of the Laxham's crew, the crew of the Gijon 
numbering about 80. There were about 160 passengers, besides stowaways. The Gijon
had ten boats, which were all available, but were not all used. It was too thick 
for me to see the Laxham when she went down. I got out of the Gijon into a boat
on the starboard side. There was awful confusion and excitement and a great struggle
to get into the boats. It was every man for himself. I do not believe that any of 
the women were saved. I saw a lot of poor women floating about in the water alongside.
Just before I left the Gijon I met Captain Lothian, of the Laxham. amidships. He
seemed to have lost his wife in the confusion and asked me if I had seen her. and 
I said "No". Both his wife and child had been brought on board the Gijon. In the 
boat into which I got there were 15 Spaniards and myself. I saw the Gijon go down.
Weshot astern after getting into our boat, and about two minutes later the steamer
went down. A great number of people were then on board, most of them females. While
she was going down I saw a man standing on the propellor with a lifebuoy in his 
hand. A lot of women were alongside in the water, swimming and struggling and making 
a last desperate effort for life. The scene was truly heartbreaking. I think a boat
in which they had tried to save themselves must have capsized. It was impossible 
then to do anything to save them, as all surviving boats were much overcrowded. While
I was on board the steamer Gijon I saw no efforts made by the Spanish officers and
crew to save the women. There seemed to be a lack of discipline; all was confusion 
and consternation. After we left the steamer we found that we had no compass in the
boat, no refreshments, and no water. We were 30 hours in the boat, and pulled before
the sea to the south. The fog just lifted as we were picked up by the schooner Nelson
Hewitson, of Newport, Captain Llewellyn, from Carril for Cardiff. We received the
kindest attention and treatment from all on board. All the Spanish sailors had been
refreshed and restored, we stood in towards the land, put them into their own boat in
Muros Bay, where they landed. I preferred to remain on board the ship. I was landed
at Cardiff on Saturday, and arrived home this morning.

30 September 1884
Mr.Turner, of Whitby, received a telegram yesterday from Sunderland informing him of
the safe arrival a that port of the fishing boat Juvantes, which was supposed to have
foundered off Whitby in the gale on Saturday morning. With regard to the Flying Spray
the second missing boat, all hope has been abandoned. Captain Maivey of the brigantine
Rifleman, which has arrived in the Tyne, reports that he observed a boat founder on
Saturday morning about five miles east of Whitby. The Flying Spray carried five hands.

4 November 1884
Rewards for Services at Sea
The Board of Trade have awarded a binocular glass to Captain Antonio Vines, of the 
Spanish steamship St.Domingo, of Corunna; and to Captain Prosper le Belle, of the 
French steamship Ville de Vallence, of Havre, in recognition of their services to
the shipwrecked crew of the steamship Laxham, of Whitby, whom they received on board
their vessels when the Laxham was sunk in collision with the Spanish steamship Gijon
off Cape Finisterre, on the 21st of July last.

24 November 1884
Lloyd's agent at Yarmouth telegraphs that the Town of Liverpool, of Whitby, W.Hill 
master and owner, from Stockholm with pit props for West Hartlepool, has gone ashore
at Waxham, near Palling, Norfolk; vessel a total wreck. The crew, eight in number,
were saved by the Palling life apparatus; cargo may be salved.

22 December 1884
Whitby, Dec.20
Shipbuilding operations are now almost entirely at a standstill. The masters have
offered a reduction of 7 and a half per cent in the wages of ironworkers but the
men decline to accept it, and we are threatened with stagnation in this important
industry. The men about ten months ago accepted a reduction of 17 and a half per
cent and they seem determined to stand out against any further reduction. The 
fishing industry has been much interfered with by the bad weather.

3 February 1885
Distress at Whitby
"Susan K.Phillips," Greenyard, Ripon, referring to distress in Whitby, Writes 
"The virtual closing of the ship-yards, the collapse of the jet trade, and the usual
tempestuous state of the North Sea, which makes fishing alike perilous and precarious,
together prodice an almost unexampled state of privation and misery among the poor. I
am going to Whitby to try, with money generously trusted to me forthe purpose, to 
give children free dinners and help to the worst cases. Contributions, however small,
will be most gratefully received and acknowledged, whether addressed to me here, or
to my account at the Old Bank, Whitby."

4 March 1885
Queen's Bench Division
Barrick v Murray
This was an action for breach of promise of marriage. The plaintiff was the daughter of 
a gentleman formerly residing in Whitby, afterwards at Stamford-hill, and at present at
Maidstone. The defendant was said to be a gentleman of independent means residing at
Whitby. The parties were introduced by a friend of the plaintiff's family in 1882, and
the defendant at once began to pay the plaintiff attentions, and presently accompanied
her and her friends on an excursion to France, in the course of which they became
engaged. The defendant subsequently made the acquaitance of the plaintiff's brother, 
with whom he had a disagreement, terminating in a County Court action, in which he
(defendant) was defeated. After this his relations with the plaintiff became cooler,
and on her remonstrating with him he wrote denying that his attitude towards her had
ever been anything more than that of a friend. 
Mr.Murphy, Q.C., (who with Mr.Reginald Brown appeared for the plaintiff), having opened
these facts, called the plaintiff, who had not proceeded far with her evidence when her
counsel asked his Lordship's permission to confer with her privately in consequence of
negotiations which were passing between the representatives of the parties. After a short
interval, it was announced that a verdict for the plaintiff for 200 would be taken by 
consent; and judgement was given for the plaintiff accordingly. 
Mr.Lockwood, Q.C., and Mr.Thompson were counsel for the defendant.

2 April 1885
Election Intelligence
Yorkshire (Whitby Division) - Mr.Arthur Pease, M.P., has announced that he readily accepts
the invitation given him by the Liberal delegates of the Whitby Parliamentary Division to
contest the forthcoming election. The Conservatives have adopted Mr.E.Denison as their

24 April 1885
Election Intelligence
Yorkshire - Last evening, at a largely-attended meeting of the Conservatives of Whitby, 
Mr.Ernest Denison, of Leeds, was unanimously accepted as the Conservative candidate for
the Whitby Parliamentary division of the North Riding of Yorkshire.

