JAMES CAIRNS MY GREAT GREAT GRANDFATHER AND ELIZABETH PATTERSON MY GREAT GREAT GRANDMOTHER
JAMES CAIRNSJr: Third child born to James Cairns and Elizabeth Patterson.
Born 12 May 1814, Loanknow, Eccles Parish, Berwickshire Co., Scotland, baptised 26 June 1814, died 18 Dec 1871, Forest, Ont.
In 1835, in Scotland, he marriedElizabeth (Betsy) Anderson, born 6 Nov 1810, Swinton Parish, Berwickshire Co., Scotland, baptised 6 Jan 1811, died 24 Oct 1899. (d/o John Anderson and Ellen Hoy).
Both buried North Plympton (McKay) Cemetery, Plympton Twp., Ont. (#21).
They had 8 children.Rachel, James, Elizabeth, Helen, Annie, John, Thomas, and William.
Emigrated to Plympton Township Lambton County, Ontario in 1847.
ARTICLE WRITTEN BY NANCY McINTYRE
James was never a strong man. When quite a young man he had rheumatism so bad that at the age of twelve his hip went out of joint and he was ever afterward lame. While very ambitious he could never do a real days-hard work. He could not handle the axe at all which made the clearing of a bush farm a tedious job and consequently the heavy end fell on the eldest son James. He passed away at aged 57 years of Dropsy and Bronchial trouble.
He was a very religious man, but although a Presbyterian, was not a bigot. He could see good in all denominations. He had a terrible dislike of gambling, card playing, or dancing and considered them all as inventions of the evil one. I remember him going to the City of Toronto to buy a piece of land which was an addition to his own place. On going he went to a good respectable, as he thought, looking hotel, ordered a bed and supper. On looking around he spied a few men sitting at a table playing a game of cards. He immediately left the house and looked for another place.
1. RACHEL CAIRNS: First child born to James Cairns and Elizabeth Anderson.Born 20 Oct 1836, Stitchell, Roxburghshire, Scotland, died 1 Aug 1916. On the 10 Feb 1871, she married William Welsh, born Oct 1842, died 1 Nov 1922.Both buried ??
They had 3 children. Elizabeth Ellen, Mary and Elizabeth Ann.
2. JAMES CAIRNS: Second child born to James Cairns and Elizabeth Anderson. Born 15 Mar 1837, Stitchell, Roxbourghshire, Scotland, died 3 Jan 1928. On the 2 Feb 1872 in Arberarder, Lambton Co., Ont., he married Margaret Stirrett, born 4 Apr 1850, died 29 Feb 1928. (d/o George Stirrett and Jane Park).Both buried Knox Church Cemetery, Camlachie, Ont. (#45).They had 7 children. James, Jane, Ellen, Mary, Rachel, Margaret & Sarah (twins). There could have been another child, possibly born around 1882. Obit said they had 8 children.
3. ELIZABETH CAIRNS: Third child born to James Cairns and Elizabeth Anderson.Born 6 Oct 1839, Swinton Parish, Berwickshire Co., Scotland, baptised 3 Nov 1839, died 17 Mar 1918. On the 12 Mar 1863 in Plympton Twp., Lambton Co., Ont., she married James Lowrie, born 15 Mar 1822, Berwickshire, Scotland, died 9 May 1896.Both buried North Plmypton Cemetery (McKay) Plympton Twp., Ont. (#21).They had 9 children. Annie, James 1, James 2, Betsy, Andrew, Rachel, George, Jane and Joseph.
5. ANNIE CAIRNS: Fifth child born to James Cairns and Elizabeth Anderson.Born 1 Jan 1846, Scotland, died 14 Jun 1847, on board ship enroute to Canada.
6. JOHN ANDERSON CAIRNS: Sixth child born to James Cairns and Elizabeth Anderson.Born 5 Apr 1848, Plympton Twp., Lambton Co., Ont., died 16 Oct 1914. On the 24 Dec 1884, he married Margaret Purcell, born 17 Oct 1855, died 25 Nov 1919.Both buried Beechwood Cemetery, Forest, Ont. (#1086) they had 6 children. Mary, James, Robert, Elizabeth, Rachel and Raka.(Stone for Margaret reads 1856-1919).1901 Census Margaret shown as being born 17 Oct 1857 (43 yr..Age last birthday). Lived Lot 18 Con 10, Plympton Twp., Ont.
7. THOMAS CAIRNS: Seventh child born to James Cairns and Elizabeth Anderson.Born 16 Jun 1849, Plympton Twp., Lambton Co., Ont., died 7 Jul 1943 Portage la Prairie,Man. On the 1 Aug 1873, he married Barbara Hoy, born 1 Aug 1852, Stratford, Ont., died 21 Aug 1897, Austin, Man. (d/o William Hoy and Margaret Brown). Both buried Austin, Man.They had 11 children. Margaret, Ellen Isabelle, Alfred James, Effie, William Hoy, Chester Anderson, Edna Jean, Thomas Russell, Barbara Irene (Annie), Garnet Chester and Lindesay Harvey Wright.
8. WILLIAM CAIRNS: Eighth and last child born to James Cairns and Elizabeth Anderson.Born 23 Sep 1853, Plympton Twp., Lambton Co., Ont., died 17 Jul 1949. On the 30 Dec 1875, in Sarnia, Ont., he married Jane Duncan, born 25 Feb 1852, died 28 Jun 1891. William buried MacGregor, Man.They had 5 children. James, Aylmer, William, Jennie and Walter.William was a wagon-maker before moving to Manitoba in 1878. Farmed in Gladstone and Norfolk, Man. To make life easier for his invalid wife, Jane, he sold his farm in 1885 and moved to MacGregor, Man.,William re-married 20 Sep 1892 to Annie Baird. (4 ch) (This family follows Walter).