OHA Niagara District Junior C Hockey Club




Monday, January 18th, 2010

'Gades win twice

There's a simple method to picking which Woodstock Renegades will participate in the shootout.

Coaches Bill McLeod, Bob Langdon and Keli Corpse each choose a player for the three rounds.

Sunday night it was McLeod's choice who came through. The Renegades' boss picked second-year forward Brandon Zimmerman and the 17-year-old delivered, wiring a snap shot over the glove of New Hamburg Firebirds' goalie Corey Moore.

It was the first of two Renegades' shootout goals as Woodstock won 3-2. New Hamburg was threatening to leave Southwood Arena with four points after Blake Jordan scored the only goal to complete the Dec. 29 game that was suspended when linesman Kevin Brown suffered a freak injury.

The remaining 11: 22 was completed prior to Sunday's regularly scheduled game.

"You don't want a team to come in and steal four points in your barn in one night," Zimmerman said. "That's just bad."

It looked like Moore was going to steal the game for New Hamburg as he turned away several quality chances in the third period and overtime.

After a scoreless first round of the shootout, Zimmerman picked up speed coming into the New Hamburg zone and made no mistake putting the puck under the crossbar.

"I just knew what I was going to do the whole way down," he said. "I didn't even throw my hands up. I was just relieved we were up on them."

Spencer Sweazy and Christian Babb scored for Woodstock in regulation. Mike Pleon and Brock Yantzi replied for New Hamburg (14-17-1).

Woodstock took four of six points over the weekend and improved to 16-12-4. With four games remaining, the Renegades need one win to clinch third place in the Niagara west division.

Friday against Paris, the Renegades held off a third-period comeback and scored three unanswered goals in the last 10 minutes of a 7-3 win.

Tyler Labadie had a pair of goals in the victory. Jordan Minello, Devon Young, Zimmerman and Shane Reinhart also scored.


(Source Sentinel-Review)