Chapter 2

When I asked you out… (You said no)

A week later…

Tana was finally feeling up to going out. She had spent the last week in a world of ice cream and depressing movies. She was on her way to meet Christine and their friend Jen for a movie when the phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hi, I'm looking for Tana."

"This is she."

"Oh," the guy on the phone said, "You sound a lot different."

"Who is this?"

"Oh, sorry. This is A… um, Alex."

"Oh, hi! I probably do sound different now that I'm not in tears."

"So, you're doing better, then?"

"Much, thank you for your help."

"No problem. What are you doing today?"

"I'm going to see a movie with my cousin and our friend."

"Oh, well I guess you don't want to go to Planet Hollywood with me, then."

"Not today, thanx."

"Do you wanna do something some other time?"

Only then did Tana realize that Alex was trying to ask her out. Quite frankly, it scared her a lot. She approached the subject with caution. "Alex, I don't know what you're getting at. I mean, I'd love to be friends. But I just… and Jake… and I hardly know-" Finally, she heard Alex chuckling on the other end of the line.

"You're too funny," he said, trying to think of a way to save his pride. "I mean, no guy in his right mind would turn you down, but that's not what I was getting at. I just wanna be a friend. Nice save.

"Oh," Tana said, a little embarrassed. "Well, then do you wanna come with me to a concert next weekend? I was supposed to go with Jake, but…"

"I can see how that would be frustrating. I'd love to come."

"The show is on Friday at 7 at the Old Arena."

"Then I'll come get you at 5:30. Where's your house?"

Tana gave him directions, then they hung up.

Alex set down the receiver and sighed. Why do I always fall for the girls I can't have? Atleast I get to go to a concert with her, even if she sees me as no more than a friend. Then it struck him that he didn't even know who he was going to see.

But he didn't have time to give it another moment's thought. As always, he was late for rehearsal.



Chapter 3

If You Only Knew
FanFic
The Wild Blue Yonder