9 May 1885
The Bankruptcy Act, 1883
Receiving Orders and Date of Public Examination
Trattles, Matthew, Whitby, jet ornament manufacturer, and baby-linen merchant - May 15,
Stockton-on-Tees and Middlesbrough.

23 May 1885
The Bankruptcy Act, 1883
Receiving Orders and Date of Public Examination
Robinson, George, Whitby, shoemaker - June 3, Stockton-on-Tees and Middlesbrough

11 June 1885
Wreck Commissioner's Court
(before Mr.H.C.Rothery, the Wreck Commissioner, with Assessors)
Captain Parfitt, Captain Pattison, and Mr.Lang, were the assessors
This was an enquiry into the stranding and total loss of the steamship Nisero, which,
it will be remembered, excited a great deal of public attention last year owing to the
crew having been taken prisoner by the Rajah of Paugha, and only released after 10 months'
captivity, during which period of detention seven of them perished. The Nisero was built
of iron at Whitby in 1878, and registered at the port of Sunderland. Her engines were of
150 horse-power combined, and she was the property of Messrs. David G. and Thomas Pinkney,
Mr.Thomas Pinkney being the manager, of Sunderland. Her gross tonnage was 1,918 tons. The
vessel 	left Sourabaya on the 27th of October, 1883, with a crew of 28 hands, all told,
and about 1,840 tons of sugar, bound for Port said for orders. It appeared from the
evidence that before the vessel started she took in 54 tons of Australian coal, making a
total of 220 tons. On the 7th of November, when the vessel was about 660 miles from Point
de Galle, where it was intended to coal, the chief engineer reported to the master that he
could only guarantee two days more coal; thereupon it was decided to steer for Pulo Brass,
the coal depot near Acheen, a distance of about 410 miles. At 4pm on the 8th the chief 
officer took charge, the course being north by east half east. At 8pm the foretopsail and
forestaysail were set. At about 8.15 pm. the weather being dark, with a heavy sea, the 
master and chief officer went into the chart-room to ascertain the position of the vessel,
and found that they were about 70 miles distant from Acheen Head. On coming out they sudd-
enly observed trees three to four points on the starboard bow. Thereupon the helm was
ordered hard a-starboard, and the engines to be reversed full-speed astern. The vessel, 
however, took the ground. The crew escaped in the boats, and on arriving on the shore were
at once surrounded by armed natives and taken prisoners. In the morning they were conducted
to the Rajah of Paugha, a village about 10 miles north of the river Tenom. Here they remained
for 10 months, strictly guarded, except the captain and the second engineer, who were
released after 31 days' captivity. During the 10 months seven of the crew died.
William Smith Woodhouse said he was the master of the Nisero, and held a certficate of
competency.(he described the story much as above).
James Wilson said he was chief engineer of the Nisero. (he gave similar evidence and said
if there was any blame it was on him entirley)
The inquiry was adjourned until tomorrow.

24 June 1885
Collision in the Thames
A collision, which resulted in the sinking of a vessel, occurred yesterday off the entrance
to the Royal Albert Docks, Woolwich. The Government transport Norfolk was proceeding up the
river Thames on her return voyage from Suakin with a cargo of railway plant when she came
into collision with the brigatine Pilgrim, of Whitby, Captain Harrison. The Pilgrim was lying
across the river on the starboard tack, when she was struck on the port quarter. The effect of
the collision was to make a great gap in her side, and she sank in a few minutes. The crew
escaped. The transport proceeded to the West India Docks, apparently not much injured. The
Pilgrim is lying on her starboard side at the bottom of the river with all her sails set. 
She is visible at low water, and has a Thames Conservancy boat with a red flag hoisted moored
near to indicate her position at high water.

17 August 1885
The steamer Black Watch, of Cardiff, passed the Lizard at 4.10pm yesterday, having in tow the
steamer Larpool, of Whitby, in a disabled condition, her machinery having broken down. The 
steamers were making for Falmouth. The Larpool is a steamer of 1,288 tons gross, and is owned
by Mr,John Barry of Whitby.    

21 September 1885
On Saturday morning, off Robin Hood's Bay, the fishing coble Annie and Matthew, while returning
to Whitby after the night's fishing, was overtaken by a sudden squall and upset. There were three
men on board at the time of the accident, two of whom - James Clarke and Matthew Dryden - were
drowned. the other man, named Dryden, who has a wooden leg, saved himself by swimming.

26 September 1885
The Bankruptcy Act, 1883
Receiving Orders and Date of Public Examination
Cussons, George Mennell (trading as George Cussons), Whitby, jeweller and watchmaker - Sept.30,
Stockton-on-Tees and Middlesbrough

30 October 1885
Exhibition of Turnery
On Wednesday the 17th annual exhibition of specimens of hand-turning, under the auspices of the
Turner's Company, was opened in the saloon of the Mansion-house by permission of the Lord Mayor.
It is divided into four sections - viz, wood, ivory, metal, and stone, including jet and spar.
The company, besides offering the freedom of the guild, medals, and certificates, voted a sum 
of money towards a prize fund, which was augmented by gifts from the Baroness and Mr.Burdett-
Coutts, Mr.Bake (the Master of the Company), Sir C.Hutton Gregory, and others......
In the exhibits of jet the articles were neither of the number nor of the description the 
judges had hoped for; but the whole of those sent possessed merit.... For jet, the first to 
Thomas Tose, and the second to W.J.Baker, both of Whitby, where all the exhibitors lived.

2 December 1885
The Stainsacre, steamer, of Whitby, in leaving Newcastle on Monday night laden with coals, was 
run into by the Harvest, steamer, of Hartlepool, entering the harbour, and foundered outside
the piers. Crew saved. The Stainsacre, an iron screw steamer of 705 tons, was built at Whitby
in 1876, and is owned by Messrs. Thomas Turnbull and Co., Whitby.

