Chapter 5

Like a rock, you waited so patiently…

"How did you rope me into this?" Tana asked as they walked down the red carpet and into the MGM Grand.

"Cuz you're too nice to say no and leave a guy like me alone."

"I'll have to work on that."

[To make a long, rather boring story short, the Boys won awards for Album & Artist of the Year. They accepted them… yada yada yada.]

They arrived at an after-party around 10. Alex and Tana found a table right away and claimed it before the club got over-crowded.

I can't believe I finally got her to go out with me, Alex thought as they sat down.

Finally, Tana thought, A chance to just have a guy friend. She was happy to free be from Jake. They had been together since Tana had been 14, and breaking up had left her doubting the male species. To be with AJ, who just wanted a friend (or so she thought)… It was great.

After awhile of just sitting and talking at the table, Alex and Tana decided to go dance. "Bailamos" was playing when they went out, but the song quickly ended, leaving Tana and Alex dancing to "I'll Never Break Your Heart."

"Alex," Tana asked, "Is this one of your songs?"

"Yeah."

"I like it. It's really got a cool story or message or whatever."

"Yeah," he laughed, "Nicky used it once to try to get a girl. Let's just say she wasn't a fan."

"Poor guy. Which one's Nick?"

Alex was amazed that she didn't know, but pointed Nick out.

"I don't see how any girl could turn down a kid after that. It's such a beautiful song."

"Well," Alex joked, "Sometimes it takes more than a song to get Nick a date."

"Alex!" she scolded, "That's mean. Besides, I think he's kinda cute."

"You do, do you? And what about me?"

"Well, you're, uh… interesting. But I've sworn off dating anyway."

"Oh," Alex said, a little confused. It took him a second to realize that she saw this night as a favor to a dateless friend, nothing more. "So," he said cautiously, "This guy must've hurt you pretty bad."

"Yeah," she affirmed. "We were together for 7 years, since I was 14. But for the last year or so, it was all fighting. We both knew the end was near, but it was still hard. I don't know how to move on. But I think your being here is helping a lot."

"Yeah," Alex mumbled under his breath, "I'm helping." Why do you do this, McLean, he asked himself. She's great and she needs you. Be there for her. But at the same time, he was wishing he could be more to her than just a pal. Just give it time. She'll calm down, and when she does, you'll bet there.

And so they danced. Tana was content for once, and Alex was trying to be.

Chapter 6

If You Only Knew
Fan Fic
The Wild Blue Yonder