Take Chess Poll
The present day institution known as Cass Technical High School has been in existence in some form since 1861. Cass Union School was established to provide training in woodworking and metal trades for young males. The school was built on land given to the City of Detroit by former Secretary of State and Michigan Governor, Lewis Cass. The donated land formed a triangle at Second Avenue, Grand River Avenue, and High Street West. Dedicated and hard-working students, faculty, and staff have perpetuated excellence at Cass from the very beginning. How advanced was the Cass Curricula? In 1918, student enrollment was 1,400 even though the physical building was designed for 700 students. There were another 400 hopefuls on a waiting list! To alleviate overcrowding, students who had completed two years of industrial training at Cass were asked to leave and find jobs. The local community recognized how valuable an individual was who had been trained at the big Cass Tech. In 1918, Ford Motor Company requested that the school hold classes outside of regular school hours so that their employees might have access to the industrial training facilities at Cass! In the 1920's, local hospitals sent their nurses to Cass for special courses in chemistry, bacteriology, biology, and dietetics. The demand for printing classes was so great that classes were held six days a week! In 1958, there was consideration of changing Cass to a technical junior college. By 1970. there was concern over the condition of the school building. It was feared that the building would be allowed to deteriorate beyond repair, and that the school and its curriculum would be eliminated. Modernization of the school began in 1981 and was completed in 1985. The new wing includes a gymnasium which seats about band/orchestra rooms, a harp room, several instrumental rooms, music classrooms, recital hall and practice room. The new wing provides an enclosed lunchroom on the second floor which holds 700 students. Also, the business wing classrooms were renovated.