Study the human pedigree below showing individuals affected by a genetic disorder, and answer the questions.
1. Does the pedigree show the phenotypes or genotypes of individuals?
2. Is the abnormal condition above dominant or recessive? Explain.
Geneticists are often called upon to solve mysteries. Using genetic clues, give a possible solution for each of the problems below.
Problem: Four newborn babies in the delivery room of the local hospital were mixed up by the person who typed the wristbands. The blood types of the four babies were known to be AB, O, A, and B. How did the doctors eventually find out which baby belongs to which set of parents?
Parents #1 had blood types O and AB.
Parents #2 had blood types AB and B.
Parents #3 both had blood type O.
Parents #4 had blood types A and O.
Match the babies with the correct parents
3. Baby with type AB blood __________________________________
4. Baby with type B blood __________________________________
5. Baby with type A blood __________________________________
6. Baby with type O blood __________________________________
Underline the correct response.
7. If a colorblind man marries a woman who is a carrier for
colorblindness, it is most probable that:
a. all of their sons will have normal vision
b. half of their sons will be colorblind
c. all of their sons will be colorblind
d. none of their children will have normal color vision
filled the diverse environmental niches on the different galapagos
islands. The filling of these environmental niches is known as:
a. acquired characteristics
b. blending inheritance
c. common ancestry
d. adaptive radiation
9. In the early stages of development, the embryos of birds and reptiles
resemble each other in many ways. This resemblance suggests that
a. belong to the same speices
b. are adapted for life in the same habitat
c. share a common ancestry
d. are both animal-like protists
10. In addition to the basic ideas of Darwin, the modern theory of
evolution includes the concepts that
a. variations are the result of mutations and gene recombinations
b. overproduction of organisms leads to extinction
c. variations exist only in large populations
d. competition occurs only between members of the same species
Each of the following statements contains an underlined word or phrase that makes the statement false. On the blank, write the word or phrase that will make the statement true.
1. a. Monerans are eukaryotes and have no membrane-bond organelles.
b. The two types of cell extensions are cilia and flagella. _______________
c. The drug tetracycline stops the formation of a rigid cell wall.
2. List four evolutionary adaptations in bacteria that have allowed them
to survive for billions of years and expand into multiple habitats.
3. Match the description or definition with the correct term.
a. botulism b. decomposer c. facultative anaerobe d. endospore
e. chemosynthesis f. obligate aerobe
______ an organism that breaks down organic matter
______ a bacterium that must have free oxygen to live
______ a deadly form of food poisoning
______ a structure resistant to adverse environmental factors
______ a bacterium that does not use oxygen during respiration
List and explain three (3) ways in which bacteria exchange genetic
7. What is an extremophile? Are all archaea extremophiles? ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________