9 December 1885
Mr.Thomas Chapman, F.R.S., of Whitby, Yorkshire, died yesterday, at an advanced age, at his
town residence in Bryanston-square. The deceased gentleman was the eldest son of the late Mr.
Edward Chapman, of Whitby, by his marriage with Martha, daughter and co-heiress of the late
Mr.Thomas Holt, of that place, and was born in 1798. He was educated at Haileybury College, 
and was a magistrate and deputy lieutenant for Middlesex, a Fellow of the Royal Society, and 
a Fellow of the Societu of Antiquaries. Mr.Chapman married, in 1825 Maria Louisa, daughter of
Mr.John Hanson, of Great Bromley-hall, Essex, but was left a widower in 1877.

9 December 1885
Railway Accident
The passenger train from Normanton, due at Leeds at 2.15a.m., on the Midland Railway, met with
an accident yesterday. It ran with great force into the buffers at the station. The buffers 
were displaced, and much damage was done to the stone and earthwork. The permanent way was
injured, and the engine was damaged. The passengers sustained a severe shock, and among them,
Mrs.Turner, of Arolsen House, West Cliff, Whitby, sustained internal injuries, and a severe
blow to the head. Dr.Wheelhouse was immediately summoned to the station and attended to Mrs.
Turner and the other injured passengers. The accident is set down to the slippery state of the

16 January 1886
Notices of Dividends (Bankruptcy)
Iredale, James, Whitby, jet ornament manufacturer and dealer in fancy goods
Robinson, George, Whitby, shoemaker

27 February 1886
The Bankruptcy Act, 1883
Receiving Orders and Date of Public Examination
Friend, Isaac, Newcastle-on-Tyne and Whitby, no occupation - March 9, Newcastle-on-Tyne

1 March 1886
Whitby, Feb.27
The shipbuilding trade here is very flat, the only steamer which was on the stocks having
been launched. The builders have not any more in hand. The fisheries have been fairly
prolific during the week, despite the bad weather.

4 March 1886
Lloyd's agent at Whitby telegraphs that the Sarah, of Whitby, from Portsmouth for Sunderland
in ballast, stranded at 5.30pm on Tuesday at Sandsend, and will probably become a wreck. Crew

10 May 1886
Whitby, May 7
All work in the iron shipbuilding trade is suspended, the builders having no further orders
to hand. The jet ornament industry is depressed and large numbers of men are out of work. 
The fisheries have been prolific during the past week.

19 June 1886 
Notices of Dividends (Bankruptcy)
Ward, George, Whitby, aerated water manufacturer

30 June 1886
The Bankruptcy Act, 1883
Receiving Orders and Date of Public Examination
Burrows, John, Whitby, grocer and jet manufacturer

11 August 1886
The Bankruptcy Act, 1883
Receiving Orders and Date of Public Examination
Turner, John Wilkinson, Whitby, painter and paperhanger

29 October 1886
Yesterday at 4.20pm the steamship Minerva, owner Mr.Guy, West Hartlepool, bound for Sunderland
with ballast, and the steamship Borderer, from Boston for London, came into collision off the
Ovens Buoy in Gravesend Reach. Captain R.C.Appleton, of the Minerva, reports that his vessel 
was struck by the stem of the Borderer abaft the bridge on the starboard side. He was in charge
at the time. The vessel sank in a few minutes. The tug Red Rose rendered assistance and got on
board the captain and 16 of the crew, who were brought to Gravesnd. One of them, John Craigger,
of Darlington, engineer's steward, died on the way, and the body was taken to Gravesend Mortuary.
Six men are missing, supposed to be drowned - Charles A.Steel, of Sunderland, third engineer; 
Thomas Paige and William Nelson, of Whitby, firemen; Johnson Mitchell, of West Hartlepool, 
carpenter; David Wills and James Phillips, of Dundee, able-bodied seamen. The bow of the Borderer
was severely injured, and she anchored in Gravesend Reach.

1 December 1886
The Bankruptcy Act, 1883
Receiving Orders and Date of Public Examination
Smallwood, William, Whitby, formerly blacksmith and general dealer, now fishing boat owner

9 December 1886
Lloyd's agent at Bridlington Quay telegraphs that the Orb, brig, of Whitby, with coals, has
gone ashore on the north beach, and will probably become a total wreck. The crew were saved
by the National lifeboat.

4 January 1887
thee has just died in the Whitby workhouse Mr.Thomas Dove, a marine artist of great ability,
well known in the North of England. He began life as a house painter, but soon became associated
with George Chambers, the celebrated marine artist. Mr.Dove then devoted himself to art work,
and his best pictures were produced at Liverpool or in the vicinity. His finest work was 
considered to be the scene on the Mersey on the occasion of a visit of the Duke of Edinburgh,
and the painting was by permission dedicated to His Royal Highness. Of recent years Mr.Dove 
fell into indigent circumstances, and was compelled to take refuge in the Whitby workhouse.

6 January 1888
Telegraphic information was receivedin Whitby yesterday of the loss of the screw steamer Maud.
The vessel appears to have left Sulina with a cargo of grain and to have foundered 130 miles
south of that port. The cptain and 11 of the crew were drowned. Some five or six ofthe crew 
were picked up at sea by a Greek barque, after suffering three days' exposure in their boat. 
They were landed at Pera and placed in hospital. The Maud was built in 1872 and belonged to 
the firm of Messrs.T.Marwood and Son, Whitby. She was insured for 7,500 in the local clubs.

23 January 1888
Several casualties are reported from the Bristol Channel. About 7 o'clock on Friday night the
steamer Elsie, owned by Gray, Taylor, and Co., Whitby and Cardiff, ran ashore on Lundy Island.
The crew were all rescued, but the vessel bacame a total wreck. 

