Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Hero

By xingy

Disclaimer: How about a mathematical equation? Don't worry; it's easy enough to understand. Soul Calibur + Hwang + Mina = NAMCO

Dark and wet.

Everything is so dark and wet, Mina thought, hastily pushing hair from her eyes as she turned another corner in a maze of neglected streets and tall, ancient buildings devoid of life.

Rain poured down from the murky skies above, drenching everything in a bitter cold cloak of water. Bright lightening flashed, briefly transforming her surroundings into a ghostly bluish haze, reflecting in pools of water along the dirt roads and playing games with her eyes.

Thunder roared ominously, shaking the earth, sounding as if the sky itself was falling and bringing the heavens down with it. A thick cloud of humid mist hung in the air, enveloping the streets in a dismal haze.

Mina shivered, wrapping her arms tightly around herself as goose bumps formed on her pale skin. She flexed the fingers that gripped her Zanba-to, mentally urging herself into a quicker walk, despite the hot pain it caused to flare up her leg.

Turning yet another dark corner, Mina found herself traveling down one more desolate, nameless street. Tremors of fear coursed throughout her body as she nervously bit her lip.

She was lost.

That much she knew was true. Who could have ever guessed that a simple mission could go so wrong? She felt like a mouse in a maze, desperately searching for an exit, but taking every wrong turn twice.

Suddenly, a muffled noise, hardly heard above the downpour, sounded behind her.

Whipped from her thoughts, Mina whirled around and brought the Zanba-to to a defensive position, fully expecting the worst. Gasping, she came face to face with.

Nothing.

The cold, dark street stood empty, as if mocking her, a haze clouding her vision like a sheet. A small stream of frigid, muddy water ran down the center of the road, lapping at her feet. Mentally sighing, Mina turned and continued walking, limping slightly and using the Zanba-to as a crutch.

A few minutes of deep breathing did nothing to quell her nerves; to cease the flow of adrenaline that threatened to overtake her body, sending her into a blind panic. Her hands visibly shook as she pushed wet hair from her eyes yet again. The feeling of uneasiness never completely left her, but Mina slowly regained control of her emotions. Still, it was impossible to forget what she knew, what was constantly digging away at the corners of her mind.

They were following her. Tracking her.

But what truly unnerved her was how close they had come before.

Her throbbing ankle served as a strong reminder as to what could happen when one let her guard down in unknown territory.

She had learned her lesson.

There would be no escape next time.

Lost in her thoughts, Mina didn't see the hollow in the muddy road before her until it was too late. Gasping, she felt herself fall forward, not prepared for the step down.

Unable to maintain her precious footing, she crashed to the ground with a scream of pain as her ankle erupted in a blast of throbbing fire.

Turning to sit on the hard road, her clothing soaking up the mud and water streaming down the middle, Mina bent her leg, pulling her ankle up against her to check if it was broken. Waves of white-hot pain shot up her leg, causing a grimace to appear on her face. Although the swelling and bruising had dramatically increased, her prodding fingers proved the bone was whole. A breath of relief escaped Mina's lips as the rain pounded on her back.

Escape would be impossible with a broken ankle.

Brown eyes hastily scanned the dark area surrounding her as water poured down her face - fearful they had heard her outburst.

Mentally chastising herself for lack of attention, Mina pushed her body off the ground and began to limp away as quickly as her swollen ankle would allow.

She had to keep moving; get away from there.

Mina didn't know exactly how far back her pursuers were, but she knew for certain it wasn't very far.

They were professionals.

Gasping as yet another bolt of pain shot up her leg, Mina forced herself onward, rounding a corner and heading down a dark, foggy street; a street that resembled every other street she had treaded that horrible night.

Except it wasn't like every other street. With the heavy rain and thick fog, Mina didn't realize that this particular road ended with a brick wall. Too high to scale, it blocked any possible escape route. She didn't realize it until it was too late, the wall emerging from behind a sheet of smog, looming above her as if reaching for the skies, delighted at it's deception.

