This battery was named n GO 63, May 12, 1919, in honor of Col Elmer J. Wallace Coast Artillery Corps, who died at Somlly France November 5, 1918, as a result of wounds received at Fransvaal Ferme, France, Oct 29th 1918, while on duty with the 57th Artillery, C.A.C.
This battery was armed with 2-12-inch B.L..Gun, Model 1895M1 no 61 and 75, manufactured by Watervliet Arsenal. The distance between the guns was 420 feet. Originally # 68 was installed, but was damaged during proof firing in 1928 and was replaced with #75 in 1929. The guns cost $50,000.00, and weighted 144700 lbs and had a range of 29,300 yards and there were 34 manufactured.. This was one of the few batteries that had spare tubes, Model 1895 MIA-2 # 44 and 63.
These gun's were mounted on a Barbette carriage Model # 1917 nos. 2 & 3, later changed to a 1919 MI, which was a high elevation, carriage, that did not need a hoist like most of the Barbette carriages to do the loading. These were manufactured by the Watertown Arsenal and it also had the longest range of all the batteries at Fort Barry, (29,300). The carriage cost $42,800.00. There were 32 built: Original emplacements: 22 US, 8 Terr, 6 relocations Time of emplacements: 1917-1922, relocations 1940-1943 Number of Bolts:12 inner, 24 outer Circle Diameter: 12' 1" inner 17' 0.5" outer.
The following information on the Gun Model 1895M1 #61 and 75
Emplacement # 1 the reference height of the crest 239.2= and Emplacement #2=239.7 above mean low water.
Gun #1 Model 1895M1 Serial #61 was mounted and emplaced 1918 under the supervision of the Ordnance Dept, the limits of elevation of gun as mounted and emplaced was 15o and the depression was. and the number of shots fired were 181.
Gun #2 Model 1895M1 Serial #75 was mounted and emplaced in 1918 under the supervision of the Ordnance Dept. The limits of elevation of gun as mounted and emplaced was 15o and the depression was. and the number of shots fired were 220.
The movement of ammunition must be very rapid and it is the duty of the Engineer Department to so design it emplacement that each and every step of the ammunition service may be performed with such speed that the ammunition can be carried to the breech of the gun at least as rapidly as it can be loaded into the gun and fired; The projectile are stored in rows and the shells were stacked in two rows down the middle of the shell room, the shell for these gun weighted 2,400 lbs. There were trolley rails fastened to the ceilings over the center of gravity of the shells in each row, the form of trolley used in this battery was a simple I beam attached to the ceiling by bolts throughout an upper flange, this form consisted of a pair of wheels running on the lower flange on either side of the beam and held together by a U-shaped yoke hanging down under the beam, the wheels were in tandem, was used in the battery. This trolley system had switches so that trolley may be sent over either one of two alternative routes, with theses switches the main track extended from casemate 1 through the main corridor to casemate 2, with a side track to each of the shell rooms. A second overhead track extended from the shell room to the corresponding gun that the served. The switches were so arranged that the hoist could operate between any one of the shell rooms and either gun or between shell rooms. The switches were hand operated from overhead chains. It was desired that the chain hoists should be storied in the shell room when not in use. The ammunition supply for this battery was stored in the shell room which was 10' x 101', and two were 13' X 32' (there were 3 of them) and held 210, in each room. The size of the powder magazine was 12'-6" X 50' (there was four), and had a 12' X 68', and held 243 in each room, there were Gallery on the sides of the Shell and Powder Rooms, with a long gallery 14'-6" X 128' across the back of them, in between the two small powder rooms was the Power Room which was 16' X 31', and inside it was a small Radiator Room.. The battle allowance for this battery was 300, and it's war reserve was 400. The shell and powder were located between the two guns, there roofs had 11 feet of concrete, and in addition, not less that 5 feet of earth. Larger amounts could be put in the shell and power rooms, by stacking higher or closer together. The Yale-Towne block and the Ordnance shell tongs which were the standards in most of the batteries of the SFHD.
As far as Powder Service, the powder was shipped to the battery in metal cases and stored in racks, that they were shipped in, in most cases, there ends projecting into the passageway. When a cartridge was desired the solder strip was to be pulled of without moving the cartridge case from the rack, this loosens the top of the case and the cartridge is then pulled out, leaving the case still fastened in it proper place. All the powder is know carried in a handbarrow, by four men.
December 1915 the Board of Review decided to submit an estimate for this battery in 1917, and it was allotted $214,158.00.
Construction of this battery started in 1917, with the clearing and grading of the site, they used steam shovel, plow and scrapers, so the excavation could start, with the removal of 31244 cu. yds. of sand and dirt (21,038 for gun plugs, 19,400 for magazines & service rooms, 55 splinter proof, 217 for guard room), as this was being done the forms were started where the excavation was finished. On the timber used in making the forms, in all cases dressed lumber will be used. As the forms were finished the iron and steel, in the form of I beams for reinforcing ceilings, and in columns for supporting ceilings, for reinforcing concrete, reformed bars were used. The reinforcing steel will be measured by the pound in place and ready for pouring concrete and will include allowance for minimum laps, splices and hooks, if any item needs to be embedded in the concrete such as bolts, anchor, pipes or other embedded items are firmly and securely fastened in place indicated on the plans, and they should be clean and free from rust, scale, oil, or other foreign matters, in this battery there was over 129,265 lbs of reinforcement.
