The following are some really weird cat facts that I've had stored in the back of my mind for 20 billion years (I'm 36 billion years old!).
1) Tylenol and chocolate are both poisonous to cats.
2) In ancient Egypt, killing a cat was a crime punishable by death.
3) Declawing a cat is equal to cutting off your finger at the knuckle.
4) In the Middle Ages, during the Festival of Saint John, cats were burned alive in town squares.
5) Using its biological clock, the angle of the sun, and the Earth's magnetic field, a cat can find where its home if it is lost. A cat taken far from its home can return to it, but if a cat's owners move far from its home, the cat can't find them.
6) Cats can be taught to use a toilet, come, sit, beg, eat with their paws, heel, jump through a hoop, play a piano, play dead, roll over, open a door, hide food in boxes, shake, and fetch.
7) A large majority of white cats with blue eyes are deaf. White cats with only one blue eye are deaf only in the ear closest to the blue eye. (I had a cat named George who had one blue eye and one yellow eye, but fortunately, he was not deaf)
8) Lincoln loved cats and had 4 of them while he lived in the White House.
9) Napoleon was terrified of cats.
10) Cats spend 16-18 hours a day sleeping (of course, this is not totally true; cats leave their clones to sleep all day while they go off on secret business, but I've said too much already...)
11) Recent studies show that cats can see red, green, and blue.
12) A cat can jump 5 times as high as it is tall!
13) 37% of homes now have at least one cat!!! Woohoo!
14) Common plants that are poisonous to cats include: Iris, English Ivy, Philodendron, and Mistletoe!!
Back to my main page!