13 January 1860
The Dean of Carlisle on Teetotalism
This is a long report but the piece that relates to Whitby says that
"Whitby was a seaport abounding with drunken sailors" - The curate had been trying for years 
to increae his congregation but had not been able to get the sailors into his church, so he
started visiting them in their homes in the evening and found that the cause of their absence
was drink. He talked to them about the evils of drink, becoming teetotal himself, and got 
others to join him. Eventually the town saw a great reformation and it had improved greatly. 
He had added 1300 to his Teetotal Society. He had also converted all the local clergy and
Dissenting ministers, except one, who was forbidden to become Teetotal by his physician !

26 March 1860
Royal College of Surgeons
The following gentlemen, having undergone the necessary examinations for the diploma, were
admitted members of the college at a meeting of the Court of Examiners on the 23rd instant
John Taylerson, Whitby, Yorkshire

26 November 1860
An Old Sailor - A very old craft has come to her end during the stormy weather this week -
The Flying Fish, wrecked off Filey, - She was built at Whitby in 1783, and was consequently
77 years old. Mr.Edmund Woolterton, the master and owner, who resided at Bath-street, South
Shields, and who is a fine specimen of the British sailor, has weathered the storms of 71
winters, having spent 60 of them at sea, and 50 of them on board The Flying Fish.

8 December 1860
Preservation of Life from Shipwreck
A meeting of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution was held on Thursday at its house, John-
street, Adelphi, Mr.Thomas Chapman, V.P., F.R.S., in the chair...... The following rewards
were voted by the meeting to the crews of lifeboats of the institution for their laudable
exertions in saving life from shipwrecks during the recent stormy weather.......6 to the
men who manned the Filey lifeboat on the morning of the 10th ult., and saved the crew of
five men of the brig Flying Fish, of Whitby, ......

19 December 1860
Loss of three vessels, Great Yarmouth, Dec.17
At 4am today the brigantine John and Anne, of and from Whitby, for Little Hampton, block-
stone, Simpson, master, while proceeding through the Cockle Gateway, the wind blowing 
strong from the N.E., and weather thick, struck upon the Barber Patch. The master had just
previously cast his lead, which showed seven fathoms of water. The crew of six were taken 
off by a Caistor Yawl, and landed here the same morning. She has since disappeared. Vessel
and cargo insured......

29 December 1860
The Civil Service
.......Mr. T.E.Fawcett, principal coast officer at Lytham, has been promoted to be clerk, 
etc., at Whitby

14 January 1861
Fatal Sickness on board ship
Plymouth, Sunday Evening
The brig Mignonette, Captain C.Selbery, of and for LOndon, 44 days from Surinam, put into the
Sounds this evening. After her cargo of sugar was on board fever and ague appeared among the
crew, but, as seven men sent ashore from a Dutch merchant ship had all died in the hospital,
it was determined to go to sea, hoping that the change of air might give relief. Robert Smith,
of Whitby, able seaman, died in December; Robert Walker, of Leith, died December 23, and Peter
Anderson, a Swede, this morning and was buried at sea. All the crew were severely afflicted,
except the master, Isaac Fisher, the carpenter; William Selbery, seaman; and Harry Hunt, boy.
While they attended to the ship the sick were without help.
The following are at the Sailors Home here, - Joseph Aver, mate, dangerous; James Frike, steward;
Frederick Day, seaman; Norveski, seaman; and John Mew, boy. Near Falmouth the brig obtained 
two men from the ship John Howe, from Moulmain. The Mignonette belongs to Messrs. Scrutton and

12 February 1861
The Loss of the Whitby Lifeboat
To the editor of the Times
Sir, - Will you allow your paper to add another tale of anguish to the many which have lately
called forth the sympathy pf the public ?
We have had a fearful storm here today at Whitby; half a mile of our strand is already strewed
with seven wrecks. Our new lifeboat was but launched a few months ago and was manned with the
old crew of the finest picked seamen in Whitby. Five times during the day had they braved the
furious sea, and five times returned with crews save from vessels in distress. A sixth ship
was driven in behind the pier. The men, all axhausted though they were, again pulled out, but
before they had gone 50 yards a wave capsized the boat. Then was beheld by several thousand
persons - within almost a stone's throw, but unable to assist - the fearful agonies of those
powerful men, buffeting with the fury of the breakers, till one by one 12 out of 13 sank, and 
only one survived. 
I have to add that 11 out of these 12 were married, and have left families; and I am sorry to
say that I, myself, knowing that, owing to the severe winter to fishermen, nearly all are left
destitute. Whitby will do its duty to its bravest hands; but I feel assured that an old lifeboat's
crew, who have saved hundreds of our fellow creatures from such a fate as this, and at last 
perished in the noble discharge of their duty to the public, will have the wants of their 
bereaved families cared for by the readers of The Times.
I am, Sir, your most obedient servant,
William Keane, Perpetual Curate of Whitby,
Whitby Parsonage, Yorkshire, Saturday night, Feb.9
NB: On 15 February a further letter from Mr.Keane listed a number of donations received, 
including 5 from Charles L.Dodgson, Christ Church, which I take to be Lewis Caroll.

16 February 1861
The Late Lifeboat Catastrophe at Whitby
The loss of 12 lives by the upsetting of a lifeboat at Whitby was recorded in The Times of last
Monday. We have now to add that a public meeting, convened by the magistrates, was held at St.Hilda's
-hall, Whitby, on Thursday last, for the purpose of entering into a subscription for the benefit of
the widows and families of those who were drowned by the upsetting of the lifeboat on Saturday last.
A series of resolutions were passed, and a committee appointed to carry them out. Numbers of
subscriptions were announced from strangers of sums varying from 1 to 50.The Rev. William Keane
had received 112 letters containing about 350, being the result of the insertion of a letter in
The Times. The amount realized at the meeting, including the above, was upwards of 900. Messrs.
James Walker and John Buchanan were apponted Hon. Secretaries.
NB: On 19, 22, 23, 25, 26 & 28 February and 6 March further lists of contributers were published, 
some of them from other lifeboat crews.

16 March 1861
Spring Assizes, Northern Circuit, York, March 13
Anderson v Thistle
This was an action of breach of promise of marriage. The defendant pleaded intoxication and fraud.
Mr.Price, Q.C., and Mr.Shepherd appeared for the plaintiff; and the defendant was unrepresented
by Counsel.
The plaintiff was a widow, about 30 years old, keeping a lodging-house in Whitby, and the defendant
was a farmer inthe neighbourhood, who was in the habit of attending the Whitby market. The defendant
was about 40 years old. He became intimate at the plaintiff's house, attending there every market 
day, and on the 10th of November last he came, the weather being very wet, and remained there for
that and four succeeding nights. He then became engaged to the plaintiff; a marriage licence was
afterwards procured, and the parties actually started for the church to be married, when the 
defendant was met near the church door by two friends, who took him by the arm, asked him if he 
was mad, and carried him off. For this conduct, and for the course adopted by the defendant in 
putting pleas of fraud and intoxication upon the record, the learned counsel for the plaintiff asked
for something like exemplary damages.
A servant in the plaintiff's house, and the mother of the plaintiff, were called, and proved the
engagement, and her sister-in-law proved being bridesmaid for the wedding, starting for the church,
and the escape of the defendant on the way. The witnesses also spoke to the defendant's sobriety.
The learned Judge comented upon the hasty nature of the engagement and the meagreness of the
evidence as to the defendant's capacity to pay damages; and the Jury found for the plaintiff - 
Damages 100

20 April 1861
A deputation from Whitby, in reference to the Harbours Bill, consisting of Mr.Christopher Richardson,
Mr.W.Jameson and Mr.Joseph Hunter, introduced by Mr.H.S.Thompson, M.P. for Whitby, and Mr.E.S.
Cayley, M.P. for the North Riding, had an interview with the Right Hon. T.Milner Gibson and the Right 
Hon, W.Hutt, on Wednesday, at the office of the Board of Trade.

30 May 1861
Vice-Admiral Constantine Richard Moorsom, whose death took place on Sunday last, was born on 22 September
1792. He was the eldest son of Sir Robert Moorsom, K.C.B., of Whitby. He was educated at the Royal 
Naval College where he distinguished himself by gaining the first medal......
(Full details of his naval career are given - transcript available on request)

20 August 1861
Summer Assizes, Northern Circuit, Liverpool, Aug.19
Marwood v Cross
This was an action for contribution , to recover 78 12s 6d, and other claims.
It appeared that the plaintiff, Thomas Marwood, is a ship insurance broker at Whitby, and is also the
manager of two ship insurance associations known as The Whitby General and The Whitby Sea 
Assurance Associations, and the defendant, Mr.Henry Cross, is a shipowner at Sunderland, and a
member of both these associations.....
A settlement was reached for the defendant to pay 250 to the plaintiff on terms.

14 November 1861
The old Brotherly Love, of South Shields, a collier brig, reported to be within three years of being
100 years old, and on board which Captain Cook served part of his time, after running away from the
tradesman's shop in Whitby, it was stated, was also lost, but she has cast up at Blackwall, safe and

26 December 1861
The Whitby Volunteers were inspected by Captain Pierson the same evening. The Corps was afterwards
presented with a pair of cymbals, the gift of Mr. Thomas Chapman, of London, the presentation being
made in his name by Lieutenant Chapman. A melancholy duty devolved on the corps, owing to the 
decease of Gunner Zealand, whose body they escorted part of the way to Scarborough, the band playing
the "Dead March".

6 January 1862
The officers of the Whitby Artillery Volunteers met on Monday to present a tea service to Sergeant 
Robert Gray, who has acted as honorary secretary to the corps. The sergeant has recently married, and
the officers thought this a very suitable method of marking their sense of the sergeant's value to
the company. A very joyous evening was passed.

