On-Line NFL Pool
NFL Fight Songs
"The Cardinal" Bio
The Playoff Race
- - - - - With first place still on the line, the Arizona Cardinals showed that they were up to the task, matching the Seahawks physically for four quarters. However, it was seemingly the mental aspect where the Cardinals failed, and fell 28-21 in a contest that was there for the taking.
- - - - - Dre Kirkpatrick's foolish penalty on what would have been a fourth down situation is an obvious place to start. Yet, I suspect Seattle would have attempted to get the first down, and statistically would have gotten it, so perhaps that wasn't quite the turning point. More frustrating was the Cardinals' inability, yet again, to secure an important first down on short yardage near the end of the first half. Instead of keeping alive a drive near midfield, Arizona came up short on second down, over-thought the play call on third losing several yards, and allowed Seattle to extend the lead going into halftime after an interference call (fortunately only costing three points).
- - - - - Then, after clawing back to within two points, a series of penalties deep in our own territory (an easily avoidable grounding call followed by a holding call at the worst possible moment) gave up another two points plus the free kick, ultimately extending the deficit to seven. The Cardinals would have one final push for a chance to tie, but squandered two downs on deep throws when there was ample opportunity to chew up further yardage and clock. The fourth down effort resulted in a sack thereby ending the threat and the contest.
NEXT WEEK, @ NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: The injury to Kyler Murray's shoulder undoubtedly limited the playbook, with the absence of his running threat factoring heavily into the second-half gameplan. Even with the better roster, Kingsbury and company need to be wary of their opponent this weekend, as getting out-coached again could realistically drop the Cardinals out of the playoff picture in a hurry. My prediction, Cards win, 24-22.
TWENTY-FIFTH SEASON UNDERWAY
- - - - - As you've probably already noticed, "The Cardinal's" Nest, the Internet's longest-running website dedicated to the Arizona Cardinals, has
undergone a few changes over the years as we embark on our 25th season. This newer setup will hopefully make it easier for you, the fans, to navigate
these pages. After all, isn't life already hard enough being a Cardinals fan?
- - - - - The bar at the left will contain the links to the other pages on this site, including icons for some of the larger features.
Meanwhile, play in my 24th-annual On-Line NFL Pool has begun and the Chicago Cardinals Photo
Album, featuring photos and other game memorabilia from the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s has opened. Also, check out the
"Arizona Sports Fans" Message Board. As always, if you have any
suggestions, comments, or questions, please feel free to send me E-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org;
I always enjoy hearing from Cardinals fans around the country and the world.