Now Playing: Le Tigre--"Les and Ray"
My hangover is dying down, there's a beautiful day outside for me to grab by the tail, and I'm still not sure what "crunk" means.
Last night, Dustin Krcatovich, lord and master of Actual Birds, hosted a benefit for the famine in Darfur at Black Elk Co-op. I'd been looking forward to this show, mainly due to its killer lineup--Matt Jones and Chris Bathgate were playing, as was the divine Kelly Caldwell (all were fantastic--I have Banner of a Hundred Hearts to remind me of the latter, but I always forget how good the first two are until I hear them again). I'd heard them all before, but the hiphop group Seven Chakraz and Dustin's "crunk" act Brain Shake would be new to me.
For some reason, my usual method of recounting the events of that evening in a linear prose fashion seems like it won't fit.
(1) Hanging out and chatting with Annie, Brandon, and Dustin.
(2) Meeting and chatting with Matt Jones, Chris Bathgate, Ana, Alana, Andy, Sarah, Isaac, Jensen, Wes, and a couple of other people whose names escape me.
(3) Dancing my ass off, first to Seven Chakraz (and lifting a 40 when bidden), and then to a whole host of albums spun, I believe, by Dustin towards the end of the evening.
(4) Running into and dancing with Karen from the Fleetwood, who lives at the Co-op, and finally meeting Becca, the lovely Village Corner manager.
(5) Breaking down and smoking one of Matt's cigarettes.
(6) Laughing. A lot. Like I was high or something (which I wasn't).
(7) Discussing movies at some point--Bad Lieutenant (1992), Fingers (1977), and Fando and Lis (1967--?) all came up. I've never seen the last one, but it was apparently Alejandro Jodorowsky's first feature, and I've been told by more than one person that I need to see El Topo (1971).
(8) Getting lost in the green mansions north of Burns Park amid a delicious summer evening--I've suffered worse fates.
(9) Working a tambourine while on the couch (the first time I've ever done so with any intention of maintaining a beat) and yelling "dance, whores, dance!!" to Karen, Wes, and that guy I spoke with whose name I don't remember (if you're reading this, which I doubt, you have my apologies).
(10) Quaking in wonder at Black Elk's well-equipped kitchen.
(11) Affirming, with Brandon, Dustin, and others, the greatness of old Dylan (after I woke up this morning, I listened to WCSX on the radio and heard "Desolation Road").
(12) Telling Kelly Caldwell anew how much I love her music.
(13) Waking up this morning with a hangover, but with the windows open, an early breeze coursing down Geddes Ave., and Springsteen's "Meeting By The River" on my stereo. I didn't mind the pain one bit.
(14) Being unexpectedly impressed by Seven Chakraz--Ian's a born showman and Nikki's voice is amazing (and she looked strangely familiar--happens a lot in this town).
(15) Breathing a lot. And I mean that.
I hope everyone else's weekend is turning out as pleasantly as mine.