After the forms were going in place the pouring of the concrete was started, at this time only the gun plugs were poured, construction of the platforms was reported as "nearly" completed in May of 1917. The balance was done a year later. It is certain however that prior to mid-1919 no construction was carried out except the gun emplacement themselves. The concrete was all machine mixed, and there was 10847 yards used in the complete battery, there was also a large amount of finishing cement. This work was finished and was ready for the mounting of the gun's and carriage's at the end of FY.
The final parts of building a battery is the using of sand on the front and flanks of the lower floor of batteries, the sand was filled in front of the concrete, (Horizontal protection, front of magazine, 15 feet of concrete, 45 feet of sand; equivalent to 30 feet of concrete - Horizontal protection front of gun, 15 feet of concrete, 40 feet of sand; equivalent to about 28 1/2 feet of concrete- Vertical cover over magazine, 10 feet of concrete) then when a shell was fired at the battery it has been found that a projectile entering a mass of sand appears to have a tendency to deflect upward and to leave the sand with out penetrating very far, the exception is the blast apron, which is made of concrete, and immediately in front of the gun, they had to be layered very carefully, or the would be blown away. In this battery there was used over 15,000 cubic yards of backfill.
This battery was 560' across the front, and 200' deep, and having 425' between the guns, it also had two Store Rooms, that were 14' X 19' and two Plotting Rooms, which were 17' X 21' and a C.O. Room, that was 14' X 24' and a Latrine, that was 14' X 24' and one Officer's Latrine, which was 6' X8' there were also two small rooms, beside each gun emplacement, which were 10' X 23, the gun emplacements, themselves were 30’ 9" X 52' and two B.C. for each gun, that were connected to the gun emplacement, by, a gun phone, to bell, range board and a check back phone there also were several room on the back side of the battery, where the back door is, that were most likely, Guard Room, Tool Rooms, there was also a passageway leading into the back of each gun that was 10' X 74', also a new North was added , by taking out the old wall and moving it back 5 feet to make a passageway to the various rooms, the total cost for the above work was $22,245.00,
When the structure is completed the district Engineer officer prepares the so called "transfer drawing" then the Engineer officer and the local Coast Artillery officer, make an inspection of the structure, and all was in order the keys are transferred to the Artillery commander. This battery was completed 1921, and transferred on June 24 1921 at a cost of $273,000.00.
The 2nd transferred was on November 16 1943 at a cost of $758,241.00, by the District Engineer and was found to be in satisfactory condition and suitable for the purpose intended, and is accepted for the use and care of troops.
The power for this battery had two G.E. power generating sets, G.E. 25 K.W. that was installed June 29, 1921 for the purpose of supplying of lights and power to the entire battery. The motor generator were # 189030 and # 923974, and the Engine were # 5474 & 17492, 10.24 was required for light and 14.92 required for motors, these engines are four cycle, four cylinder, single acting vertical type. They are directly connected to a generator, type M.P.C. class 6-25 K.W.-560 R.P.M., and are each capable of operating its generator at full load indefinitely, and at 25% overload for two hours, furnishing in each case 2.5 K.W. additional for operating radiator fans. Installation of plants at Battery Wallace was completed and turned over June 29, 1921. In 1943 the new electric power plant D.C. also post power (AG) & new stand by, that was installed (OCEorORD) ORD , 120 voltage D.C., K.W. required for utilities 30 K.W. and max. for non battle condition 30 K.W. also some commercial power provided 45 K.W.
This battery has one thing that none of the rest had, and that was spare tube, Model 1895M-2 # 44 and 63, these tubes were not mounted.
The galleries provided for mechanical indicators, along with steel work, plumbing, electric, speaking tubes, it was connected to water and sewer, with the data transmission by telephone and speaking tube and a siphon latrine, and was ventilated by natural draft and it's trunnion in both emplacement was 239.25, datum plane is M.L.L.W., and the Traverse in Azimuth was "all-around-fire".
Two B.C. stations (BC1 and BC2) stood above the plotting room these were connected by a walk along the top of the rear wall. This battery also needed 5 fire stations to be located between San Pedro Point to the South and Gull Rock to the North the B.C. were standard concrete structures located at the battery at an elevation of 255 feet, B1S1 was double dug in concrete station located at Fort Barry at an elevation of 358 feet, B2S2 was to be built at Fort Miley by the Golden Gate Bridge Company as a double concrete at an elevation of 360 Feet, B3S3 was a single dug in concrete station at Fort Funston at an elevation of 204 feet,(this station was to be enlarged to add a spotting instrument) B4S4 a double dug in concrete station was Frank Valley at an elevation of 482 feet, B5S5 was a double dug in type on Point Bonita at an elevation of 85 feet (this station would serve as a low fog station and as a Point Bonita station in case of damage to B1S1). This battery had two plotting rooms both inside the battery one had a cloke plotting board the other M1918 plotting board.
In May 14 1948, it was considered obsolete and was scrapped. This battery saw service from 1921 to 1948.