17 November 1862
Police - Thames
John Kingston, described as a labourer, of No.1, Upper Well-alley, Wapping, was charged with being 
concerned with another man not in custody in assaulting Mr.John Wilson, an auctioneer, of Whitby,
Yorkshire, and attempting to rob him.
The prosecutor said that business connected with a Chancery Suit brought him to London. He had been
staying at an eatinghouse on Holborn-hill. On Friday night he went to Rose's Publichouse in High Street,
Wapping, and met with several Yorkshiremen. He did not leave until nearly 2 o'clock in the morning. He
had not proceeded more than 200 yards from the publichouse whe he was accosted by the prisoner and
another man, who asked him where he was going. He replied that he was going home. The two fellows then
asked him to treat them. He declined doing so, and said "I have no money, leave me; I am not in the
practice of treating people." In an instant one of the ruffians grasped him by the neck, and the prisoner
seized him by the collar of his coat behind and flung him with great violence on the ground. He fell on
the back of his head; he was half stunned, and the prisoner got on the top of him and began rifling every 
pocket he had. He partially recovered and shouted "Murder" and "Police" as loud as he was able. He got 
up and the prisoner struck him on the face. He fell a second time. He called out "Murder" and "Police" as
loud as he was able. The prisoner made use of dreadful oaths and recommenced rifling his pockets, when a
policeman arrived, and he was saved from further violence. He had about 2 in gold and silver in his 
pockets. He missed nothing. He was very much hurt by the falls. He fell on his head the first time, and
on his hip the second time, and was in very great pain.
Police-constable Edward Lock, No. 84k, confirmed the story as above and said that Kingston had often 
been seen about the streets late at night and was the companion of thieves. He said Mr.Wilson was quite sober.
Defendant produced no defence and was committed for trial.

22 November 1862
Court for Divorce and Matrimonial Causes, Nov.21
Cooke v Cooke and Elmsall
This was a petition by Sir William Ridley Charles Cooke, Bart., for a dissolution of his marriage with
Dame Harriett Eloise Cooke, on the grounds of her adultery with Mansfield Elmsall. The respondent and
co-respondent pleaded a denial of the charge.
Sir Charles Cooke had married Dame Harriett on the 17th April 1855 and they lived together at Wheatley-hall, 
in Yorkshire. Dame Harriett was the daughter of a deceased clegyman named Trebeck. Four or five years after
the marriage there were dissentions between them over Elmsall, and Dame Harriett left and went to stay in
Chelsea. She then wrote to Sir Charles saying that she and Elmsall had, for some time, been more than good
friends but nothing untoward had taken place between them. She asked if Sir Charles would take her back and
promised to do her best to "deserve your confidence in future". He accepted her back but in 1861 he had cause
to remonstrate with her again over Elmsall, and she left him and went to live with her mother in Whitby, and 
then in Dover. She then left with Elmsall for the Continent, where Sir Charles' solicitor found her and served
the citation of the divorce suit. 
Witnesses were brought by the petitioner and a decree nisi was granted.

6 January 1863
The Whitby Artillery Vounteers held a prize meeting at Saltwick on Thursday. The firing was very good, and the
prizes were won by gunner Scales, first; bombardier Stubbs, second; Lieutenant Raw and gunner Bonham, third and
fourth respectively.

13 April 1863
The Civil Service - Customs
Mr.David Kidd, assistant examining officer at Gainsborough, to be examining officer at Whitby.

25 August 1863
On the same day (Wednesday) the Whitby Artillery Volunteers held a prize meeting. Each competitor fired four 
shots at 100 and 200 yards. The short Enfield given by Mr.George Read was won by gunner G.Miller, the second
prize by Quartermaster Sergeant Kirby, the third by gunner Bryant, the fourth by Sergeant-Major Barry, the 
fifth by Corporal Robinson and the sixth by Sergeant Bolton. Sergeant Bartindale's prize for the volunteer
making the most bull's-eyes was also won by gunner G.Miller. The meeting closed wit a sweep-stakes, won by 
Sergeant-Major Ibbotson, first, Captain Pierson being second.

9 December 1863
In the same gale the vessel Herald belonging to Mr.Knaggs of Whitby, of 172 tons, and valued at 1,300 was lost.
She left London for Whitby, with ballast, and with a crew of seven hands, on Monday week. On the afternoon of 
Wednesday she was struck by a heavy squall when abreast of the Mouse light, and dismasted. The crew took to the
longboat and were picked up by the schooner Pilot, of Goole, and landed at Lowestoft next day. The captain, 
Joseph Shaw, afterwards deposed to the circumstances under which the vessel was lost before the registrar of
that port.

26 December 1863
The Burial Service - Some interest has been excited in the Diocese of York in consequence of an application which
was made to the Archbishop to institute proceedings in the Ecclesiastical Court against the Rev.W.Keane, Vicar of
Whitby, who refused to read the burial service in the cemetery over the body of a drunken man who was killed in a
fight, Mr.Keane being an ardent temperance advocate. The cemetery, it appears, is not consecrated, and the Arch-
bishop has refused to consecrate it until some guarantee was given by the Board of management against the 
intrusion of a Dissenting minister into the portion of the ground set aside for Churchmen. Mr.Keane based his
refusal to bury the man mainly on considerations arising out of the Burial Service itself......

2 January 1864
A letter from Rev.William Keane, Vicar of Whitby, referring to the report of 26 December above. The letter is a
defence of his actions and refutes an implication in the earlier report that he was censured by the Archbishop.
The main point of interest, however, is that it gives the name of the drunken man that Keane would not bury as 
Robert Deighton,

6 January 1864
Central Criminal Court, Jan.5, Old Court
Edward Reeves, employed as a "lumper" in the docks, was arraigned upon an indictment charging him with assaulting 
one Henry Stevenson, and robbing him of about 48
(Summarised) Henry Stevenson, of Whitby, was the master of the brig John Murray of Whitby. On 12 November he was in
London where he met up with a woman, with whom he spent the day at a public-house in Tooley Street, and in the 
evening went to The George in Mint Street, where they met some other men, including Reeves. Stevenson bought them
all drinks and then Reeves started "hustling" him and took his purse containing 48. He resisted but Reeves and
another man knocked him down. The Jury found Reeves Guilty and he was sentenced to 18 months hard labour.

13 February 1864
The Goathland Railway Accident
As stated yesterday the breaking of the wire rope upon the Goathland incline of the Malton and Whitby branch of
the North Eastern Railway on Wednesday night resulted in a most dreadful accident. The train appears to have 
shot down the incline with terrific speed, and to have lost the gravitation line in traversing the sharp curve
at the bottom, rolling completely over. The breakvan was entirely demolished ; and of the first-class carriage 
in which the two deceased gentlemen were travelling only the framework and the wheels remained. The remainder 
of the train was more or less broken up. The pulleys between the rails on the incline are mostly torn up by
fragments of the rope. The breaksman, after screwing down his break, leapt out of the carriage, and Sedman, the
guard, leapt from his van just at the moment the train overturned.He is somewhoat injured by the fall, but not
seriously. Some remarkable escapes are recorded. One of these is Mr. Douglas, C.E., who alighted at the top of
the incline in mistake and was left behind. He ran after the train, hoping to catch it at the bottom, and arrived
to render great assistance at thee wreck. Before leaving the train he had occupied the same compartment as the 
two deceased. 
Immediately after the accident the medical men in the neighbourhood - Drs. Whalley (Grosmont), Wilson and Yeoman
(Whitby) - were telegraphed for, and were early in attendance on the injured passengers. The casualties are as
Killed: Mr.John Mickle, 58 years of age, Deceased was a commercial traveller from Newcastle, in the employ of
Messrs. J & W Campbell, drapers, Glasgow. Deceased had the greater part of the first-class carriage upon him.
Mr.William Torry, 35 years old, from Newcastle, a traveller for Messrs. Arthur and Co., drapers, Glasgow. Deceased
was suffocated, a cushion covering his face, upon which was a portion of the heavy part of the carriage. Only about
five minutes elapsed before the deceased were got out, but both were quite dead.
The following is a list of those most seriously injured:-
Mr.Nichol, commercial traveller (Lockwood Brothers and Co., cutlers, Sheffield) severely cut on the head and 
bruised on the chest. This gentleman wasin the same carriage as the deceased and says the first indication of
the rope giving way was the sudden impetus of the train, and the repeated jerking of the buffers. He remembers
a momentary feeling of travelling at "lighning speed", but remembers nothing more till after the crash. 
Mr.Bensley of London, commercial traveller for Mr.G.Evans, muslin warehouseman, cut and bruised.
Mr.Parkinson, machinist, Ripon, cut and bruised on the face.
Mr.W.Dennis, draper, Whitby, cut about the head and severely so on the leg.
Master Christopher Eglon, 15 years old, of Whitby, fracture of shoulder and cut on the head.
Miss Sarah Pennock, of Pickering, cut on the cheek.
Joseph Duck, labourer, Grosmont, cut across the head. 
George Hopper, (residence not ascertained), collar bone broken and badly contused.
Miss M.Harwood, of Whitby, contusions.
There were other slighter accidents - indeed, the results are light in comparison with the dreadful nature of the
accident, it being a general cause  of wonder that every passenger was not killed on the spot. Fortunately, the 
train passed the bridge over Ellerbeck, else the consequences must have been truly awful. The passengers arrived
at Whitby at 1 o'clock on Thursday morning. 
On Thursday afternoon an inquest was opened upon the bodies of the deceased gentlemen, at the Court-House, Whitby,
before Mr.J.Buchanan, district coroner.
(Summarised) - Mr.Richardson of York, solicitor, was in court representing the railway company. Also Mr.Christison,
the company's general passenger superintendent.
Robert Ritson Rowntree, commercial traveller, Sunderland, gave evidence that he had identified the bodies of the 
deceased, with whom he had travelled from Scarborough. He had known them for several years.
Police Constable George Hodgson said that he was stationed at Beck-hole. He arrived about 3 minutes after the
accident had occurred. 
The Coroner then stopped the proceedings as he said he thought the accident had ocurred outside his area and he
needed a decision on this before continuing. The case was adjourned.

16 February 1864
The Goathland Railway Accident
On Saturday afternoon Mr.Buchanan, the coroner for Whitby district, resumed the inquiry into the deaths of Mr.
Torry and Mr.Meigle, the commercial travellers, who were killed at the bottom of the Goathland incline on Wednesday
night last.The Coroner said that he had found that he had legal status for proceeding with the inquiry, but did not
intend then to go fully into the matter. He, however, should give his certificates for the burials of the bodies. 
The father of Mr.Torry and the brother of Mr.Meigle were present, and the bodies of the deceased were given up to 
them, and were sent off by train the same afternoon. There were solicitors present on behalf of the friends of both
the deceased. The Coroner said that in order to give Colonel Yolland, the Government Inspector, the requisite time,
and to allow of the railway company being in readiness, he should further adjourn the inquiry till Friday next. The
Coroner then pledged himself to inform the representatives of the deceased should anything affecting them come to 
light in the interim. The jury are bound over to appear.

