1 pound of Mozzarella Curd
A dash of Mahleb (Middle-Eastern Spice) (see note below)
Black Caraway Seeds
A dash of Salt
- Place cheese curd in a saucepan and add a dash of mahleb and salt and a sprinkling of black seeds. Heat on low until the cheese is melted thoroughly. Remove from heat and drain any excess water.
- Pick up the hot cheese in a lump, and make a hole in the center to resemble a doughnut.
- With both hands, stretch and turn the cheese to form a large loop. Double the strand of cheese, making two strands of cheese of even length. Repeat, stretching and looping; (the more you stretch the stringier the cheese becomes). Repeat the stretching several times. Twist the ends in opposite directions and intertwine rope into a braid. Place one end through the loop of the other to lock it.
- Set the cheese aside to dry thoroughly. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate or freeze it.
- To serve, open braid, cut one loop and pull the cheese apart into thin strands.
Note: Mahleb can be found at specialty food shops that sell Middle Eastern ingredients.