Murkon's Refuge Variations
One nice thing about Murkon's Refuge is that when you've beaten it under normal conditions, you can challenge yourself by varying the way you play. The only thing is, people have to take your word for it that that's what you did. Maybe somebody'll rectify that someday. Anyway, this page exists to give you ideas of things you can do to alter your game. Pick and choose at will; nothing of any importance says that you have to do them all at once.
- Play with less than a full party. Be aware that this gives you fewer slots for your "key" items. Also, it makes it easier for your entire party to be wiped out. Additionally, with a one-character party, AWAKE and RESURRECT become useless, and HEALTH becomes practically the same as RESTORE except that you use 33 more SP to cast it, so it's not wise to use it unless you're in a tight spot and just don't have RESTORE.
- Play a "No Spellcasters" game. Have no class that casts spells. Any magic such as light, teleportation, healing, or attack will have to be done by invokeables. Of course, you might want to...
- Play a "No Invokeables" game. You either drop them on the spot or sell them as soon as you get back to town.
- Play "Naked". This doesn't mean that you play without your clothes on, it means that your characters don't wear any of the five types of armor. They use spells, invokeables, or the innate AC increasing that comes with Druids and Assassins.
- Play "Bare-Fisted". Don't equip any weapons; sell or drop them.
- Play "Fetch the Key". Instead of "key"-ping the keys, drop or sell them after use, and fetch them again when you want to pass the locked spots.