24 February 1864
The Goathland Railway Accident
The fifth day's inquiry at Whitby has resulted in a verdict of "accidentally killed by the breaking of the wire rope,
which was insufficient for the purposes of the incline, with a censure on the company".
(NB: On 15 July 1864 at Newcastle the widow of W.Torry took action for compensation against the North Eastern Railway
Company, who had already paid 1500 compensation - the plaintiff was awarded a further 50)

29 March 1864
Midland Circuit
York, March 25
Crown Court (before Mr.Justice Byles)
Frederick Robert Winterburn, aged 25, was charged with stealing a postal letter containing fifteen 5 notes, the
property of the Postmaster-General, at Whitby, in the North Riding, on the 10th January last.
Winterburn had been an assistant in the Whitby Post Office for 2 years prior to January 1864. On 9 January a letter
was posted from Messrs. Simpson and Chapman's, Whitby Old Bank, at Whitby Post Office. The letter contained the 
notes in question and was addressed to the Head Office of the National Provincial Bank, Stockton-on-Tees. The letter
did not arrive at Stockton and an inquiry was instituted. By this time Winterburn had left his job to open a stationery
business. On 16 January Winterburn went to London and bought some stationery from a wholesaler. However, he was being 
watched, as some suspicion had fallen on him. It was alledged by the prosecution that the notes he used to pay for the
goods were the ones that were missing. The Whitby Bank had not kept details of the numbers but the notes were traced as
being ones which a Mr.Potter had been paid at the Guisborough branch of the National Provincial Bank, and from him they
passed to Mr.Scarth of Whitby, who paid them into the Whitby Bank the week befor the robbery. When questioned Winterburn
said he had been paid with these notes when he took out his savings from the Post Office before he left their employ.
Miss Jefferson, who was also a assistant at Whitby Post Office and paid Winterburn his savings denied that these were
the notes she paid him.
The Jury's verdict was GUilty and Winterburn was committed to penal servitude for four years.

10 June 1864
Court for Divorce and Matrimonial Causes
Pearson v Pearson
This was a wife's petition for restitution of conjugal rights. The husband had entered an appearance, but had filed 
no answer. 
Mrs.Pearson was accordngly examined. She said she was married at Falmouth in October, 1843, and her husband was the
Captain of a merchant ship. After they had lived together for a few days he went to sea, and he wrote to her to go 
to his family at Whitby. She went to Whitby and saw his mother, who told her that she would not have cared if she
had married any of her other sons, but the petitioner was her favourite son and she should not maintain her, but
should send her to the poor-house. The petitioner's mother then kept her locked up for three weeks, and gave her 
nothing but bread and water, and said that was better than she deserved. When her husband returned she asked him to 
live with her, but he refused to do so or to provide a home for her. She then went to him with an Attorney, and he
agreed to allow her 7s 6d a week, and he paid that allowance for 15 years. The petitioner is now the captain of a
vessel trading to China, and is at present abroad. 
His Lordship granted a decree to be served on the respondent on his return to England, directing him to receive his 
wife within a fortnight of the service.

25 October 1864
About 7 o'clock, after a few light shipshad taken the harbour safely, the brig Derwent, Captain Storm, of Whitby, 
coal laden, which was putting in for shelter, struck heavily on the bar, but as the tide was flowing she was 
eventually carried in without much damage.

26 October 1864
The Eliza Hall, of Whitby, which had stranded at Granton on Sunday morning, was last night breaking up. She had 
sailed from Gefle, in Sweden, on the 16th of September, commanded by Captain Carr, with a crew of seven men and 
a cargo of timber and iron for London.

5 November 1864
Royal National Lifeboat Institution
The silver medal of the Institution, a copy of its vote on parchment, and 2 were
voted to Mr.Angus Campbell, carpenter on board the cutter Princess Royal, belonging
to the Edinburgh Board of Fisheries, for his brave conduct in wading into the surf 
and effecting a communication, after three gallant attempts, by which means the crew
of eight men were saved from inevitable death from the brig Eliza Hall, of Whitby,
which was totally wrecked during a very heavy gale of wind on the rocks outside the
breakwater of Granton-harbour on the night of the 22nd ult.

16 November 1864
Royal College of Surgeons
The following gentlemen having undergone the neccessary examinations for the diploma,
were admitted members of the College at a meeting of the Court of Examiners on the 
15th inst., -
James William Smith, Whitby (Guy's)

22 February 1865
The Gale - Shields, Tuesday
The Thomas and Margaret, a Whitby yawl, but sailing from Staithes, under William 
Cole, went ashore north of Seaton Carew, having lost her main-sail in heavy seas. 
The West Hartlepool pilots hatened to launch the lifeboat at Seaton Sands, and the
men on board HMS Trincomalee hurried along the beach with rocket launching apparatus.
However, it was considered that neither was needed, as the tugboat Thomas and Mary 
went out to the assistance of the yawl, but was almost swamped by heavy seas. On
going ashore the Thomas and Margaret had managed, initially, to keep her stern to 
the sea, but it was constantly expected that the sea would carry away the crew.
Some labourers on the shore shouted to the crew to keep together on their boat until
the lifeboat came, and they all joined together together around a mast to await the
lifeboat. However, the waves eventually broke the group and scattered them around
the deck. After six or eight such waves the crew decided to launch their small boat,
which they did and one man got into it whilst the others held on to it by a rope. 
Eventually all nine crew got into the small boat. No sooner had they got into it than
another huge wave washed them all overboard. They all drowned.

2 June 1865
Royal National Lifeboat Institution
A reward of 26 was voted to the crew of the Whitby lifeboat of the Institution 
for putting off twice during the past few weeks through a very heavy sea and
saving 15 persons, including the captain's wife and a lad, 12 years of age, from
the screw steamer Ocean Queen, of Newcastle, and 19 persons from the bark Maria
Somes, of London, both of which vessels were wrecked on the rocks off Whitby

7 June 1865
On Monday a meeting was held in St.Hilda's Hall for the purpose of organizing an
opposition to the re-election of Mr.H.S.Thompson, the present member for that
borough. Mr. Samuel Flintoft moved, and Mr. William Wood seconded, that Mr. George
Hudson be invited to contest the seat. Mr. Robert Barry moved, and Mr.J.J.Rigg
seconded, that the Hon. Arthur Duncombe be requested to become a candidate at the
next election. For Mr.Hudson, 30 voted, and 11 for Mr.Duncombe. A requisition is
therefore in course of signature to Mr.Hudson, for whom many of the people of Whitby
prefer a high esteem. On the other hand, it is hardly probable that the heads of the
Tory party will unanimously support that gentleman. 

15 July 1865
The Yorkshire Elections
There have been some exciting scenes at the borough elections in this county. For 
excitement, Whitby stands at the head. The arrest of Mr.George Hudson (the "Railway
King") by a sheriff's officer, and his lodgement in York Castle, on Monday, just on
the eve of the contest which it was confidently believed was to send him once more 
to Parliament, caused such an uproar and so increased the previous ill-feeling against
Mr.Thompson, the late member, and chairman of the railway company, that it was resolved,
if possible, to oust Mr.Thompson, and by so doing "avenge Hudson's wrongs". In the 
emergency Mr.C.Bagnall, a new aspirant for Paliamentary honour, came forward as a 
Conservative, and at once filled the vacancy created by the arrest of Mr.Hudson, and
the Conservatives, as a united body, placed him at the head of the poll. 

29 July 1865
To the Editor of the Times
Sir,- As some of the Conservative papers are still publishing letters from anonymous
correspondents, who profess to believe that I was in some way or other connected with 
Mr.Hudson's arrest, I trust that you will do me the favour of inserting in the Times
the accompanying letter from the eminent solicitors Messrs. Wilde and Co., written in
answer to one from my election agents, Messrs. Gray and Pannett, of Whitby. That letter
is conclusive that the arrest in question had no connexion with electioneering proceed-
ings, and I have only to add that neither I nor anyone acting for the North-Eastern
Railway Company, were, either directly or indirectly, cognizant of or connected with
Mr.Hudson's arrest.
I am, Sir, your most obedient servant,
Travellers' Club, July 27
(there follows the letter concerned -
"21, College-hill, London, July 14
Sandeman v Hudson
Dear Sirs, - We have to acknowledge your letter of yesterday, and are greatly surprised
to find that the arrest of Mr.Hudson on the writ of execution issued in this cause by us
as the plaintiff's attorneys should be attributed to political motives. This assertion
is utterly destitute of foundation.
The execution is for a large debt, due to the late firm of Sanderson, Sandeman and Co.,
of which the plaintiff is the surviving representative.
The judgement was put in force because if the defendant had been allowed to get into
Parliament without paying this debt the plaintiff's remedy would be lost, or at least in
abeyance so long as the Parliament lasted.
We need hardly add that we know nothing of the politics of Whitby, which do not concern
us or our clients in any way.
we remain, dear Sirs, yours very obediently,
Wilde, Rees, Humphrey, and Wilde
Messrs. Gray and Pannett, solicitors, Whitby")  

13 December 1865
Midland Circuit, York, Dec.12
Thomas Locker was charged with firing a loaded pistol at Eleanor White with intent 
to murder her, and was further charged with firing the pistol with intent to do
grievous bodily harm.
The prosecutrix, a young girl 15 years of age, resided with her mother at Whitby. 
The prisoner, a youth of 18 or 19, also lived in the same place. He had kept company
with her, but she had ceased to go with him in consequence of her mother's orders.
About 7 in the evening of the 12th of October last the prosecutrix was in Baxter-gate
street, looking in at a shop window, when she heard a whistle, and on turning round
she saw the prisoner standing in a passage leading to Smith's-yard. She went across
to him. The prisoner went up the yard, ans the prosecutrix followed him. She told 
him that her mother would not allow her to go with him. He then placed himself 
between the passage and her to prevent her returning to the street. At the other
end of the yard there were steps leading to the quay. The girl tried to escape by
the steps. As she was about to mount the steps the prisoner fired a loaded pistol
at her; the shot passed on her left, peppering her straw hat, and occasioning five
or six small wounds on the left side of her head. She was rendered insensible, and
as she fell the prisoner jumped over her head and ran away. The prisoner was 
apprehended the same evening. A loaded pistol was found upon him, and some powder 
and shot. When charged with the offence he said "I wish I had blown her brains out".
The Jury found the prisoner Guilty of firing the pistol with intent to do grievous
bodily harm. His Lordship sentenced the prisoner to five years' penal servitude.      
3 February 1865
The Mediterranean [Straits of Gibraltar]
The English bark Volta, of Whitby, Storm, master, from San Jose, near Almeria, laden 
with lead and grass for Newcastle, went on shore at 4am on the opposite side of the 
bay, between the two rivers.

