Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things (Voldo's Death)



by xingy

Stupid Master. Stupid coffin. Stupid sanctuary.

Muttering under his breath, Voldo trailed his fingers along the rough floor he was sitting on, tracing the cracks in the hard rock with one of his deadly katar, also known as Shame and Blame.

Stupid name.

Briefly wondering what genius had thought that one up, Voldo sighed softly to himself, the air wisping past his upturned lips with a hissing sound.

Yet another night all alone, in the darkened depths of his dead Master's sanctuary, guarding the coffin of the man whom had only wanted one thing in life - the Soul Edge.

"Bring me the Soul Edge!" He had heard the phrase uttered so many times he could replay it in his mind as if reliving it, right down to the minutest detail: the boom of the voice, the scowling eyes, the tight set lips, the echo of the sounds. the ultimate feeling of dread.

Yup, his Master was a psycho. Plain and simple.

And to this fact, Voldo largely credited his current predicament.

Uttering yet another exasperated sigh, he leaned against the cold clamminess of the rock wall, letting his mind drift into the past.

His first attempt at a real friend had failed miserably - and that was putting it lightly. He could still see the fear clouding the young girl's eyes as she dashed frantically into the street screaming hysterically of "the moon walking creature."

That had hurt.

And it certainly hadn't provided the basis for a rewarding relationship of any kind. Thus, despite his feelings, Voldo had distanced himself from everyone but his master.

His crazy, psycho master.

Mind wandering and sleep winning the battle over bored consciousness, Voldo was surprised when he heard the heavy door, his only escape from the pit, slam shut with a reverberating bang.

Surprised, but not alarmed.

Not until he heard the voice, at least.

"Voldo," it rasped, causing prickling terror to course throughout his body.

What the.?

"Voldo," it repeated, and this time a slight giggling sound could be heard in the background.

"Voldo, can you hear me?"

Jumping bolt upright, Voldo began to pace throughout the shadowy enclosure, searching for the intruder, eyes narrowed to slits and katar ready to strike.

Whoever was there, they wouldn't be leaving alive.

"My, but don't you look positively murderous!" a different voice chimed in, bringing Voldo to an immediate halt.

So, there were TWO intruders? He didn't have long to wait for an answer.

"Kilik!" voice number one broke in, frustration plainly evident the stressed syllables, "You moron! We're supposed to sound EVIL, remember!?!"

"Oh," number two, obviously Kilik, replied curtly, "Well, we weren't supposed to use our names either now, were we HWANG?"

Voldo raised an eyebrow and let a questioning hiss escape his lips, drawing the intruders' attention. Several moments of stunned silence passed before voice number two spoke again.

"Can you hear me, Voldo?"

"Of course he can!" - voice number one.

Voldo hissed again as he crept around the sanctuary, trying to pinpoint the exact location of the intruders.

"You won't find us, Voldo," Hwang sang, his voice betraying his obvious delight at the situation.

"We've hidden ourselves very well. And even if you did happen to locate us, you'd still end up dead."

Dead.

Voldo froze at the word. Dead? Now whatever could they be referring to?

He let out a questioning hiss - if there were such a thing.

Never before had he so powerfully wished for the ability to speak.

"Yup, you heard us, Voldo," voice number two spoke up. "DEAD!"

"You see, my dear friend," Hwang interjected, reveling in his apparent genius, "While you were daydreaming, we have sealed off all the air ducts, and now the oxygen is slowly being sucked out of the room."

Voldo gulped.

This was definitely NOT sounding too good.

"Oops," number one continued, "Did I say slowly? Well, I actually meant quickly. Yes, quickly."

Eyes wide in terror, Voldo began to stalk around the darkened pit, desperately seeking out the voices.

"You might as well give up, Voldo," voice number two crowed with a hint of glee, "We're not anywhere near the room. We wouldn't want to perish along with you, now would we? No, that wouldn't be any fun! Instead we've installed a camera and intercom system for the purpose. In-ter-com. See if you can process that one."

An odd lilting laughter drifted throughout the room, enveloping Voldo with its grotesque delight.

Then silence.

In the utter stillness filling the room, Voldo heard a noise.

A hissing noise - high-pitched and non-stop.

The sound of air. air leaving the room.

At a very rapid rate.

The cruel laughter started up again, echoing in the vast chambers of the pit. Voldo began to see black dots dancing before his eyes.

Frantically, he ran toward the exit, only to find it blocked - as he knew it would be. Desperate, he fell to pounding against the cold rocky walls with his fists, katar leaving small scratches in the stone.

For all the times he had underestimated Hwang and Kilik, it didn't appear as they had forgotten anything on this particular occasion. Go figure.

As dizziness began to overwhelm him, the evil cackling of his captors running through his head, one question still begged to be answered.

What the heck was an INTERCOM?

Suddenly, the ground appeared to lurch forward and Voldo found himself sprawled face down on the cracked rock surface. His lungs burned from lack of oxygen and sleep felt incredibly inviting.

As tendrils of slumber jerked against his alertness, Voldo fought to remain awake.

"Goodnight, Voldo!" voice number one cooed as, much against his will, Voldo felt his heavy eyelids closing upon themselves, the world becoming only a cruel memory.

As the infinite blackness enveloped him, overwhelming any subtle resistance left, the last thing Voldo remembered was the maniacal laughter of the voices, and yet still he wondered.

What the heck was an INTERCOM?!?