Tuesday, January 25th, 2011


Navy Vets drop sixth straight


SIMCOE -- The Woodstock Navy Vets' struggles is weekend.

The Niagara West Division's sixth-place team watched its losing streak dip to six games following a pair of losses to New Hamburg and Simcoe.

Sunday at Talbot Gardens, the Navy Vets fell 7-3 to the hometown Storm. Simcoe received a three-goal performance from centre Corey Bethune, while recent addition Curtis Campbell of Brantford scored on his first two shots of the game. Pat Fergus also chipped in a pair of goals and added two assists.

Coach Paul Jones praised his players for their unselfish play.

"We have a lot of good individual hockey players, but we are playing more of a team game now," said Jones. "Less is more . . . less by yourself."

Woodstock's Derek Cowing built on his outstanding rookie season with two goals and an assist. The 17-year-old from Innerkip now has a team-high 21 tallies and 39 points. Mackenzie Langford also scored for the Navy Vets (7-23-4), who will finish in last place thanks to their recent slide.

Simcoe led 3-2 after the fist period and took a 4-3 lead into the third. Bethune blew the game open with a natural hat trick in the final frame. Neil Pittock made 29 saves Woodstock, while former Woodstock Renegade Alex Gegeny stopped 23 of 26 shots for Simcoe.

If Norwich and New Hamburg take first-round byes, the Navy Vets and Storm could meet in the first round of the playoffs.

"I really hope we get Simcoe in the first round because we can beat them," Woodstock head coach Jeff Morrison said. "For as much talent as they have in the dressing room, they have no coaching. We beat them before and we can outcoach them.

"We just went flat tonight."

Friday at Southwood Arena, the Navy Vets power play came up short and cost them in a 5-2 loss to New Hamburg. Woodstock went 0-for-8 with the man advantage, including a two-man advantage after scoring twice in the third period to pull within a goal.

Then, with the score still 3-2 late in the third, the Navy Vets allowed a shorthanded goal while New Hamburg's Brendan Lynch served four-minutes for high sticking.

After a scoreless first period, Damien Parent, Mike D'Alosio and Brandon Yantzi scored to give the Firebirds a 3-0 lead.

Chase Thornton started the Woodstock rally 16 seconds into the third period with his 17th goal. Cowing scored at 5:55 to make it 3-2. Jay D'Aguilar scored the Firebirds' shorthanded goal that killed Woodstock's comeback. Yantzi added his second goal with four seconds remaining.

Pittock made 26 saves for Woodstock. New Hamburg goalie Corey Moore stopped 31 of 33 shots.

-- With files from Daniel Pearce