19 February 1865
The Mediterranean
The bark Volta, Captain Storm, of whitby, from Alicante, for Newcastle, which went ashore 
between the two rivers during the stormy weather on the 29th ult., was got afloat afer
beinglightened of her cargo, and towed to the Gibraltar side of the bay on the evening of 
the 8th inst. by the steam-tug Adelia.

13 September 1866
Ocean Rowing Match For 200
On Tuesday the match for the "championship of the German Ocean", of 100 a side, with a 
champion's cup, was rowed between four Staithes fishermen, and four Blyth miners. the former
needed little training, but the latter have for some time been under the care of Taylor of
Newcastle. The course was about 11 miles - Whitby pier being the winning post. Although a
strong wind prevailed the sea was smooth. the race was a good one and occasioned much
excitement, the boats being accompanied by steamers with crowds of people. The staithes
fishermen kept ahead all the way, and won by about 50 seconds only.

19 March 1867
"Flint Jack" - A notorious Yorkshireman - one of the greatest imposters of our times -
was last week sentenced to 12 months imprisonment for felony at Bedford. The prisoner
gave the name of Edward Jackson, but his real name is Edward Simpson, of Sleights, Whitby,
although he is equally well known as John Wilson, of Burlington, and Jerry Taylor, of 
Billery-dale, Yorkshire Moors. Probably no man is wider known than Simpson is under his
aliases in various districts - viz. "Old Antiquarian", "Fossil willy", "Bones", "Shirtless",
"Cockney Bill", and "Flint Jack", the latter name universally. Under one or other of these
designations Edward Simpson is knownthroughout England, Scotland and Ireland - in fact, 
wherever geologists or archaelologists resided, or wherever a museum was established, there
did Flint Jack assuredly pass off his forged fossils and antiquities. For nearly 30 years 
this extraordinary man has led a life of imposture. During that period he has "tramped"
the kingdom through, repeatedly vending spurious fossils , Roman and British urns, fibulae,
coins, flint arow-heads, stone celts, stone hammers, adzes etc., flint hatchets, seals, rings,
leaden antiquities, manuscripts, Roman armour, Roman milestones, jet seals and necklaces, 
and numerous other forged antiquities. His great field was the North and East Ridings of
Yorkshire - Whitby, Scarborough, Burlington, Malton, and York being the chief places where
he obtained his flint or made his pottery. Thirty years ago he was an occasional servant to
the late Dr.Young, the historian, of Whitby, from whom he acquired his knowledge of geology
and archaeology, and for some years after the doctor's death he led an honest life as a
collector of fossils and a helper in archaeological investigations. He imbibed, however, a
liking for drink, and he admits that from that cause his life for 20 years past has been one 
of great misery. To suply his cravings for liquor he set about the forging of both fossils
and antiquities about 23 years ago, when he "squatted" in the clay cliffs of Bridlington 
Bay, but subsequently removed to the woods of Stainton-dale, where he set up a pottery for 
the manufacture of British and other urns, and flint and stone implements, with which he
gulled the antiquaries of the three kingdoms. In 1859, during one of his trips to London,
Flint Jack was charged by Professor Tennant with the forgery of antiquities. He confessed, 
and was introduced on the platform of various societies, and exhibited the simple mode of 
his manufacture of spurious flints. From that time his trade became precarious, and Jack sunk
deeper and deeper into habits of dissipation, until at length he became a thief, and was last
week convicted on two counts and sent to prison for 12 months.

19 March 1867
Falmouth, Monday, Noon
The brig Uhla, of Whitby, Loraine, master, from Shields for Constantinople with coals, drifted
from her anchors, struck the ground off the breakwater, and was abandoned, with six feet of 
water in the hold.

31 July 1867
The Ships in the White Sea
The Montezuma, Government transport, Webb, arrived in the Tay on Monday evening, bringing
128 shipwrecked British sailors andone woman, - Mrs.Cole of Whitby - and two children, from
Archangel, all in good health.

30 May 1868
Court of Common Pleas, Westminster, May 29
Re. Appleton Stephenson, an Attorney
In this case a rule had been obtained calling upon Mr.Appleton Stephenson, an attorney practising
at Whitby, in Yorkshire, to show cause why he should not be struck off the roll of attorneys of 
this court for breach of trust and dishonest practices as such attorney.
Mr.A.L.Smith showed cause against the rule; and Mr.Murray appeared to support it.
It appeared from the affidavits on which the rule was obtained, and which were of considerable 
length, that one William Hill, deceased. late of Whitby, by his will left 9,000 personal estate,
in trust for various parties, and that Mr.Appleton Stephenson was made the acting trustee under
the will. From the affidavit of Mr.Stephen Wharton it appeared that in 1866 Mr.Appleton Stephenson 
was in difficulties attempting to pass through the Bankruptcy Court, and it then appeared that he
had misappropriated no less a sum than 4664 of the trust moneys of the late Mr.Hill's will, under 
various pretexts of advncing them on mortgages, without notice to the parties beneficially interested,
and that he had appropriated this sum to his own use. It further appeared on other affidavits that, 
on further inquiries being made in consequence of this discovery, he had in a similar manner
appropriated to his own use a sum of 490 belonging to a Mrs.Belsey; that he had put into his own
pocket and spent a sum of 500 intrusted to him to invest on mortgage by a Mr.Dale, a farmer in
Yorkshire, and also a further sum of 200, in a similar manner, intrusted to him to invest belonging
to a Mr.Wakefield.
Mr.A.L.Smith having showed cause on affidavits in answer.
The Lord Chief Justice, without calling on Mr.Murray to support the rule, proceeded to give judgement.
He said that it was a very lamentable thing that a person who had filled an honourable position in
society should have placed himself in the position in which Mr.Stephenson now stood. On these
affidavits he could come to no other conclusion than that Mr.Stephenson had grossly abused the 
confidence of his clients - not in a single instance, but in many, and had attempted to conceal his
conduct by a system of apparent but worthless securities. His affidavits in explanation were very
unsatisfactory; and his attempts to disguise some of the facts were too transparent, and left the
charge unanswered that he had appropriated his clients' moneys to his own use......
(the final judgement was that he be struck off the roll)

11 August 1868
The Archbishop of York re-opened the church of St.Michael, York, after its restoration, on 26 July;
he opened the church of East Acklam on 28 July, after its rebuilding; he preached at the recently
restored and rebuilt church at Womersley on 30 July; he opened the rebuilt church at Castleford on
31 July; he preached at the newly rebuilt Kildale church on 3 August; he opened the new church at
Saltburn-by-the-Sea on 5 August; he laid the foundation stone of the new church at North Ormsby on
5 August; he laid the foundation stone of the new church at Ruswarp on 6 August.

5 December 1868
Church Restoration in Yorkshire
The ancient church of St.Hilda, at Egton, near Whitby, has fallen into a state of decay and complete
dilapidation. During 700 years it has been uninterruptedly used for Divine worship, but its condition
is now so unsafe that at any moment it may fall into a mere ruin. The Roman Catholics have recently 
erected a large chapel and great exertions are being made to extend Roman Catholic interests among
the people. The newly appointed vicar (the Rev. J.Fish, so many years the chaplain and superintendent
of the Castle Howard Reformatory), is anxious to set up schools and rebuild the church. The parishioners
are nearly all poor persons, and the peculiar circumstances under which the land is held - most of it
being in Chancery and the remainder inthe hands of Roman Catholic owners - make it impossible to hope
for aid from the proprietors.

7 October 1869
A letter from "ALPHA" to the Times contrasts the "gay life" of Scarborough with the wonderful "demure"
life of Whitby ! Too long to transcribe but I have a copy if required. It makes interesting reading !

7 February 1870
Saving Life from Shipwreck
A meeting of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution was held on Thursday, at its house, John-street,
Adelphi; Mr.Thomas Chapman, F.R.S., V.P., in the chair........ A new lifeboat and transporting carriage
had recently been forwarded to Whitby.......

5 March 1870
The schooner Hippogriff, Miller master, of Whitby, was totally lost on the Scroby Sands, near Great 
Yarmouth, yesterday, and it is feared that all the crew perished. A boat and medicine chest was washed

16 June 1870
Incorporated Law Society
Easter Term, 1870
The examiners also certified that the folowing candidates, under the age of 26, whose names are placed
in alphabetical order, passed examinations which entitle them to commendation: - James Frankland, who
served his clerkship to Messrs. Gray and Pannett, of Whitby, and Messrs. Bell, Brodrick and Gray, of

25 October 1870
The Volunteers - In Yorkshire the annual gunnery competition has been held at Scarborough for Lady
Middleton's Challenge Cup, by the various batteries comprising the 1st East Yorks. Brigade of Artillery
Volunteers. The competitors were inspected by Colonel Windle, of the Royal Horse Artillery, who was 
well satisfied. The range was 1,500 yards, and the cup was won by the Hornsea Detachment (5th East
Yorks.), who scored 72 points. Flamoborough and Whitby Corps each tied with 65, in 13 and a quarter
minutes, for second place. The principal competitors making highest scores were Sergeant Stubbs, Whitby,
4, 38 points; Lieutenant Eldridge, Hornsea; Gunner Bexton, Hornsea, and Gunner T.Clarke, York, each 36,
2 each; Sergeant S.Long, Filey, and Gunner S.Bailey, Flamborough, each 33 points. 

9 December 1870
Midland Circuit, York, Dec.7 charge of manslaughter against two men named Hutchinson and Smith. It is stated that they were
look-out mem on board a steamer which ran into a small fishing boat near Whitby, thereby causing the
death of John Dawson.

16 December 1870
Great Landslip - At Whitby yesterday a large part of the cliff and 12 houses slipped into the harbour.
One half of Henrietta-street is in ruins. Harland's clay pipe manufactory is destroyed. Late last night 
all danger was not considered at an end, especially if the rains and floods continued. No lives were 
lost. The landslip is said to be the largest ever known in England.

