Re: [PROTEL EDA USERS]:More trouble with P99SESP5 and gerber read back

<x-flowed>
At 12:40 AM 10/18/00 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:

>Well, a pad master is not really a PC board layer, it is just a drawing.

Drawing isn't the best word, but yes. And, in fact, Protel's "padmaster" is
not really a padmaster.

>I turn all these unneeded plots off to reduce confusion.

Absolutely a good idea.

However, I have found one use for the top and bottom padmasters: In making
an assembly drawing, I write gerber for, say, the top overlay and top
padmaster. Then I bring these gerbers back in to the mechanical layer I am
using for the assembly drawing. The padmaster includes only component pads,
whether they be surface mount or through-hole. Thus the pads together with
the overlay usually make a good picture of the components, much better than
one will get from the overlay alone.

This film is not what we used to call a padmaster -- which goes back to the
days of tape and mylar --, because the old padmasters also included vias.

Padmasters were used, sometimes, for bombsighting as well as to generate
solder masks, but the primary usage for me, as a designer, was in creating
overlay artwork: I would make a mylar layer with all the component and via
pads, and then add other layers as needed for top and bottom or inner layer
traces. Thus the pads on all layers would register perfectly. (the various
mylar layers were pin-registered). This process was called "Padmaster
artwork," and, believe it or not, right up until the arrival of CAD, there
were designers who refused to use the technique, instead doing what they
had done for years: making separate artworks for each layer; while one
could use register pins with such separate artworks, at one place I worked
the designers refused to even use pins when I gave them pins. They would
align the layers with targets each time they worked with them. After a few
changes it was impossible to get good register on anything, and I found
that there were problems in assembly with bad solder masks resulting from
all this sloppiness.

I did not invent padmaster artwork, but I did start using the technique
before I learned that others were doing the same. I had been a printer and
graphic artist, and printers also had a need for good layer register; the
register pins I bought were made for use in the graphic arts.

marjan@vom.com
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690
El Verano, CA 95433