COPY from the television
1. Videotape your favorite soap opera
2. Videotape a news, sports , weather broadcast
3. Videotape an action Television program
4. Videotape a sitcom
1. a classic film noir film
2. a musical
3. a high action thriller modern with digitial effects
4. a classic Shakespeare production
Write a paper which has the following lists, and discriptions
1. Title style
2. type of open to the program
3. Amount of music - how used -
4. Most films will use 'FOLEY' for sound - note how the sound is constructed - think how your video would be if the sound was redubbed in the studio and all effects created and added in editing
5. What transitions are used between scenes - list the types and number of each -
6. time the space between spoken dialogues - describe what filled in.
7. digital effects - what were they and how were they used - what effect did it have on the viewer.
8. time the individual scenes - explain the uses of long and short scenes -
9. Explain relative time, as experienced by the viewer, with relation to individual portions of the video/film being reviewed.
10. Explain the effect of B/W - Sepia - tinted - Full color in the various reviews.
11. Describe the use of camera movement - count the scenes where the camera moves and contrast that with the number of scenes where the camera is stationary. This includes booms, trucks, dollys, tilts, pans, and zooms. 12. Describe the use of any different form of camera placement or movement. 13. Count and contrast the tripod shots to the hand held shots.
The majority of all your editing will be done NLE or In-Camera. For those of you who will be using tape to tape systems - (cuts only and A-B Roll systems)I will suggest you learning an obslete system, and the exercise of learning on the equipment you are working with will better prepair you for NLE systems.
My comment on editing is the majority of scene changes you will use are 'CUTS' and all other transitions will be found used minimally and for special reasons. Therefor the single system deck to deck systems will be of special importance for you as an editor. Because for a many productions you will be able to utilize this editing process to advantage when time is of importance.