19 December 1870
The Landslip at Whitby - The landslip which occurred on the East Cliff, Whitby, on Thursday morning, has
caused great destruction of property. Fortunately, warning was given to the residents of the houses under
the cliff, or to such of them as had not retired to bed, by the cracking of ceilings and walls, that some
serious event was happening. This was about 11 o'clock the previous night, and doubtless led to the saving
of whatever property was movable, and prevented loss of life. The alarm spread from house to house, and by
moonlight the people set about removing their property. The land upon which the houses were built had burst
at the bottom and slipped away to the harbour, while part of the churchyard and the field above also came 
down to the extent of a quarter of an acre, and pressed on the houses in the rear, twisting, destroying, 
or variously breaking them in. The mass was in motion all Thursday, and large fissures give indication of
still further destruction. The field between the churchyard and the cliff end has fallen considerably. The
extent of damage cannot be fixed, and it seems probable that more destruction is imminent. The footpath 
and rail on the top of the cliff were yesterday settling, and were said to be 20 feet below their former
position. The pipe manufactory of Mr.Harland and his house are in ruins. About a dozen other houses are so
far destroyed as to be untenantable. The Spa ladder, which gave access to the East Pier, now stands bolt
upright. It is 83 years ago since a similar disaster occurred.

2 January 1871
We have received intelligence from Rouen today that the Prussians have seized a seventh English ship, the
Sylph, of Whitby, Captain Ramsdale. She was lying at the quay at Rouen on the 24th inst., when she was
boarded, her crew forced ashore, and she was towed away by a steamer down the river. In all seven cases
the captains protested energetically against the seizure. Each captain was required to name the value of
his vessel, and the sum named was endorsed on a document in German, which was handed to him, and which 
was taken under protest and lodged at the Vice-Consulate. The acting Vice-Consul has been called upon to 
pay for lodgingsand food for the seven crews and for the means of conveying them to Dieppe.

9 March 1871
Some time ago a company was formed to build iron steamers to trade between Whitby, Pickering, Malton the
north, and London, in opposition to the North Eastern Railway . The first vessel of the intended new fleet,
the Captain Cook, arrived at Whitby (after having had to put back to repair a cylinder) on Tuesday afternoon
and was welcomed by a large crowd. Although built for the London trade, her first voyage will be to France. 
she is built to carry 350 tons of coal, and is commanded by Mr.James Ainslie, of the old Shipping Company.

21 September 1871
Ecclesiastical Preferments
Rev.R.A.White, B.A., curate of St.Michael's, Whitby, [to be] vicar of West Teignmouth

8 December 1871
Shipping Disasters
From Whitby, December 7, Mr.G.W.Smales reports that a strong gale of wind, accompanied
by a heavy sea, came on suddenly yesterday afternoon, and six of the fishing cobles 
belonging to this port, each containing three men, were overtaken by the storm. On their
perilous position being observed, the Whitby No.1 lifeboat, the Robert Whitworth, and also
the No.2 lifeboat, both of which belong to the National Lifeboat Institution, were launched.
The first-named boat saved 12 men, forming the crews of four cobles, the remaining six men
being rescued by the other lifeboat. The six cobles were afterwards washed onto the beach
in a very damaged state, most of their gear and all of their fish being lost.

24 June 1872
Fell Engines - On Friday and Saturday last a series of trials was held at Goathland, near
Whitby, of one of the novel locomotive engines constructed by Messrs. Manning, Wardle, and
Co., of Leeds, on Mr.Fell's central rail principle, for Dr.Pinto, the contractor for the
extension of the Cantogallo Railway in Brazil......

9 July 1872
Mountain Railways - The Fell centre-rail engine, intended for Brazil, to work inclines of
1 in 12 on the Cantogallo Railway, after being tested for several weeks on the old Whitby
incline in Goathland, has been reloaded on the North-Eastern 30-ton truck, and removed in
charge of Mr.Laws, North-Eastern superinterndent at Whitby, and of the makers, Messrs.
Manning, Wardle and Co., Leeds. The experiments have been a wonderful success, the engine,
with load attached, having worked curves of 1 in 10 gradient.

7 September 1872
Bathing Accidents
Letter to the Editor
Sir,- The entire absence of any appliances for the rescue of bathers at Whitby, who may
from heedlesness or other causes require assistance, prompts me to crave your powerful aid
to effect a remedy. Within the last five weeks four bathers have narrowly escaped a watery
grave, while within the same period one bather and a fisherman have perished. Yesterday 
morning, shortly before 12 o'clock, those who were enjoying the fine air on the pier and
sands were startled by one of the men in attendance on the machines galloping along the
sands shouting "A man drowning !" so as to attract the attention of some men in fishing
boats half a mile off. Confusion reigned supreme. There was the poor fellow struggling in
the water, getting gradually weaker, women screaming, men running to and fro to look for
ropes which did not exist, and the boats, heavily laden with fishing gear, making but slow
progress towards him. Happily the receding tide landed the bather on a sand-bank, whence
he was enabled to regain the shore before the boats arrived. It is almost incredible that
on a dangerous beach like this no provision should be made for the safety of the bathers.
A man stationed on the beach during the bathing hours, provided with lines similar to those
used by the Humane Society's men when there is skating on the Serpentine, would afford some
protection at a small expense. As an instance how things are managed here, on Friday week,
when the poor fisherman was drowned by the upsetting of a boat between the pier heads, there
was no life-buoy or lines available on the West Pier.
I remain, Sir, your obedient servant,
A Visitor
Esplanade, Whitby, Sept.5

9 September 1872
Letter to the Editor
Sir, - Your correspondent "a Visitor", gives a true and graphic account in The Times of 
today of the narrow escape from drowning of a gentleman bathing at Whitby, and justly
complains of the insufficiency of the provision made at that place for the safety of
bathers. It may add force to his remonstrances, and will certianly interest readers of the
Times in every part of the world to learn that the life which was so nearly lost on 4th
inst. at Whitby was that of one of the most remarkable men of genius produced by this
country in the present century, being no other than that of Philip James Bailey, author
of that wonderful poem Festus, which has gone through eight or ten editions in this country,
and circulated to a far larger extent still in the United States ofAmerica. I saw Mr.Bailey
at Scarborough two days after the accident, and learnt from his own lips how certain his
end seemed to be, and how very narrow his escape was. ...
(The letter goes on about how wonderful Festus and Mr.Bailey were !)
I remain, Sir, your obedient servant
Kirk Ella, near Hull, Sept.7

23 September 1872
Jewelry at the International Exhibition
......But let us take the collection in the order of its arrangement, beginning with Messrs.
Saunders and Shepherd's cases in the roomnearest to the Albert Hall. Here are shown
specimens of black jet from Whitby Cliffs, also a selection of ornaments manufactured this 
year and in 1857, since which date jet jewelry has lost a good deal of its clumsiness and
heaviness. But there seems still plenty of room for improvement. Another case of the same
by Messrs. Bryan, also of Whitby, shows more of an artistic feeling and touch in some 
carved crosses and heads and wreaths. John Ward shows some jewelry struck out in dies, and
a contrivance for fixing the earring so that it cannot drop out of the ear......
(the remainder of the report does not refer to Jet or to Whitby)

5 December 1872
Disasters at Sea
Early yesterday morning the scew steamer Nellie, belonging to Whitby, from Newport,
bound for Liban, laden with railway iron, was assisted into Dover harbour, with her 
bows stove in, and having sustained other injuries. She had been in collision off
Dungeness with a bark (name unknown). Subjoined is the Captain's (Pierson) official

25 December 1872
The Floods
Whitby, Dec.23
The damage done by the floods in this locality is very excessive, and the like has
not occurred here for many years. Extensive tracts of valuable low-lying land are,
and have been for many weeks, submeged with water, making farming operations 
literally impossible. Some portions of the cliffs immediately adjoining the North-
Eastern Railway Company's line have given way, impeding the railway traffic, both
passenger and goods. Other portions threaten to fall, and a constant watch day and
night has to be kept. Runswick, a small fishing town about seven or eight miles
north of this town, has suffered immensely by the copious downpours of rain. The 
greater portion of the village is built in the cliff side, and several tons of 
earth have fallen, covering, to a depth of 12 ft, the public roads. A great many
of the houses have been cracked from top to bottom, and are giving way, so that 
the families living in about a dozen of them have been obliged to desert them. 
Staithes, another fishing village, Port Mulgrave, and many other places, have also
been much injured. The line of railway now being constructed between Whitby and
Lofthouse has been greatly injured. Large masses of earth have fallen in many places,
whilst in others there are large lakes of water which cannot be got rid of. The work
is, therefore, much impeded, and, the opening of the line will be delayed.

25 February 1873
Diocese of York
The Rev. George Cockburn Dickinson to the curacy of Whitby.

24 April 1873
Mr.Plimsoll's Bill
Yesterday afternoon a very crowded meeting, principally of shipowners and maritime
insurance managers, was held at the Talbot Hotel, Whitby, to take into consideration
the effects of Mr.Plimsoll's Bill. Mr.Thomas Turnbull, an owner and builder of ships
and screw steamers, was in the chair. Addressing the meeting, he said he had been 
engaged in shipping during the whole of his life. having served as an apprentice to
the building of ships, then become a shipmaster, and latterly a builder of wooden
ships and iron screws. He therefore felt the deepest interest in the question which 
Mr.Plimsoll had brought so prominently before the country. He had not read the book
himself, but he had learnt enough from the extracts in the newspapers to give him a 
good idea of what it was like; and he had no hesitation in saying that Mr.Plimsoll
was dealing with the subject without due knowledge of it. The letters in the Shipping
Gazette from Mr.J.W. Mitchell showed on what a loose foundation many of his remarks 
were based. The staements of Mr.Plimsoll were those of a mere fanatic, and they should
be exposed to the shipowners and the people of the country. (applause)
Mr.Robert Harrowing, of the firm of Messrs, Harrowing and Co., the well known ship-
owners, submitted the first resolution, which was "that this meeting, while admitting
the desirability of further provision for preventing the overloading of ships and for
the survey of unclassed ships, is of the opinion that legislation should be deferred
until the report of the Royal Commission which has been appointed shall be made, and
the present unnatural and feverish excitement which has been created on the subject 
shall have abated" (he continued by going into some detail). Mr.C.Harrison seconded 
the motion, which was carried enthusiastically.

