Shepherd's Pie (48 Servings)
Lean lamb, 1-inch cubes* 8 lb.
Vegetable oil 1/2 cup
Onions, sliced 2 lb. (1-1/2 qt.)
All-purpose flour 4 oz. (1 cup)
Salt 4 tsp.
Ground pepper 2 tsp.
Dehydrated diced potatoes 1 lb. (1-1/4 qt.)
Beef broth 1 gal.
Tomato sauce 2 cups
Carrots, frozen, sliced 1 lb. (3 cups)
Celery, sliced 8 oz. (2 cups)
Water 1/2 gal.
Milk 1-1/2 cups
Butter 4 oz. (1/2 cup)
Salt 1 Tbsp.
Dehydrated potato flakes 1 lb. (2 qt.)
*Substitute lean beef for lamb and call it Rancher's Stew.
1. Brown lamb in oil; when partially browned, add onion and cook until lamb is completely browned.
2. Add flour, salt and pepper; cook until meat is coated with flour. Add diced potatoes, beef broth and tomato sauce. Simmer about 1 hour or until meat is tender and sauce thickens.
3. Skim off excess fat.
4. While mixture is simmering, prepare mashed potatoes. Bring water, milk, butter and salt to a boil. Whisk in potato flakes.
5. Divide lamb mixture into two 12x20x2-inch pans. Sprinkle half of carrots and celery over top of each pan. Top each pan with scoops of mashed potatoes arranged in 4x6 rows using a No. 16 scoop.
6. Bake at 450 degrees F 15 minutes or until potatoes are browned. If desired, place pan under salamander for 1 minute or to desired degree of browning.
Protein 18.9 g
Fat 18.7 g
Calories from fat 51%
Carbohydrates 21.3 g
Cholesterol 66 mg
Fiber 1.4 g
Sodium 850 mg