Meet Rita V.
Artifex Quod Spiritus .....Altum Volat
Rita enjoys being an artist and children’s book illustrator, and as I continued to explore the various mediums of painting, I am blessed with the freedom of finding never ending inspiration, and even though I am mainly a self taught painter, I am grateful for the experience and chance to share my vision.
As a Zen Master Doodler in school, not a note book was safe. As a child my
father allowed me to splash and paint murals on the walls in my
bedroom. How lucky can an painter get? As a teenager I backpacked from Ontario to the Atlantic Provinces,
and the wonderlust still lives in my heart. The journey of life has
held me in fascination all these years.
2002, I took my first class in watercolor with Kathy Rath. I feel
inspired by People, you who I meet in my journey, Nature, the Impressionist,
Group of Seven, Klimpt, Waterhouse, Michelangelo, the Renaissances and life in
all its continuing creative expressions.
Though I am mainly a self
taught painter, I have participated in workshop classes at Bear
Creek Studio by Kathy Rath, Arial Lyons, Karen Campbell, and Winter
Wednesdays with Sarnia Artist’s Workshop.
I have participated in Master Class workshops with Ed Shawcross and
Margaret Roseman in 2005, and Tom Lynch in 2006. I am a member of
The Sarnia-Lambton Artists Council, Lawrence House Center for The
Arts, and Showcase. Treasurer of Sarnia Artist’s Workshop
from August 2003 -2012, and was a member of “The 6 + 1 Art Group”.
I did teach a watercolor class for the grade six to eights at the local
school and an exploring art class with "school at home
children", Plus I have been a Snowfest
I have had the privilege to be the Set Painter, for The Play Man of La Mancha ,
working with an amazing group of people.
... Such is the life of living
in the mystery, reaching for the spiritual, and having passion in
- Paint Ontario 2015. 3 Juried Entry Show.
- Lawrence House Centre for the Arts – Floyd Gibson Members Juried Show January 2015.
- Lawrence House Centre for the Arts –Wrap it Up Show- December 2014
- Lawrence House Centre for the Arts - June 2014, Members’ Open Studio.
- Lawrence House Centre for the Arts December 2014th
- Lawton Gallery – 2010 to 2013 multiple shows.
- 6+1 Art Group shows – Zonys Gallery from 2008 - 2012.
- Sarnia Artists’ Workshop – “ Art at the Lake” November 2003 to 2012
Recent Solo Shows:
- Lawton Gallery – Collected works - 2011
- Alternate Grounds –“Just Read Rob” book signing – 2011
- Lawton Gallery – Collected works & Mimi book signing – 2010
- Lawrence House Center for the Arts – Solo Show August 2005 & August 2006.
- "Just Read Rob" written by Kailey Robertson 2011
- “What Color Is Your Heart” written by Linda Reau – 2010.
~ Gold - Mom's Choice Awards - Children's Picture Book (2011)
- “Mimi the Inchworm” written by Sue-Beth Balash - 2009.
Treasurer: for the Sarnia Artist’s Workshop, from Aug. 2003 – Dec 31. 2012.
Donated three paintings to Gallery Lambton Building Fundraiser 2010 –two sold.
Snowfest Sculptor – Sarnia:
- Team U.S.A. ~Awarded “Peoples Choice” & “First Place” ~ January 18th 2012
- Team Lawrence House. ~Awarded the "Artists Choice” ~ January 2008.
- Participated in Snowfest from 2006 – 2012.
Imperial Theatre: Set painter design
- Annie, Imperial Theatre, Sarnia Ont.2012.
- 42nd St., Imperial Theatre, Sarnia Ont. 2011.
- Cinderella, Imperial Theatre, Sarnia Ont. 2009.
- Man of La Mancha, Imperial Theatre, Sarnia Ont. 2008.
3rd Solo Exhibition of Paintings at Alternate Grounds Café- 410 Front St. Sarnia. September 2008.
Solo Show at the Lawrence House Center for the Arts - August 2006.
• Group Show with 6 + 1 Art Group at Grace Brothers Gallery, Sarnia Ont. May 2008.
• Group Show with Sarnia Artist Workshop, December 2007, at the Lawrence House Center for the Arts- 127 Christina St. Sarnia On.
• “© Insight between White and Black” Juried into the Gallery in The Grove Invitational 2007.
• “©Shelter from the Storm” Juried into the Paint Ontario 2007 show.
• Group Show with Sarnia Artist Workshop, January 2007 at Gallery in the Grove.
• 2nd Solo Exhibition of Paintings at Alternate Grounds Café- 410 Front St. Sarnia. October 2006.
• Solo Show at the Lawrence House Center for the Arts - August 2006.
• “©Silver Sun” Juried into the Paint Ontario 2006 show.
• Artist of the Month for "Showcase" located in the Lawrence House Center for the Arts
~ Solo Show August 2005.
• Acrylic “© Ice Flowing- Guthrie Park Corunna “Juried into Paint Ontario 2005 show.
• 1ST Solo Exhibition of Paintings at Alternate Grounds Café- 410 Front St. Sarnia. February 2005.
• Plein Aire oil painting “© Windy Day – St Clair River” accepted into Juried Look 2004
at gallery Lambton.
• Acrylic Painting “© Path to the Lake “accepted into Juried Gallery in The Grove Show 2004.
• Donated three paintings to Gallery Lambton fundraiser sale 2011.
• Donated three painting to " "For the Love Joanne Klauke-Labelle" ( Harmony for Youth founder) charity event in Sarnia in 2012 .
• Volunteered for Rayjon/ YMCA International Development Committee to plan, and coordinate a team of grade eight students from St. Joseph’s School to produce a six by twelve banner for the Forum on Unity, Peace, and Justice held Nov.13 2004.
• Designed, painted, and donated the logo 2004 for The Autism Society of Sarnia/Lambton.
• Donated miniatures to Gallery Lambton fundraisers from 2003 to 2007.
• Donated six miniature paintings to YMCA International Development Committee fundraiser in 2003.
Portrait of Mrs Hugh Bromley. 2010.
• Original concept design for “©Concept Fabric of The Universe” Gifted to Margaret Nelson Director Catholic School Board- Lambton County by the Episcopal Vicar Fr. Jim Higgins. January 2006.
• Commissioned to Paint “© Fabric of the Universe” By Fr. Jim Higgins and the Parish as a gift to Bishop Fabbro. April 2005.
Designed, sewed, and donated a pulpit cloth for St Joseph’s Church Corunna, 2005.
• Parent Coordinator for “Families and Schools Together” St Joseph’s School Corunna an initiative through the Family Counselling Center, from 2004 – 2008.