Mr.Bedlington, shipowner and maritime insurance manager, then proposed the following
resolution, which being seconded by Mr.Marwood, was carried unanimously; "That any
legislation should be preceded by the most careful investigation and the best 
scientific and practical evidence, in order that no injustice may be done by adopting
a hard and fast load-line, applicable to vessels of every description, and other
objectionable penal provisions such as are contained in Mr.Plimsoll's Bill, and which,
if they become law, will bring absolute and immediate ruin on a very large number of
British shipowners, and will prevent a considerable proportion of the remainder from
working their ships to any advantage whatever" A petition embodying the resolution
was read and extensively signed. It was resolved to send it to Mr.W.H.Gladstone, the 
borough member, for presentation to Parliament, with the request that it be read by 
the Clerk at the table. The meeting, after being addressed by various other gentlemen,
was brought to an end by a vote of thanks to the Chairman.

12 August 1873
Lost at Sea -
Yesterday, intelligence was received of the loss of the brig Gratitude, of Whitby, at
Pitten, near the port of Nieuwe-diep. The master, Mr.Stephen Hodgson, his wife, one
daughter aged 14 years, and two sons aged 11 and 3 respectively, and six of the crew 
were drowned. Only one personm whose name is John Magrath, was saved. The ill fated
vessel was 198 tons register, and was bound from London to Nieuwe-diep, with a cargo of
cement. She was insured and belonged to Mr. William Baxter, Park-terrace, Whitby.

16 September 1873
The Church
Ernest Wigram, M.A., to the rectory of Whitby, vacant by the death of William Keane,

26 September 1873
Saving Life
[The Royal Humane Society awarded its bronze medal] to George Carter, for saving Mary 
H.Pinkney, who fell into 13 ft. of water at Whitby.

18 October 1873
A telegram from Whitby says:- "A landslip has occurred on Whitby East Cliff, which is
precipitous and at a great height above the sea. A narrow footpath, railed off from the
fields, leading southwards, and not far from the churchyard , runs along the edge of the
cliff overlooking the sea, and a rugged scar beneath a large piece of earth projected 
over the the cliff, apparently safe enough, but really insecure, as it had been under-
mined. The cliff at this part of the coast has been crumbling away for some time, and the
destructive landslip which occurred three years ago was near this point. A gentleman was
crossing the projecting edge, which probably loosened it, and he had only just passed over
it when it broke off from the cliff and the rubbish fell on to the scar beneath" - Pall 
Mall Gazette

28 October 1873
Whitby - It is stated that Mr.George Elliott, M.P. for the Northern Division of Durham, 
intends to contest Whitby at the next election in opposition to the sitting member, Mr.
W.H.Gladstone, the eldest son of the Premier. Mr.Elliott possesses great local interest
and influence, having recently purchased one of the largest estates in the neighbourhood,
which he has publicly intimated his intention to improve.

8 November 1873
Court for Divorce and Matrimonial Causes
Royston v Royston
The petitioner married the respondent, who was a publican at Hull, in September, 1864.
He deserted her in 1869, and he has since lived with another woman at Whitby. 
Decree nisi, with costs.

10 November 1873
The Harbour of Whitby - The port of Whitby has undergone during the past week a 
professional survey under the superintendence of Mr.Abernethy, C.E. of London, at the
instance of Mr.George Eliot, M.P. for North Durham. The hon. gentleman has had a plan 
prepared showing by what means the harbour and its approaches can be improved. The
plan, which embraces extensive alterations, at a cost of 105, 600 has been approved 
by the local authorities, and an early application to Parliament for the necessary 
authority will be made by Mr.Elliott.

20 November 1873
[The Royal Humane Society awarded the bronze medallion] to William Moat, for saving 
William Austin, who fell into the sea in 10ft. of water, at Whitby, on the 15th ult.

24 November 1873
Whitby, 22nd - Several vessels have arrived at this port for their winter repairs, 
so that the dockyards are now fairly employed. Other vessels are expected, and there
is a probability that trade, in the ship repairing line at least, will be brisk. New
orders for the building of iron steamers have been received which are likely to occupy 
the builders for some time. There continues to be a good demand for the superior class
of jet ornaments.

1 December 1873
Whitby, 29th - There is a slight falling off in the arrivals of vessels at this port,
owing to the bad weather which has prevailed on this coast during the greater part of
the week. The docks are in full activity, and there is reason to expect that the ship
carpenters and labourers will be fairly employed throughout the whole of the winter. 
The iron shipbuilding trade is brisk. The jet trade is fairly healthy. The work in 
connexion with the new railway line now being built between Whitby and Lofthouse, in
Cleveland, makes very slow progress, and the directors of the company have expressed
great dissatisfaction.

22 December 1873
Whitby, 20th - Trade generally is pretty brisk, especially the iron shipbuilding and
repairing trades. The Whitby Dock scheme is advancing favourably. The capital of the
company is fixed at 90,000. in 4,500 shares of 20 each. The North-Eastern Railway 
may have not more than half the number, with power to elect two directors. The scheme
has met with the approval of most of the land and property owners, and the promoters
express themselves sanguine that they will be enabled to secure all the powers sought

23 February 1874
Whitby, 21st - The arrivals at this port during the present week have been compara-
tively few, and very little trade has been done at the port. The jet trade, which has
been depressed for several months, is somewhat reviving. The demand for high-class
ornaments is improving, and there is a probability that it will continue to do so 
for some time. The shipbuilding and repairing trades are very brisk.

4 May 1874
Apprehended Wrecks 
For the information of the Board of Trade I herewith enclose a copy of a letter on 
the above subject, addressed to the Commissary of Maritime Inscription opf Brest -
I am etc. Harry Rainals. To the Assistant Secretary, Marine Department, Board of
Trade. There seems to be little hope that the three Whitby ships, the Louisa, the
Helen, and the Maria, will ever be heard of again. They left Shields for the Baltic
in the middle of the month of March last, and it is feared that they were lost 
during the terrible gales which prevailed towards the end of the month. The whole
of the ships were commanded by Whitby men and their crews were composed chiefly of
seamen belonging to the locality, except in the case of the Helen, the greater part 
of whose crew were shipped at one of the northern ports. The Louisa was owned by
Mr.Isaac Gale, the Helen owned by Mr.Thomas Smailes, and the Maria was owned by 
Messrs. Storm and Bedlington, of Robin Hood's Bay. The vessels were insured in the 
local clubs. 

20 July 1874
Whitby, 18th - Trade generally is improving in this district. There is a better
demand for jet ornaments than has been felt for many months past, while the
fisheries are exceedingly prosperous. The shipbuilding trade continues good.

27 July 1874
Whitby, 25th - Business of all kinds is improving. The fishing trade especially 
is flourishing, and there are all indications of a good season.

25 August 1874
Fatal Bathing Accident - Ayoung gentleman named Clowes, belonging to Holloway, London
was drowned on Whitby Sands early on Saturday morning while bathing. He was about 24 
or 25 years of age. His body was not recovered until evening, when it was dived for
by a friend of his in 10 or 12 feet of water. 

29 August 1874
A letter to the editor from Frank Clowes, brother of J.L.Clowes, who is referred to
above. I will not transcribe the letter but it brings up again the lack of safety
arrangements for bathers at Whitby. It refers to the fact that the particular part
of the beach concerned appears to be safe because it slopes gently into the sea, but
it is known locally that there are currents that can cause problems for bathers. On 
the day in question three other bathers had also had difficulties but had been more
fortunate. He says that the Coroner had informed him that he had, himself, lost his
son and a near relative in the same area. He says that people who saw his brother 
drown had said that if there had been a rope, life-buoy or boat on hand. He suggests
that there should be a caution sign and that a boat should patrol the area during 
bathing hours. There had been a boat for a short time but it had stopped because there
were insufficient subscriptions to pay a boatman. He suggests that bathers be charged
a small fee to pay for a boat.

14 September 1874
Whitby, 12th - The various fisheries which are carried on extensively at this port
continue to be very productive. During the past week herrings have been sold as low
as 15s per last of at least 10,000 fish. The iron shipbuilding trade is brisk, and
several new orders have come to hand. The jet ornmaent trade is good.

2 November 1874
Whitby, 31st - Owing to the prevailing dullness in the iron and coal trades in the 
north country the shipping trade is correspondingly dull. It is expected that most of
the vessels now on their voyages home will lie up for the winter months rather than
accept the low rate of freight that now prevails.

16 January 1875
Supposed Disaster at Sea - There is too much reason to fear that the fine screw steamer 
Alice of Whitby, has foundered, and that her crew, consisting of 20 or upwards, have 
perished. The Alice left the port of Cardiff on the 5th ult. with a cargo, bound for Constantinople. She was detained for a few days at Lundy Island through stress of weather
but she afterwards prceeded on her voyage, and was never heard of again, except, as is
supposed, by the steamship Hibernia. The captain of the Hibernia reports that when off
Ushant, bearing west-north-west 65 miles, on December 11, at noon, he passed a screw 
steamer with black funnel, schooner rigged, with head of foresail blowing away. She did
not appear to be deeply laden, but at the time it was blowing a heavy gale, with a trem-
endous sea. Twenty minutes afterwards the steamer suddenly disappeared, and it is supposed
she foundered at that time. The Hibernia, disabled herself and having great difficulty in 
keeping to sea, could not render any assistance. The Alice was quite a new ship, having
been built by Messrs. Turnbull and Son about a year ago. She was owned by Messrs. James 
Gray and Co., and was insured. She was commanded by Captain W.Miller, of Whitby.

19 January 1875
Lost at sea - Hopes as to the safety of the screw steamer Alice, of Whitby, which left 
Cardiff for Constantinople on the 5th December last, are now abandoned. The vessel was 
laden, and is supposed to have foundered with all hands off Ushant on the 11th. The 
following is a list of the crew shipped on board, together with their respective ages
and places of birth - 
William Miller, captain, 32, Whitby
David Walters, 36, Leith
John Sheer, 30, Dartmouth
Nicholo Barlare, 25, Trieste
Samuel Weeks, 50, Devon 
Antonio Jourich, 43, Trieste
Edward John Shean, 29, Weymouth
Thomas Rutter, 29, Newcastle
William Mitchell, 34, Aberdeen
John Colman, 26, Louth
Thomas Marrion, 31, Isle of Wight
William Moore, 32, Cork
Terence Magan, 24, Cork
Andrea Kenteta, 33, Trieste
Charles Hodges, 23, Bristol
James Griffiths, 30, Bristol
Richard Copp, 30, Bridgeford
Henry Petty, 26, Cushingdall
Robert Stewart, 30, of Sydney, United States, also joined the ship, but he left by mutual
consent. A seaman named Bernard Dunn, 34, Liverpool, deserted shortly before the steamer
left Cardiff. The Alice was a vessel of 620 tons registered, and 99 horse power. She
belonged to Messrs. James Gray and Co., Whitby, and was built two or three years ago by
Messrs. Turnbull and Son, of the same place.

