[PROTEL EDA USERS]: PCB Power Print Server quirks

Here's a couple of things which I have noticed in recent times, while using
the PCB Power Print Server to produce printouts from a PCB file (using
Protel 99 SE (SP5) with Windows 98 (original version)):

1. If I use the (default) menu entry of 'Tools/Create Final' to create a set
of final artwork Printouts, then a Printout is not created for printing the
KeepOut layer.

As things go, this is not an especially big deal, as it is not too difficult
to add another Printout to the set of Printouts created, and then edit the
properties of this as appropriate (if you do want a printout of this layer).
But it still seems to be an oversight on Protel's behalf for all that.

2. It is possible to resequence the order of Printouts, and this is a
desirable feature to have, as the order of Printouts determines the order in
which these will be printed. What I have found though is that if you
resequence the Printouts and then print all of these (to an Acrobat file or
presumably to a real printer), then the Printouts will be printed in the
*previously* defined sequence, *unless* you have saved the Power Printer
Definition file, closed it, and then re-opened it again, *before* initiating
the print command.

Again, a workaround exists; as I have alluded to, re-sequence the Printouts
as desired, make any other changes desired, save the Power Printer
Definition file, close it, re-open it, and then initiate printing. But once
again, it would be good if Protel could take a look at this aspect.

Regards,
Geoff Harland.
E-Mail Disclaimer