25 January 1888
A telegram from Lundy Island Signal reports that the Elsie, steamer, of Whitby, which went 
ashore on the east side of Lundy Island, has been got off, and sailed for Cardiff.

9 February 1888
The Board of Trade have awarded a gold watch to Captain Aristide Pouliese, master of the Greek
barque Theodora, of Ithica, in recognition of his humanity and kindness to the shipwrecked 
crew of the steamer Maud, of Whitby, whom he picked up in the Black sea, after their abandon-
ment of their vessel, on the 29th of December 1887. They have also awarded silver shipwreck 
medals to four seamen of the Greek vessel, who assisted in the rescue of the shipwrecked men.

8 May 1888
Report of the Board of Trade Inquiry into the loss of the Maud
(the report is detailed about the circumstances of the loss, but does not give details of names
of captainor crew so I have not transcribed it. Some blame was placed on the master and on 
Marwood as owner, because the ship was loaded too heavily - The Maud was built 1872, 1,294 gross
tons, cost 21,900 in 1872, insured for 7,500, cargo valued 1,100 not insured)

26 September 1888
The Perseverence, herring coble, of Whitby, had mast carried away off Robin Hood's Bay, and
drove ashore about three miles north. The vessel isa total wreck. The crew were saved.

15 October 1888
A telegram from Whitby states that the Emu, steam tug, drove ashore north of Whitby Pier, and
will probably be a wreck. The crew were taken off by the rocket apparatus.

9 November 1888
With respect to the barque Melanesia, of Liverpool, which left the Tyne in April for Valparaiso,
and not having been heard of since May is believed to be lost, it is reported that the crew,
numbering 21, signed articles at South Shields. They included Captain T.W.Woodhouse, Whitby;
chief mate, Adolphus Godel, Liverpool; second mate, Robert Roberts; carpenter, John James, 
North Shields; sailmaker, John Derker, Liverpool; steward, George Guthrie, North Shields; 
cook, Edward McLean, South Shields; apprentices, Edward Donald and W.Munden, Liverpool; Arnold
Watson, Glasgow; and Valentine Baker, South Shields. Captain Woodhouse had his wife and child
on board. The Melanesia belonged to Mr. James Godfrey, Liverpool.

14 November 1888
Yesterday the brig Granite, Captain Leng, of West Hartlepool, while endeavouring to enter the
Tees, grounded upon Seaton North Gare. The Seaton Lifeboat, and subsequently the Middlesbrough
Lifeboat, went to the recsue. The position was so perilous that, although repeated and desperate 
attempts were made to get alongside, the vessel went to pieces before this could be done, drowning
her crew of eight in sight of a large crowd of spectators, one of whom, Miss Strover, was dread-
fully excited and dropped dead on the sands. Most of the crew belonged to Hartlepool and Whitby.
Captain Leng leaves a widow and three children.

28 November 1888
Yeasterday, at the little fishing village of Staithes, ten miles north of Whitby, several boats
which had been line-fishing made for the shore to avoid the storm. As it would have been useless
to attempt to land, the lifeboat was launched, and the crews of the frail craft were brought to 
safety. This was between 4 and 5 o'clock in the afternoon. The lifeboat put off again to take
up the crew of another fishing coble. When the lifeboat reached the coble, whose skipper's name
is Thomas Cole, the crew were engaged in taking in the lines. Two of the fishermen were got into
the lifeboat, and the last man was just engaged in leaving the coble when a tremendous sea struck
the lifeboat and immediately capsized her. The accident was not witnessed by the crowds of fisher-
men and their wives who lined the shores or stood on the peaks overlooking the sea, as darkness 
had then set in. The cries of the lifeboat men were not heard because of the deafening roar of 
the waves. Presently the coxswain of the lifeboat, a fisherman named Charles Norn, made his
appearance through the white foam on the breakers, and was soon afterwards followed by another man.
Both were much exhausted by the buffeting they had received in their desperate struggle to reach
the land. They stated that when the lifeboat upset she almost immediately righted, but as to the
fate of the remainder of the crew of the lifeboat, consisting of ten or 11 men, or of the two 
fishermen rescued from the coble they can give no definite account. When they themselves were 
thrown into the sea the waves carried them far away from the scene of the accident, and what with
the roar of the sea and the darkness of the evening they neither heard nor saw anything. They
fear, however, that most, if not all, of their comrades perished. Nothing more has been seen 
either of the lifeboat or of any of the missing crew.

29 November 1888
The news of the safe arrival of 12 crew of the Staithes lifeboat was received yesterday evening
at Staithes and Whitby. It appears that the men who were thrown out of the lifeboat when she was
struck by the heavy seas were rescued by those who yet remained in her. The lifeboat herself was
blown out to sea, and at about midnight was picked up by a steamer going north, and towed to
Middlesbrough. Two lifeboat-men, one of them the coxswain, who were washed ashore were a good 
deal bruised by being dashed among the rocks, and are now under medical treatment. the dead body
of John Crooks, one of the lifeboat-men, was found yesterday morning laid on the rocks a little
to the south of Staithes and a few hundred yards from the scene of the accident. Crooks was a 
married man. The 12 lifeboat-men who were picked up at sea and landed at Middlesbrough arrived
at Staithes by the noon train and were welcomed by their friends and comrades. 

30 December 1889
The coroner for the Whitby district, Mr.George Buchannan, held an inquest at the
end of last week on the body of James Costello, 26, who was found dead on the
highway at Starnsace (sic Stainsacre ?), a village near Whitby. The evidence showed
that on Christmas Eve the deceased was with a party of carol singers. They called
at the house of Captain Mills, where they were freely entertained to whicky, rum,
gin. and wines. A witness said that when they left the house they were in a state 
of complete intoxication. They fell down on the road drunk, and for as time crept
on their hands and knees. The deceased was missing, but was eventually found with 
his jacket and waistcoat off, helplessly drunk. Two of the party fell asleep in a 
ditch and the other on the bare road. Costello was found dead. An examination of 
his body indicated that he had fallen several times. Costello died on the anniver-
sary of his birthday. Captain Mills, who was called, denied that he had invited 
the young men to his house and said they went there of their own accord. When he
left he wished them "Good night". The coroner, in summing up, said that he had 
never heard of a more horrible case. The jury found that Costello had met with his
death from cold and exposure while in a state of intoxication, and that Captain
Mills was gravely to blame for giving intoxicants to the deceased and his companions.