26 April 1875
Whitby, 24th - There have been alarge number of arrivals of fishing craft at this port during
the past week, and thequantities of fish imported are enormous. The fish is of splendid quality
and has realized capital prices. The jet ornament trade is somewhat reviving, but the iron
shipbuilding trade contnues to be rather dull.

21 July 1875
The fatal accident reported in the Times of yesterday did not occur at Whitby but at Whitley, 
near North Shields. A correspondent at Whitby telegraphs that the boatman at Whitby is in
constant attendance during the bathing hours, either in the boat, or on the Whitby sands, with
cork jackets, lifebuoys, lines, and every other appliance for the rescue of bathers in case of
(It seems the message eventually got home !!)

19 August 1875
Ecclesiastical Preferments
Rev.Arhur Kaye, M.A., curate of Whitby, vicar of St.Paul's, Middlesbrough

30 October 1875
Whitby, Oct.29th
Yesterday evening a fishing coble called Welcome Home was returning to theport with a cargo of
fish on board, and when a little to the south of Whitby rock buoy, which is about a mile off
the port, she was caught by a heavy sea which upset her. The mishap was witnessed by a large 
number of people on shore, and efforts were imediayely made to render assistance. The steamboat
Emarn happened to be at sea, and the master promptly bore down to the rescue. On arriving at the
scene, however, only one man, named John Bunyan, was afloat, and he was clinging tenaciously to
a spar belonging to the sunken boat. The rest of the crew, Robert Bewick and Francis Beswick, had
sunk with the coble. Both men were married, the latter leaving, besides his widow, a family of 
six children. Bunyan, when picked up by the steamboat was in a most exhausted state, and it was
not until after several hours of careful and unremitting attention that animation was restored.

15 November 1875
Whitby, 13th - In this neighbourhood business of all kinds is in a depressed state. In the iron
shipbuilding thee is little doing, only one ship being on the stocks. The jet ornament trade, 
in which there was some improvement a few weeks ago, is again very dull. There has been little
or nothing doing in shipping matters.

22 November 1875
Whitby, Nov.20
Some of the vessels have broken from their moorings, but no serious damage has resulted. Several
ships were sighted off the port yesterday, and all of them bore evident signs of distress. Many
pieces of wreck have been picked up. Telegraphic intelligence has been received of the total loss
of the brig Elizabeth, of this port, and all her crew, except the master, Mr.Andrew Gatent. A
good deal of anxiety prevails with regard to the safety of other vessels hailing from here.

6 December 1875
Whitby, 4th 
All kinds of business here continue to be in a depressed state. In the jet ornament manufactories
many of the hands have been suspended, owing to the scarcity of orders. The iron shipbuilding 
trade also is dull, but in this respect Whitby suffers no worse than any of the neighbouring ports.
In the fisheries there has been very little doing, owing to the bad weather which has for many weeks
prevailed on this coast.

31 January 1876
Whitby, 29th
Several large vessels have arrived here recently for repairs, and the dockyards are now busily 
engaged. The iron shipbuilding trade shows signs of improvement. The jet ornament trade continues
to be depressed.

6 April 1876
Collision at Sea
Plymouth, April 5
The screw steamship John Boyle, Captain Bowen, belonging to Messs. Marychurch and Co., of Cardiff,
from Shields with coal for Gibraltar, and the Emma Lawson, Captain Letbe, of Whitby, belonging to
Thomas Turnbull, from Alexandria with cotton-seed for Hull, were in collision at 6.30 pm yesterday
50 miles south-west of the Start. The Emma Lawson ran into the John Boyle on the starboard side,
and cut her down so severely that she foundered within a quarter of an hour. The Emma Lawson had
her port bow crushed in, but was kept afloat by her having a watertight collision bulkhead just
abaft the damage. The John Boyle's crew, 20 in all, climbed on board the Emma Lawson, and were
by her brought in here at an early hour this morning.

11 January 1877
Whitby, Jan.10 - The Argenoria, ketch, from Hartlepool for Whitby with coal stranded on Whitby 
sands early this morning. The Harriet Forteath, National Lifeboat, put off, but capsized; righted
again, and washed ashore; coxswain and two others of the crew drowned, the straps of their cork
jackets having given way; the remainder of the boat's crew saved; crew of the Agenoria, three in
number, saved by rocket apparatus.

12 January 1877
A diligent search has been made along the coast near Whitby for the bodies of the men who were
drowned yesterday morning in the capsizing of the lifeboat during their gallant attempt to save
the lives of the crew of the vessel Argenoria, stranded on this coast, but the search has proved
entirely futile. The authorities of the National Lifeboat Institution have telegraphed through
their local secretary, Mr.G.W.Smails, the sincere sympathy with the poor widows and orphans of
those who have been lost. The institution have promptly despatched Admiral Robertson MacDonald
to make a full and searching inquiry into the circumstances attending the catastrophe and such
inquiry will be held tomorrow morning. The most serious questions are whether the bands or cords
by which the cork jackets were fastened to the bodies of the lifeboat crew were really rotten,
and, if so, by what means and through whose neglect, and whether the boat could make a reasonable
resistance to the power of the waves. An appeal will be made to the public to establish a fund
for the relief of the widows and orphans, who are unprovided for. On the last occasion of the
upsetting of a lifeboat at Whitby. the 9th of February 1861, no fewer than 12 out of 13 of the 
crew were drowned and an appeal was then made to the public. The Times opened its columns, and
through that source alone 1,000 or 2,000 was contributed. The National Lifeboat Institution
has decided to subscribe 250 in aid of the local subscription. We are informed that the lifebelts
which the men wore were nearly new, having only been supplied last November, and the supposition,
therfore, is that the men who perished, in their anxiety to take their places in the lifeboat,
had failed to tie properly the strings of their belts. Notwithstanding the peril and exposure
incurred by the crews last year, only one life was lost from the 256 lifeboats of the Institution
although about 12,000 men were out in them on all occasions during that period. The coast boatmen
and fishermen have now such confidence in the self-righting lifeboats of the institution that 
they sometimes, notwithstanding the darkness of the night and the severity of the weather, rush
down in large numbers to take their places in the boats, and thus occasionally neglect to tie on
with care the lifebelts. The local secretary at Whitby attaches no blame either to the crew or 
to the lifeboat on this occasion. In conclusion it may be added that this very lifeboat had
previously gallantly rescued 34 distressed sailors and fishermen from different wrecks.

16 January 1877
Yesterday a Coroner's inquest was held on the body of John Thompson, one of the crew drowned by
the upsetting of the Harriott Forteath lifeboat at Whitby, belonging to the National Lifeboat
Institution. onsiderable importance was attached to the result of the inquiry, for it had been
broadly asserted in some quarters that not only was the boat unsuitable to the coast, but that
the lifebelts supplied to the men were in an improper state. From the evidence of the second
coxswain of the lifeboat and of other practical men, it appeared that all the crew had the most
ample confidence in the capabilities of the boat, and distinctly asserted that they would 
willingly go out in her again should the occasion require. The boat was struck by a wave right
at her stern, and upset nearly end over end. The wave was of such power that no boat could have
recovered from it. With respect to the belts, the witnesses stated that they had all been thor-
oughly tested by Rear-Admiral Robertson Macdonald as late as September or October last, and
they could not account for the weakness of the strings by which the belts were fastened to their
bodies, except by the severe strain put upon them while the crew were being pulled into the boat,
and the long continued dampness of the atmosphere. In summing up the Coroner said that, so far 
as the evidence went, no blame attached itself to anybody, and certainly not to the lifeboat
authorities. A verdict in accordance with the evidence was returned.

22 February 1877
Yesterday Lloyd's Committee posted the screw steamer James Mason as missing - that is, lost with 
all hands. The inquiries of the previous week have produced no response. It will be remembered 
that she sailed from Cardiff with a cargo of coals for Gibraltar, and she has not been seen since.
She was a steamer of 870 tons gross, 99 nominal horse-power, built at Middlesbrough in 1872,
classed 100 A1 at Lloyds, and owned by Messrs. Dixon and Harris of London. She was worth about
18,000 and her cargo about 1,200.
(then follows a list of the missing crew which includes
David Chapman, 36, Whitby, steward)

10 April 1877  
Information was yesterday received of the probable loss of the British bark 
North Wind. It appears that the vessel has gone ashore at Pensacola in a bad 
position, and is likely to become a total wreck. The North Wind sailed from 
Bristol on the 9th of February for Pensacola with a mixed cargo, and as no 
information has yet been received of her arrival it is presumed that she had
her outward cargo on board. She is a wooden bark of 783 tons, and was yellow
metalled in 1874. She was built at Quebec in 1865, and was classed A1 at Lloyds
for seven years, continued for five years more at the expiration of that term.
Her owner is Mr.B.Pearson, of Whitby.

16 April 1877
Whitby, 14th
There has been a little improvement in the jet ornament trade during the past week,
but it yet remains in an unsatisfactory state. The dockyards are nearly all empty,
but the trade in shipbuilding is good, and to-day a fine iron screw steamer has
been launched. Other trades dull.

30 April 1877
Whitby, 28th
There have been few arrivals of vessels at this port during the past week, and the
shipping trade generally is dull. The dockyards are a little more actively employed,
but there are still large numbers of workmen out of employment.

14 May 1877
Whitby, 12th
The iron shipbuilding trade here is uncommonly brisk. The large orders which were
on hand before the outbreak of the war are being as rapidly executed as possible,
and these orders have been supplemented by others. The dockyards are little occupied
and many carpenters are out of employment. The jet ornament trade is as dull as ever.

4 June 1877
Whitby, 2nd
The herring fishing season here has commenced, but so far has proved unsatisfactory.
The fish is small and of poor quality. The jet ornament trade continues depressed,
but the iro shipbuilding tade is quite brisk, and there is more activity in the 

25 June 1877
Whitby, 23rd
The fisheries have been tolerably productive during the past week, a circumstance
which has occasioned a diminution of prices. The iron shipbuilding trade is brisk.
The work in connection with the West Cliff improvement scheme does not progress
very satisfatorily.

