COMPLETE THE SCENE--STEELE’S BIRTH CERTIFICATE

By: Christy Pryor (set-up only)

E-mail: HPryor@aol.com

First printed: More Red Holt Steele #2

Summary: Steele gets to see his birth certificate.

Disclaimer: This “Remington Steele” story is not-for-profit and is purely for entertainment purposes. The author and this site do not own the characters and are in no way affiliated with “Remington Steele,” the actors, their agents, the producers, MTM Productions, the NBC Television Network or any station or network carrying the show in syndication, or anyone in the industry.

-------------------------------

Location: The driveway of Ashford Castle.

Laura, Remington and Mildred are preparing to return to Los Angeles for the second time in over six months.

They'd returned to Dublin to finalize all of the paperwork on the transfer of ownership of the castle. Remington had deeded the castle to the servants in a last ditch effort to avoid having to pay off the castle's vast amount of debts.

Also outside, all of the servants, including Mickleen, the chief of staff, are lined up to bid farewell to the three detectives.

MICKLEEN

We all wanted to thank Your Lordship for his generousness. This castle is home to many of us here, and we were afraid that we would be forced to leave soon.

REMINGTON

Well, Mickleen, we were happy to do it. Besides, I'm a detective not an Irish lord.

(He leans in close to Mickleen, whispering in his ear)

At least that's what my wife says.

Laura, who had come up behind him, lays a hand on his shoulder.

LAURA

What was that?

REMINGTON

(a beat) Ah...nothing, nothing at all...

(clasping Mickleen's hand) Well, Mickleen, it's been a pleasure.

MICKLEEN

It's been our pleasure, your lordship. And whenever any of you are ever in Dublin again, you have an open invitation to stay here.

MILDRED

Me, too?

Mickleen smiles at Mildred, and gives her a quick hug.

MICKLEEN

Of course, Mildred. You still owe me some dance lessons. The other servants want me to teach them.

Everyone laughs as the trio climbs into the car.

MICKLEEN

Oh, your lordship!

Remington stops halfway into the car.

MICKLEEN

I almost forgot...

Mickleen dashes over to the car, waving an envelope.

REMINGTON

What's this?

MICKLEEN

I'm not sure, Your Lordship. Bridgette found it when she was packing up Mr. Chalmers' things a few months ago. It's addressed to you.

Remington's eyes never leave the envelope as he grasps it.

REMINGTON

(swallowing) Um...thank you, Mickleen.

He climbs in to the car, signaling the driver to leave.

LAURA

Are you okay?

REMINGTON

I think so. (a beat) Actually, I don't know.

Laura reaches over, taking hold of his hand. She raises it it to her lips, brushing a quick kiss over it.

Letting go of her hand, Remington puts his arm around her shoulders, and pulls her close to him.

MILDRED

Are you going to read it boss?

REMINGTON

Not just yet. I need to work up the courage, I think.

Several hours later as the plane prepares to land, we see Remington just staring at the envelope.

LAURA

You know, you've been staring at that envelope almost the entire way home. Pretty soon you're going to burn a hole in it. Would you like for me to read it first?

REMINGTON

No, I'll read it.

He picks up the envelope and breaks the seal. From inside he pulls out two pieces of paper and reads them.

LAURA

(seeing a look of shock on his face) What is it? Are you all right?

REMINGTON

(a large grin spreads across his face) It's my birth certificate.

-------------------

END???