18 June 1889
William Robert Clarke, B.A., Christ's College, Cambridge, to Whitby
Noel Storrs Fox, B.A., Pembroke College, Cambridge, to Whitby

10 August 1889
Boanson, John, Whitby, painter

22 October 1889
During a heavy gale on Saturday six men, forming the crew of the vessel Kate, of Whitby,
were rescued by the steamer Wynard Park, and were landed at Sunderland yesterday. The 
Kate was in a sinking condition, and but for the timely aid of the Wynard Park her crew
must have perished.

22 February 1890
The distrous collision which occurred off Lundy Island on Wednesday morning proves 
to be more serious than was first reported, the details received at Cardiff yesterday
showing that both vessels sank and that two boats, containing 12 men, are still 
missing. The collision occurred between the iron screw steamer Highgate, 927 tons 
register, built in 1882 by Messrs. Turnbull, Scott, and Co., of Whitby, and the 
sailing vessel Sovereign, 1,193 tons register, of Halifax, Nova Scotia. The Highgate
was bound from Mostyn to Cardiff, in ballast, and the Sovereign from Barry to Halifax
with coals. Just after the steamer had rounded the Small's lighthouse, at 2 o'clock
on Wednesday morning, the watch saw the lights of the Sovereign perilously near, and
three minutes later the ship crashed into the port side of the Highgate, ripping a
large hole in her plates below the watermark and smashing one of the lifeboats.
Three of the crew of the Sovereign jumped on board the steamer, after which the 
vessels parted and were soon lost to each other's view. The master of the Highgate,
Captain Lewer, discovered that his vessel was rapidly filling, and ordered the 
three uninjured boats to be launched. This was successfully accomplished, and the
whole of the crew, including the three men belonging to the Sovereign, managed to
get clear of the sinking steamer before she went down, some 20 minutes after the
collision. The jolly boat, containing the third engineer, two sailors (one of whom
belonged to the Sovereign), the carpenter, and two firemen, was the first to get
away. Unfortunately, she was prematurely pushed off, before the second mate had
time to enter, and nothing has been heard of her since. In the second boat were
the first and second mates and seven of the crew. These were picked up in about an
hour by a fishing smack and landed at Milford. The last boat to get away contained
the captain and six of the crew who were picked up, about an hour afterwards, by 
the Cyntra, of Dublin, and landed at Milford about 10 o'clock in the morning. In
the meantime the master of the Sovereign, Captain Putnam, had found that his vessel
was very badly damaged and that there was no hope of saving her. He therefore gave
orders for the boats to be lowered. One got off with six men, including the steward,
W.Hundle, of Greenock. The other cotained the captain and eight of the crew. The
latter was tossed about the ocean the whole of Wednesday, and throughout the succ-
eeding night. At half-past 7 on Thursday night they were fortunately sighted by 
Captain Bannister, of the steamer Bay Fisher, who succeeded in rescuilng them.
They were then three miles off the Bishop's Lighthouse and were in a very exhausted
condition, having been exposed to the cold for nearly 30 hours. Two of the men were
almost lifeless, and for six hours restoratives had to be applied. Captain Bannister
landed the shipwrecked men at Port Talbot on Thursday evening. The boat containg 
the other six men of the Sovereign is still missing.

24 March 1890
A boat's crew , consisting of Captain Dixon and nine men, arrived yesterday in Whitby
harbour, and the captain reported that on the previous night, between 8 and 9 o'clock,
his vessel, the brig Black Prince, of Robin Hood's Bay, with a crew of nine hands, and
carrying a cargo of coals from Hartlepool for Portsmouth, was run into off Skinningrove
by a passing steamer going south. The weather was calm at the time with a smooth sea, 
and the steamer stood by the brig for some time, but ultimately the brig's crew had
to take to their long-boat. The vessel foundered. The steamer, which the brig's crew
understood was named Alert, proceeded on her voyage. The crew of the Black Prince
managed to pull their boat into Whitby harbour. The brig is not insured.

2 April 1890
Reward for Gallantry
The Board of Trade have received through the Foreign Office a silver medal and diploma,
which have been awarded by the Spanish Government to Mr.Andrew Hughson, master of the 
steamer Robert Harrowing, of Whitby, in recognition of his services in rescuing the
crew of the Spanish vessel Joven Vicenta, which was wrecked at Cape Gata on the 23rd of
June last.

16 August 1890
Lord Grimthorpe has presented the Rev. J.Fielding Hoyle, B.A., curate of Whitby, to the
vicarage of St.Chad's, Far Headingly, near Leeds.

4 October 1890
(A longish article about the wreck of the Larissa, a barque of 315 tons, with a cargo of 
coal from North Shields, which was wrecked on Gunfleet sands, near Clacton, on 3 October.
The crew lit home-made flares as they had no rocket apparatus on board, but their signals
were not seen at the nearby Gunfleet Lighthouse, or on the mainland, because of heavy mist.
The ship broke in half so the crew made for the lighthouse, but fortunately they were
picked up by the Clacton lifeboat. When they were landed at Clacton the Shipwrecked 
Mariners Institution arranged food, drink and warm clothing for them. The crew were
Captain Robert Whiteman, Blyth; mate, John Ella, Sunderland; W.Hill, Plymouth; G.W.Green,
Whitby; William Ramsey, Blyth; John Bryant, Tynemouth; David Evans, Aberrth (sic - probably
Aberarth), and Jacob Hanson, Nova Scotia. )

12 January 1891
On Saturday the weather continued frosty and fine at Whitby and the neighbourhood, and
hundreds of young people were out on the ice skating on Ruswarp dam and on the River
Esk, adjoining the Carrs. A sad fatality occurred on Ruswarp dam, at the lower part. A
young man named James Bell, about 19 years of age, son of Mr.George Bell, fishing boat
proprietor, ventured too far down the dam, where the ice was not quite so firm as in the
upper reaches. The ice suddenly gave way, and he was submerged. An effort was made to
rescue him by Mr.Naylor, of the Home and Colonial Stores, but the unfortunate young man
disappeared beneath the ice. The body has not yet been recovered.

