Re: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Displaced Schematic Symbols

Me too!

    I believe that one in an earlier version of Protel, earlier then 99, you
were one able to manually configure the position of the part labels within
the library editors.  Now I have a lot of well done components with the
labels defaulted where I want which I imported into 99SE which insert
beautifully by default and all my new components I make now don't have their
labels in the right place by default.  I wish I remembered which version of
protel allowed this since I would probably need to search through 4 years of
protel CDs...

Here is my example workaround for PCB component designators:

Right after initially updating your PCB for the first time, you can try the
following:

Step 1: select 1 0805 component, change it's coordinates to x 100, y 100,
select global & select match by same footprint.

Now all the 0805 parts are in the same place.

Step 2: select 1 0805 component again, select designator, change x to 90 & y
to 80 (example coordinates), select a new font size & width, select global
and match by x & y coordinates.

Now all the designators are on top of the components depending on the
package type.

Step 3: optionally hide the part description from all the components.

After you done this for your numerous troublesome components, like in my
case 0805, 0603, & all the tantalum caps, you can retile & auto place all
the components on the board where all the designators for your changed
footprints are in your favorite spot.  Mine is right over the middle of the
components, I use transparent layers and my silk layer is really dimly lit,
and then I move the labels after I complete most of the board.

Hope this might help some streamline their design,
    Brian.