Mina was face to face with her worst nightmare - a complete dead end.

Placing a numbed hand against the ancient brick wall, she glanced behind her. Fear had control of her body - her mind - and desperation clung to her.

She had lost.

There was no time to turn around, to search for another street. No, they were much too close for that.

The mistake would cost Mina her life.

She had played their cruel game and lost.

Hot tears stung at her eyes and cascaded down her cold cheeks, invisible in the pouring rain. A loud sob racked her frame as she saw three misty figures approaching in the distance. They took their time; there was no need to hurry - she was trapped.

And they knew it.

Closing her eyes against the stinging rain, Mina forced her breathing to slow and readied herself for the battle to come. She knew she would lose, but she would go down fighting.

Grip tightening on the Zanba-to, Mina opened her eyes and brought the weapon to a defensive position. Her assailants, large, muscularly built men, were still approaching, their shadows streaking over the gloomy road as blue lightening flashed.

Twenty feet, fifteen, ten.

With a final deep, calming breath, Mina launched herself at her attackers, her shout drowned out by the pouring rain, her Zanba-to twirling.

A lighting-quick blow to the chest brought one attacker to his knees. Whirling around and wasting no time, Mina went at the second man. She had almost succeeded in overcoming him when, from behind, she felt a violent blow smash across her back.

Gasping, she froze in pain and fought for breath.

Before she could move to defend herself again, the second man was on her, attacking her with the entirety of his strength.

It had all happened so quickly. Too quickly.

A crushing blow to her ankle sent Mina falling to the ground, landing roughly in the mud and water and struggling to breathe.

Her attackers were ruthless as all three kicked and hit at her as she lay in the muddy road, unable to defend herself in even the smallest way.

Through the pain, Mina felt her life slowly slipping away more and more with each shattering blow. Suddenly, an odd sensation hit her: she didn't even know why she was dying. Who were these men? her mind demanded. Why were they attacking her? What had she done?

Unanswered questions flooded her mind as Mina felt herself rapidly growing tired, clutching helplessly at the hope of survival. A welcoming blackness beckoned her, enticing her with an escape from the pain, the cruelty.

Just as she was about to succumb to the tendrils of sleepiness - unconsciousness - her attackers stopped.

What, Mina wondered through the white hot fire that had erupted in her body, had happened?

Despite the thundering rain, she could hear voices - loud voices - arguing.

She wanted to see what was happening, who was arguing, but her body would not obey her commands. As hot tears streamed down her cheeks, mingling with the muddy pools in the alley, Mina struggled to control her sobbing.

The pain was unbearable.

Suddenly, loud noises erupted from behind her.

A fight, her mind rationalized, it had to be a fight. But who? Why?

Wincing, Mina fought to keep her full concentration on what was happening behind her - anything to keep her mind off the agony she was feeling, the blaze that threatened to overwhelm her.

Time passed - how much, she wasn't sure. A minute? An hour? Had she lost consciousness?

All was deathly silent behind her.

And then one pair of footsteps began to approach her, water splashing as they struck the hardened earth.

NO! her mind screamed, they've come back!

Fear once again gained control of her senses, but this time she could do nothing but lie there and shiver, awaiting her fate.

The footsteps paused and Mina felt eyes upon her, scrutinizing her.

Whoever was behind her kneeled and placed a large hand on her cold and frail shoulder.

She didn't move; she couldn't.

Suddenly, a pair of strong arms enveloped her shivering figure, lifting her from the freezing ground and pulling her tight against a warm body.

Using all of her strength to force her heavy eyelids open, Mina felt a small gasp escape her lips. It couldn't be.

But it was.

Hwang.

He had come to save her.

Instantly, she knew she was safe; that everything was going to be alright.

As his worried gaze met hers words became unnecessary, and the last thing Mina remembered before blackness claimed her was the deep, penetrating concern in his eyes and the realization that, with all his heart and soul, he loved her.

And she loved him.