12 January 1892
During the gale on Sunday night the brig Lancet, belonging to Whitby, was drifting on the
Filey rocks, when the skipper gave orders to cast anchors. This was successfully accomplished 
and signals of distress were sent up. The Filey lifeboat was launched at 4 o'clock yesterday
morning and only succeeded in landing seven of a crew of eight at noon, both crews being
greatly exhausted. One man was drowned while launching the brig's boat in an endeavour to
get ashore.

25 January 1892
Yesterday Captain Ayres and five of the crew of the brig Eliza and Jane, of Whitby, were
landed at Shields, and report the sinking of their vessel off Flamborough Head. The vessel
was from Hartlepool for Lowestoft with coals, and, on Saturday morning, when off Flamborough
Head, during foggy weather, she was run into and sunk by the screw steamer Albertina, of
Newcastle. The crew saved themselves by getting on board the Albertina.

29 June 1892
Lisbon - Steamer Dacia, of Whitby, from Barry for Port Said, struck on a rock off Cape St.
Vincent and was abandoned in a sinking condition; all on board saved.

26 November 1894
Probate, Divorce and Admiralty Division
Harrowing v Harrowing, M'calla, Monson, and Garratt
This was an action by Henry Harrowing, a ship broker at Whitby, for dissolution of his 
marriage with the respondent on the grounds of adultery with the three co-respondents, damages
being claimed against Garratt. The respondent denied the charges against her and made counter
charges of cruelty and adultery against the petitioner, which he denied. The co-respondent 
Garratt denied the charge against him, but the other co-respondents did not appear.
(I won't go in to the details of his case but the salient points about those involved are -
The petitioner and the defendant were married in 1885 at Penge, and then lived at Tunerdale
Hall, near Whitby (Actually Ruswarp). They had two children. Garratt was Robert Henry Garrat, 
who lived, with his wife at Whitby. The two families were acquainted. M'Calla was James M'Calla. 
The Garratts were married in 1887. The divorce was granted and Garratt was to pay damages of 

29 January 1895
Whitby, Jan. 28 - The ketch Princess Royal, Whitby, for Hartlepool, has gone ashore at 
Skinningrove and is a wreck. Crew saved.

1 February 1895
The storm on the north-east coast continues,and during the whole of yesterday very high seas
prevailed, the wind blowing from the east-north-east, accompanied, at intevals, with blinding
showers of snow. A steamer about eight miles to the north of Whitby was seen to be burning
signals of distress, and was suddenly enveloped in a dense storm. Some time after she dashed
on the rocks near Port Mulgrave Harbour, and in a brief period became a total wreck. She
proved to be the screw steamer Waldridge, of Sunderland, lade with coals, from Shields to
Boulogne. The Staithes lifeboat was launched to render assistance to the crew, but the situation
of the vessel on the rocks and the enormous seas that were rolling in rendered it impossible
for the lifeboat to get sufficiently near to the wreck to do any good. In the meantime the 
local rocket apparatus was brought into requisition, and by this means 13 of the crew were
saved. One of the men, however, an able seaman, named James Clarke, belonging to Hartlepool, 
was drowned while being hauled ashore by the life-saving apparatus. The rope by which he was
being drawn to land fouled, and he met with his fate while on the rope and within view of
a large number of spectators who were powerless to save him. Another man, named Pete Hayson, 
of Sunderland, carpenter on board the ship, leaped overboard, and was caught up by a wave
and drowned. All the crew suffered greatly from exposure.

1 April 1896
The Board of Trade have received through the Foreign Office a binocular glass which has been
awarded by the French Government to Mr.F.J.Lewer, master of the steamship Gena, of Whitby, in
recognition of his kindness and humanity on November 26 last to five seamen of the wrecked 
lugger Amelie, of Auray.

13 April 1896
The Board of Trade have awarded bronze medals for gallantry in saving life at sea to George
Webster and John Harrison, fishermen, crew of the fishing coble Sarah, of Whitby, in 
recognition of their services in rescuing the crew of the fishing smack Edward Camble, of
Whitby, which was dismasted off Staithes on March 14. The Board of Trade have awarded bronze
medals for gallantry in saving life at sea, to Thomas Verrill, Joseph Crispin, and Robert
Longster, crew of the fishing coble Mary and Jane, of Whitby, in recognition of their services
in rescuing the crew of the fishing coble Phyllis, of Whitby, which capsized off Staithes on
March 14.

23 May 1896
An interwsting tankard
Messrs. Sotheby, Wilkinson, and Hodge sold thisweek an interesting and historical tankard, the
property of Mr.T.Parrington of Whitby. This tankard was made for William Perryman, of Ormesby,
from whose descendants it passed by will to the Consett family, and thence similarly, to the
Dryden family, from who Mr.Parrington inherited it. It was made by J.Plummer, of York, according
to the published description, between 1578 and 1597, but the work is distinctly later than the
Elizabethan period - probably Carolian. The tankard stands on three feet, and the side is 
beautifully engraved with roses, lilies, sunflowers, and foliage. On the lid are engraved the
Pennyman arms, surrounded by a wreath of flowers. The six pegs inside indicate six gills, the
measure of the tankard, which weighs rather over 28 ounces. It sold at 4 per ounce - 112 8s.

