Was named in GO 105 , Headquarters of the Army, Adjutant General's office Washington DC October 9 1902, named in honor of 2nd Lt Henry M. Boutelle 3rd U.S. Artillery, who was killed in action near Aliaga in the Philippine Island on November 2nd 1899, 2 ND Lieutenant, 3rd Artillery, July 8 1893. Transferred to the 14th Infantry, December 24 1898, Transferred to the 3rd Artillery 1899. Born in Washington, Appointed from Washington
The three rapid fire guns mounted here were model 1897 nos 3, 15, and 17 and were manufactured by the Bethlehem Steel Company. The cost of the gun was $6,250.00, And the weight of the gun was 11,120 lbs.
These guns were mounted on Bethlehem Steel Company, Balanced Pillar Mount, and were model 1896 nos 13, 14, and 12. With an max elevation 15 degrees. The cost of the carriages was $8,150.00, and the total weight/complete with counterweight weight 48,809 lbs.
This battery was originally planed for 4 emplacements, by Col Chas. R. Sutter in Feb. 1898, but the #1 or first on the right was never constructed. Of the many 5", weapons included in the Bay Area defenses, there was one unique model that warrants special comments a carriage known as the? balanced pillar mount..
For guns not larger than 5-inch, the projectiles and the power are ordinarily stored and transported to the gun in the form of complete cartridges, put up in metallic cases similar to the cartridges used in the Infantry rifle. The projectile are stored in rows along the wall of the shell room, The shells for this small caliber guns, is usually issued as fixed ammunition put up in metallic cartridges, and shipped to the battery in wooden boxes or cases containing several rounds. It is kept in the form that it was received until just before it is to be used, when the boxes are broken open.
Its storage, therefore consist simply in piling up the boxes in the most convenient arrangement. The ammunition supply for this battery was stored in the magazine, which was 13.3 x 25 and held 000, and it had 3 of them.
The weight of the Projectile 58 lbs and the Propel was 26 lbs, with a range of 12,920 yards.
This battery had been ordered for some time, but plans could not be prepared owing to lack of information regarding the carriages. When this information finally became available, plans were sent on and approved, An allotment of 6,000 was made on June 3 1899 for D.
The battery was started on March 16 1898, (B & C with the clearing and grading of the site, so the excavation could begin. The excavation started with in the week, and there was a removal of over 959 cu. yds of dirt and sand. Excavation was begun and was completed on May 11 1900 for D, also the main road to the battery was repaired, and the work started.
Construction of the forms for this 2 story battery were erected in February As the excavation was going, the addition of the reinforcement of 9,500 lbs of steel was put in place in the forms.
At this time the concreting was began with over 58,565 gals of concrete used in this battery, work on the center emplacement, C was started March 23 1898, and by the end of April the floors , foundation for the platforms, the retaining walls, a relocator room and a passage to the old magazine had all been completed.
The length across the front of this battery was 130' and it was 30' deep, and there was 45' between the guns, beside the magazines as listed above it also had a Relocator Room that was strange shaped, being between #1 and #2 at the back of the battery 10' X 10' and a Crow Nest that was 2" X 2' and a new entrance to the old Magazine # 22.
They were unable to proceed further with the construction until the cylinders for the mounts arrived. As it is necessary to build the foundation cylinders to pivot the guns into the platforms, work could not be carried beyond making the excavation, laying the foundation and completing some portions of the battery, including the concrete work on relocator and entrance to old magazines this work was finished in March of 1898 and remains status quo, the carriages not having been received.
The cylinders for the pillars arrived in Jan 1901, and the work for completing the battery immediately began. and the concreting completed at the end of March.
The refill, the grading and seeding, the cement finishing and the carpentry work were done in April. During May and June the battery was allowed to dry, and in the latter part of June the rooms were whitewashed and the electric wiring put in. The work was completed except putting the surface drain on the exterior slopes, installing two iron ladders, and some minor fixtures. The carriages were mounted, guns not received as of this date.
"The cylinders for the pillars arrived in January,1901, and the work of completing the battery immediately began. The forms were erected in February and concreting completed at the end of March, the battery was transferred to the Artillery commander on October 1 1901 at a cost of $27,030.22.
This battery was electrician around December of 1902, and used 2.2 kw, prior to December of 1904 a few small electrical plants installed in some of the batteries at Fort Winfield Scott, after the main power was put in Battery Boutelle got its power through Battery Godfrey.
Remainder of armament dismantled and salvaged in 1943 under authority contained in letter, service of supply. November 19 1942 SPX 662 (12 Nov. 42) GB-5 SPDDO subject; Proceedings of the local Harbor Defense Board, October 5 1942, Salvage of obsolete Armament ( Addressed to the Chief of Ordnance) and copy of proceedings of subject board. This is also one of the batteries built on top of the old Battery West , there are still a couple of entrances to be seen around Batteries Boutelle and Battery Miller. Battery Boutelle is strategically located between the 10-inch guns of Battery Marcus Miller and the 12-inch guns of Battery Godfrey. Thus within a few hundred feet there is a dramatic representation to be found of three types of Endocott fortification. It saw service from 1902 to 1917, and still in good shape