15 December 1877
Wreck Commissioner's Court
This inquiry was held at Liverpool. Captain Jones and Captain Grant, R.N., were
the Assessors. The Kate was an iron screw steamer, owned in Whitby by Mr.Robert
Harrowing and Mrs.Annie Thomas, Mr.Robert Harrowing being the managing owner. She
foundered in the Baltic on a voyage from Barrow with railway iron.
(The Commisioner's judgement was that the ship was too heavily loaded - her
registered tonnage was 627, but she ha 1,015 tons of steel rail on board plus
187 tons of coal. Loads up to 33% over registered tonnage were considered 
acceptable, but the Kate was loaded 60% over. The ship was insured for 14,000
but her value, taking account of the fact that she was built in 1871 at a cost 
of 17,000, was now around 12,000, therefore, the owners had sustained no loss.)

7 January 1878
A noble service was performed at Whitby on Saturday night, by the Robert Whitworth
lifeboat, belonging to the National Lifeboat Institution. During very thick weather 
the screw steamer Oscar. belonging to the London and Edinburgh Steam Shipping Co.,
went ashore off Whitby. Her signals of distress having been observed, the crew of
the lifeboat at once assembled, manned, and launched her. She soon reached the 
wreck, took on board all hands - 22 persons in all - and brought them safely ashore.

5 February 1878
A noteworthy landslip has occurred on the coast, about half a mile north of Whitby.
A fine headland, forming one of the most prominent features of the scenery in that
locality, is thus destroyed. The causes are said to have been defective drainage and
the action of the sea.

25 February 1878
Whitby, 23rd
Trade generally is exceptionally dull, and in the jet ornament trade all the manufact-
ories are working short time. The iron building trade is good.

18 March 1878
Whitby, 16th
Trade is dull, and a good deal of distress prevails among the working classes. The only
industries which seem to thrice are the fisheries and iron shipbuilding.

15 July 1878
Drowned - Off Whitby yesterday, while the pilot coble Hilda No.4 belonging to Messrs.
Gray and Cass, was proceeding to pilot in the Whitby and London trader Lady Hilda,
screw steamer, she was caught by a heavy sea and filled. Gray was drowned and Cass
nearly so; the latter received a deep wound on the head, and his brother, who was
in the coble, narrowly escaped drowning. The body was recovered.

18 July 1878
Probate, Divorce, and Admiralty Division, July 17
Longhorn v Longhorn and Fletcher
Mr.C.J.Tarring appeared for the petitioner
The petitioner, a grocer, married the respondent on the 25th of May, 1869, at Whitby,
where they lived todether. In the latter end of last year the petitioner spoke to his
wife as to her intimacy with the co-respondent, a fishmonger, who frequented the 
petitioner's smoke room, adjoining his shop, and at Christmas last the wife left her
husband on a visit to her mother and had since lived with the co-respondent as his
Decree nisi, with costs

25 July 1878
Disaster at Sea
A telegram has been received at West Hartlepool, stating that the Whitby trader 
Willing Mind was wrecked during Tuesday night, on her passage from West Hartlepool
to Whitby, off Kettleness, and that, althought the crew were saved, Captain Peart
was unfortunately drowned.

9 September 1878
Whitby, 7th
The favourable weather during this past week has enabled all the fishing craft to 
leave the port every night. About 200 boats are employed here, and the "takes"
during the past week have ranged from 2,000 to 40,000 herrings per boat. The 
average price is 2s6d per 100.

18 October 1878
Fatal Accident
Early yesterday morning Mr.George Agar, proprietor of the Whitby Summer Tea Gardens
was killed while engaged at the top of a high chimney in Messrs. Turnbull's shipyard.
He had contracted to remove the chimney, and while so occupied he seems to have 
overbalanced himself, for he fell backwards down to the ground, and was killed on
the spot.

24 October 1878
The Collision on the Thames
The Board of Trade inquiry into the loss of the Princess Alice by collision with
the Bywell Castle was yesterday resumed at the Board of Trade Court, Poplar, before
Mr.Balguy, the stipendiary magistrate, appointed to be Judge in this investigation,
with Captain Forster, R.N., and Mr.Ravenhill, C.E., as assessors.
(this was a long and detailed report which, in general, had no connection with
Whitby, except that one of the witnesses was Nathan Hewson, master of the brig, Maria
of Whitby, which picked up 13 people involved in the collision)

23 December 1878
Whitby, 21st
During the week there has been a steady demand for jet ornaments, the better class
of goods being most in request. The iron shipbuilding tade is brisk, and the yards 
are fairly employed.

22 March 1879
The crew, consisting of six hands, belonging to the George, which went ashore near
Whitby, and who were missing on Thursday, have landed safely at Staithes, near Whitby.
They saved themselves by their boats.

7 April 1879
Whitby, 5th
The catches of fish have been large and the prices good. The iron shipbuilding trade 
conttinues in a flourishing state, and there is a slight improvement in the jet
ornament trade.

9 April 1879
High Court of Justice, April 8th
Collingridge v Ahier
The plaintiffs, Messrs. W.H. and L.Collingridge, publishers of the Rock (newspaper), 
brought this action against the Rev. Philip Ahier, vicar of Glaisdale, Yorkshire, to
recover damages for slander spoken at the Glaisdale Church Institute on September 25
last, and for libel in much the same terms published a day or two afterwards in two
Whitby newspapers. At the conclusion of the first lecture in the Autumn of last year
at the institute the defendant, who presided, had said "he thanked all those who had
sent him newspapers for the reading-room with the exception of those who had sent him
the Rock and the Police News. He dared not say which of these two had the highest
moral tone. He did not think that either was fit to be seen on the tables of any
respectable society, whether public or private". These words, which were those also 
printed in the Whitby Times and the Whitby Gazette, charged the plaintiffs, as they
contended, with publishing and putting into circulation literature of an immoral, 
depraving, and pernicious character. The defendant admitted the publication of the
words as set forth in the statement of claim , but denied that those spoken by him
on the occasion were in the same terms. He further pleaded that those used were 
spoken in good faith and without malice, and that he had reasonable grounds for
believing them to be true; and also that the occasion on which they were spoken and
published were privileged. The plaintiffs' case was closed early in this morning, 
and Mr.Day having briefly opened the case for the defence, the defendant, the Rev.
Philip Ahier, went into the witness box and gave evidence that he had been for three
years vicar of Glaisdale, to which he had been presented by the Archbishop of York.
He said he was opposed to Ritualistic practices and belonged to the Broad Church party,
if to any. (the vicar went on to explain that he considered the Rock to be a coarse,
vulgar and sensational paper, he was convinced that it was an unsuitable paper to be
put in the hands of young people and he had said so.  - it seems, though, that this 
case was all about church politics, and the differences between the views of the
Broad Church and the High Church eg confession etc. not about an immoral publication
as we would know it today. The case was won by the plaintiffs and damages of 25 were

6 September 1879
Information was received in Whitby on Thursday, of the loss by drowning of three of
the crew of the full-rigged ship Contest, hailing from London, but owned by Mr.B.
Pearson, Lorne-villas, Whitby. The captain (Mr.Thomas James) reports that while
rounding the Cape of Good Hope, on the 2nd of July last, on his passage from Bombay
to London, four of his crew were washed overboard from the jib-boom, and that three
of them were drowned and one saved. Among the drowned was Richard Dillon, an 
apprentice, belonging to Whitby.

8 September 1879
Maritime Enquiry
A Court of Inquiry has been held at New York into the stranding of the steamship
Lizzie, of Whitby, at Bridgehampton, Long Island, on the morning of the 1st of
August, while on her voyage from New York to London with a cargo of grain, flour,
and cattle. The Court found that the master, Edward Gillings, showed a deplorable
carelessness as to the interests of his owners and underwriters, and therefore
severely reprimanded him. The conduct of the second mate, George Levack, in having
altered the course of the vessel without informing the master, and in keeping the
latter in ignorance of the state of the weather and of the vessel's proximity to
the coast, was also highly reprehensible, and the Court suspended his certificate
for three months.

13 October 1879
Captain Cook 
Sir George Elliot, M.P. for North Durham, has signified his intention to dedicate
a piece of land on his estate, West Cliff, Whitby, to the public, and erect thereon
a monument to Captain Cook, the circumnavigator. Captain Cook spent several years
of his early life at the fishing village of Staithes, a few miles to the north of
the port of Whitby. In later years he sailed from the harbour of Whitby, and it is
an historical fact that in undertaking his adventurous voyages round the world he
preferred the vessels which were built at Whitby by Whitby men. The site chosen by
Sir George Elliot for the erection of the monument to the illustrious circum-
navigator is one of the most prominent on the hon. baronet's estate. It commands 
an uninterrupted view of the German Ocean, of the coast scenery both north and 
south, of the romantic Abbey ruins on the opposite side of the harbour, and of the 
vale of the Esk.

10 November 1879
Whitby, 7th
The jet ornament trade - once the staple industry of the town - shows signs of 
considerable improvement. A large number of the manufactories are busily employed, 
many substantial orders having been received for shipment to America.

3 December 1879
Consecration of a church
The Archbishop of York on Monday afternoon consecrated a new church at Egton, near 
Whitby. The church, which has cost over 5,000 is the gift of Messrs. Foster, Brothers,
of Halifax, Bradford, and Whitby, and the style of architecture is a mixture of the
Tudor and Norman.

5 December 1879
Whitby, Dec. 4
The frost here is as intense as ever. All the ponds in the neighbourhood are frozen,
and skating is becoming general. The dam, to, is frozen, a circumstance of very rare
occurrence. To-day thee was another heavy fall of snow. All outdoor labour is rendered
impossible, and should the bad weather continue great distress will be felt in this
locality, where so many hundreds are engaged in railway works.

20 December 1879
Early yesterday morning a fire broke out in a block of buildings on the New Quay, Whitby.
The whole of the upper portions of the buildings were utterly destroyed, together with
a large quantity of manufactured jet ornaments. In the centre story of the building there
were some valuable machinery and fittings, and also some rough jet, which were destroyed.
On the ground floor, occupied as a guano warehouse, considerable damage was done, princip-
ally by the action of the water. It was several hours before the fore was subdued. The
premises were insured.

Go to the Index page to Times Extracts about Whitby
Go to my Main Site Homepage