10 December 1896
Ecclesiastical Intelligence
The Rev. Augustus G.Robinson, curate of Whitby, (to be) rector of St.John's, Coventry

1 April 1897
The Ven.Henry Walker Yeoman, Archdeacon of Cleveland, died on Tuesday at Marske-hall, Yorkshire,
in his 81st year. He was educated at Trinity College, Cambridge, wherehe was Senior Optime in
the Mathematics Tripos and first in the second class in the Classical Tripos of 1839. He was
ordained deacon and priest in 1840, and was presented to the vicarage of Marske-by-the-Sea, in
the same year. He was successively rector of Moor Monkton and Rural Dean from 1850 to 1870 and
prebendary of Tockerington in York Minster from 1851 to 1870. In 1883 he was appointed 
Archdeacon of Cleveland. He was the eldest son of Mr.Henry Walker Yeoman, of Woodlands, Whitby,
JP, DL, by a daughter of the first Earl of Zetland.

22 October 1897
At Whitby yesterday a meeting was held, Mr.William Stonehouse, secretary of the Literary and
Philosophical Society , in the chair, to consider the suggestion that a memorial to Caedmon,
the first English poet, shpuld be erected on the Abbey-hill, the place of his inspiration, his
life, his work, and death. Canon Rawnsley read a paper on Caedmon's place in literature and 
his claim upon local recognition as the fountain-head of the deeper vein of English poetry.
A resolution was passed approving the suggestion that a memorial be erected at Whitby, and a
committee was formed to endeavour to carry out the scheme.

2 December 1897
The steamer Cattersty, owned by the Skinningrove Iron Company, whose works are at Skinningrove,
near Whitby, broke way during the storm, and drifted to sea, with only half her crew on board,
and without ballast. Up to last night nothing had been heard of the vessel, and doubts were
expressed of her ability to weather the storm. 

13 December 1897
A Reuters despatch dated Queenstown, December 11, says - The Cunard Royal Mail steamship
Etruria, from New York, which arrived off here today, was delayed 12 hours through falling
in with a disabled steamer, the crew of which she stopped to rescue. At half-past 2 yesterday
afternoon, when 140 miles west of the Fastnet, she sighted the steamship Millfield, of Whitby,
showing signals of distress. Her decks were swept, her funnel was gone, and she was in a
sinking condition. The Etruria stood by her for 12 hours, and finally lowered a lifeboat 
and rescued her crew of 23 hands. THe Millfield was a steamer of 1,410 tons register, owned
at Whitby, and was on a voyage from Baltimore to Belfast, under Captain Willis, with a cargo
of flour, corn and wheat. She started on November 23. Fine weather was experienced during
four days, and then heavy gales occurred. Last Wednesday a terrible hurricane blew from
south-west to north-west, and mountainous seas broke over the ship. One of these carried 
away the funnel, the engine-room skylights, the upper bridge and all the boats. The engine-
room became filled with water, all the fires were put out, and the vessel lay helpless. The
crew made strenuous efforts by pumping and baling to keep the water under, but it gradually
increased, the ship all the time rolling heavily and gradually settling down. As all their 
boats were gone their position seemed almost helpless when the Etruria came in sight. When
rescued by the liner the Millfield's crew were in a thoroughly exhausted state. The Millfield
it was thought, would not keep long afloat after being abandoned. The rescued crew proceeded
in the Etruria to Liverpool.

24 January 1898
At ameeting of the executive committee held at Whitby, on Saturday, the Rev.The Marquis of 
Normanby, canon of Windsor, in the chair, Canon Rawnsley presented the design for the cross 
to be erected in the churchyard of St.Mary's, which had been prepared by Mr.Hodges, of Hexham.
The design is based in scale and treatment upon the four finest specimens of Anglian crosses
remaining from Caedmon's time. The design, with the estimate of the stone carvers, Messrs. 
Beall, of Newcastle, was provisionally accepted. The sum of 150 remains yet to be raised.
On 8 February The Times published a letter from Canon Rawnsley describing the monument and
appealing for the 150 still needed. By 15 August the Caon was able to say that all but 70 
had been raised, the latest contibutors being the Archbishop of York, the Duke of Westminster,
and the Marquis of Ripon. The monument would be unveiled on September 21, by the Poet Laureate)

27 June 1898
The Rev.E.Fox-Thomas, of Whitby, has been chosen first pastor of the new church at West

5 January 1899
The large steamer March, of Whitby, Captain Bell, which has arrived at Londonderry
with 2,500 tons of grain, reports terrific weather during her voyage from Philadelphia.
Huge seas on the 28th ult. carried away the forward bulwarks, upper bridge, and
stanchions, together with one lifeboat. Three other lifeboats were stove in, and four
men received injuries. The gale raged incessantly from the 26th until yesterday.

2 October 1899
Further along the coast towards Whitby the loss is reported of Frank Unthank and his
two sons, fishermen, of Staithes, whose boat was wrecked.

22 March 1900
Humanity Rewarded
Royal Humane Society medal awarded to John Leng, aged 17, for rescuing a boy from
the harbour at Whitby on the 3rd inst.

10 April 1900
The Famine in India
Donors - Mr.Thos. Swailes (Whitby), 10 10s

24 November 1900
Mr.George Pyman, JP, founder of the steam shipping trade of the Hartlepools, died
yesterday at Raithwaite, near Whitby, at the age of 78. He owned the first steamer
built at the port, and the firm of which he was a member now posseses a large fleet
of steamers with branches at Newcastle, Cardiff and London. Mr.Pyman, who was one
of the first mayors of West Hartlepool, began life as a Staithes fisherman.

17 May 1901

31 January 1902
The Rev.R.Southern, curate-in-charge of Topcliffe, Thirsk, has been appointed by 
the Archbishop of York to the vicarage of Grosmont, near Whitby.

13 February 1902
The Rev.E.C.Lace, curate of Whitby (appointed) vicar of Kirk Leatham, Redcar - 
patron Mr.G.H.T.Newcomen.

27 August 1902
The iron barque Elliott, owned by Mr.W.Bowen, of Llanelly, has been posted at Lloyd's
as missing. She left South America for Baltimore, with a cargo of manganese, on
December 19 last, and has not been heard of since. (The list of crew includes
Charles Phillips, Whitby)

30 October 1902
Life-saving apparatus
A new (Board of Trade life-saving) station has been established during the past year at 
Skinningrove (Whitby Division).

23 June 1903
The British steamer Broomfield, 2,386 tons, built in 1902, is reported aground at Conchillas
while on a voyage from Rosario to Dunkirk. The owners, T.Turnbull and Son, Whitby, are
arranging to send assistance. The insurances on her are believed to be small.

1 August 1903
At York, last week, before Mr.Justice Phillimore and a special jury, "The King v Sir Charles
Strickland, Bart." was heard. The offence alleged against the defendant in this case was that
of having obstructed a highway at Whitby. In opening the case for the prosecution Mr.Perks said
that it was one which had given rise to a considerable amount of interest in the town of Whitby.
There was a highway leading up from the old town towardsthe abbey, near to which it opened out
into a plain. Further on towards Hawsker it again narrowed down. In 1866 the defendant caused 
419 square yards of land round a gateway leading to the Abbey-lodge to be enclosed, and in 1873
he caused another piece of land, consisting of 217 square yards, to be enclosed; and it was
contended that both these plots of land formed part of the abbey plain, which was a public
highway. Further attempts had been made in 1890 and 1892 to enclose a further portion of the
abbey-plain; but objections were raised by a number of the inhabitants of Whitby, and the 
attempts were not renewed. In 1892 a movement, which owed much of its vitality to the Rev.
Francis Haydn Williams, a Unitarian minister, arose in Whitby which resulted in the wall 
round the enclosures at the lodge gates being partially destroyed and the wall round the 
other enclosures being demolished. Mr.williams had taken a leading part in the destruction 
of these walls, and the defendant brought anaction against him for an injunction, which was
granted. The question for the jury was whether the ground on which the walls had been erected
formed part of the public highway from Whitby to Hawsker; if it did the portions of the wall
which wre still left constituted an obstruction to the highway. At the close of the case for 
the prosdecution, the learned Judge said that as far as the first alleged encroachment was
concerned none of the witnesses had alleged that the place had been used a highway from point
to point, and he therefore held that with regard to it there was no case to go to the jury.
So far as the other part of the case was concerned, his Lordship told the jury that, if they
liked, they could hear the case for the defence, but if they thought it was so flimsy a case
that the defendant ought not to be called upon to answer it, they could return a verdict of
not guilty without hearing the evidence for the defence. The jury, thereupon, intimated that
they did not wish to hear any more of the case, and at once returned a verdict of "not guilty"
(This case was followed by one against Mr.Chapman, who was alleged to have erected fencing
enclosing part of the highway between Whitby and Hawsker, so similar to the preceding case.
Rev. Francis Haydn Williams was called as a prosecution witness, as he had removed the
fencing. The jury decided they had heard enough beore the defence case and found Chapman
"not guilty"

17 September 1903
At Plymouth, yesterday, Robert Fawcitt Grainger, surgeon, and his wife, were summoned for
neglecting their three children, aged 14, 10, and three and a half years. The proceedings
were instituted by the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children. The
solicitor for the prosecution stated that the male defendant was a surgeon of considerable
ability. He had excellent diplomas, and before coming to Plymouth he had an extensive
practice at Whitby, where his income was never less than 2,000 a year and where he kept
servants and four horses. The female defendant was also a highly-educated person. Medical
evidence was given that these children were in a dirty and neglected condition, and that 
their bed and clothing were also in a shocking state. Domestic servants who had been in the
employment of the defendants said Mr.Grainger was addicted to drink. Neighbours also stated
that they had given the two younger children foodon several occasions, and that Grainger 
had remarked that there was no reason for him to feed his children, as the neighbours did
it for him. The magistrate sentenced the defendants each to two months' imprisonment in
the second division.

27 November 1903
General Medical Council
Mr.Robert Fawcitt Granger, registered as of 85, Church-street, Whitby, with a triple 
qualification of Scotland, 1889, appeared to answer to a summons in consequence of his
conviction for the offence of wilfully neglecting his three children. For this offence
he was sentenced to two months' imprisonment in the second division by a Court of 
summary jurisdiction at Plymouth. Mr.Granger begged the Council to take a lenient 
view of his case. The statements made at his trial were much exagerated, and from want
of means he had been unable to make his case good. Though there had been some neglect
of the children, it had not been wilful. He denied that he had given way to habits of
intoxication at Plymouth, though he admitted that they, in connexion with family
troubles, had been the cause of his leaving Whitby.
The Council, after hearing the evidence of Mr.G.W.Watts, an officer of the Society
for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, who conducte the case at Plymouth, delib-
erated in private. 
The President said the Council were willing to give Mr.Granger an opportunity of
redeeming himself, and the only course open for him was to cease to take alcoholic drink
of all kinds. The Council would allow six months' probation, and if at the meeting in
May he could produce reliable evidence that he had ceased those habits which had reduced
him to his impecunious position his name would be retained on the register.

8 April 1904
Ssrah, Lady Elliot, the widow of Sir George William Elliot, second baronet, and formerly
member of Parliament for the Richmond Divison of Yorkshire, died at her residence, 
8, Royal-crescent, Whitby, yesterday. She had been suffering from appendicitis for some
days, and underwent an operation on Wednesday. A relapse, however, took place.

22 September 1904
Whitby Jet Frauds
At Bradford yesterday, Albert Fasnacht, and Eleanor Winter, Darley-street, Bradford, were
fined respectively 40 and costs, and 20s and costs for selling imitation jet brooches as
Whitby jet. The Board of Trade prosecuted. It was stated that formerly in the Whitby jet
trade 1,500 persons were employed, and the annual income from the production and manufacture
of jet articles was 150,000 but the trade had been crippled by the importation of imitation
goods from abroad. The Board of Trade wanted it to be known that goods sold as jet must be

Go to my Main Site Homepage