Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Silent Night (Hwang's Death)

by xingy

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Remember loss of blood=sleepiness

This couldn't be happening.

This simply couldn't be happening.

"No." Hwang groaned, letting his head fall against the mirror in the bathroom and his arms hang lifelessly at his sides. This was NOT good, not good at all. Was it really possible that the world hated him so much?

Apparently it was.

6:30 p.m. the clock read. 6:30 - he should have left by now for his date with Seung Mina. She would be worried. That wasn't good either. Mina had a temper, to say the least.

This date tonight was to mark their 6-month anniversary. They had planned everything together - dinner, a walk along the beach, just being with each other. It would be perfect, Hwang thought, turning to glance at the dozen roses he had purchased earlier for the occasion.

At least in theory.

Wincing at the thought, Hwang placed two fingers to his temples.

"Think, think, think," he whispered frantically to himself, "It was here just this morning, it didn't up and run away, so it should still be here." 'Then WHY isn't it?' the small part of his brain he'd rather ignore shot back.

Pulling open the door to his medicine cabinet, Hwang sifted around on the shelves for what had to be the hundredth time. Not surprisingly, it still wasn't there.

"Darned Bic razor!" Hwang muttered, running a hand down his unshaven face - the one thing standing between this bathroom and his date.

He had considered going without shaving, but that idea was quickly abandoned. Mina hated - absolutely HATED - him unshaven.

And he didn't want to ignite the wrath of Seung Mina, especially not on this day - that would most certainly mean an instantaneous and painful death.

Sometimes Hwang wondered why he put up with her.

It wasn't that he didn't like Mina, he did; he just didn't like dating her.

No wait, that hadn't come out right.

Sighing, partly in frustration and partly in sheer anger, Hwang quickly turned and left the bathroom.

.only to stop abruptly, his breath catching in his throat.

There, at the end of the hallway, leaning against the wall, was Blue Thunder. The sunlight from a nearby window practically cascaded off the gleaming silver blade, sprinkling glittery speckles of light around the small, darkened room. Hwang felt his jaw fall open. It was so. so, WONDERFUL!

NNNOOOOOOOO!!! the sane part of his mind practically screamed in protest, but it was too late; the idea was simply too perfect to pass up.

A wild grin lit Hwang's face as he stalked down the hall and grabbed for the sword. His eyes swam with an emotion that could only be described as pure desperation.

It was his only chance.

Grip tightening on the hilt of his sword, Hwang practically ran back down the hallway and into the small, brightly lit bathroom.

Grabbing his Gillette Shave Cream off the back of the toilet, Hwang turned and slammed the door behind him.

It had to work.

It simply had to.

************

Humming nervously, Seung Mina slowly ascended the steps leading to Hwang's apartment, her light footsteps echoing throughout the vast stairway.

It was 7:10 p.m., and Hwang had never shown up for their date. She was worried, yes, but anger also lit the dark brown orbs of her eyes.

It wasn't like him to be late. For his own sake, Mina hoped that he had a good excuse; it was, after all, their 6-month anniversary. Then again, tonight would be the perfect night for him to mess everything up, she figured, only somewhat sarcastically.

Turning a corner, Mina came face to face with the door of Hwang's apartment. With a loud sigh, she pounded against it (no sense wasting time with the doorbell), the noise incredibly loud in the otherwise dead building.

No answer.

She pounded again and waited several seconds. Still no answer. Concern overwhelmed her.

Where was he?

Turning the knob, Mina slowly pushed the door open and stepped inside.

"Hwang?" she called, quietly at first, then a little louder.

Warily walking down the hallway, she turned and entered the living room, only to stop short at what she saw.

Fuming, Mina narrowed her eyes to slits and stalked across the dim room, her footsteps pounding against the floor.

There, on the couch, laid Hwang, eyes closed, sound asleep, even snoring slightly.

Standing above him, arms on her hips, Seung Mina noticed bloodied tissues stuck all over his face, as if he had had a difficult time shaving and finally given up, perhaps to conserve blood. As her eyes followed a sliver of drool that slowly trailed down Hwang's cheek, her anger grew.

And grew. And grew.

THIS was what had come of their perfect date???

It was SUPPOSED to be their 6-month anniversary, and here he was SLEEPING???

She had looked forward to THIS, planned for THIS?

"Heck no," she muttered through clenched teeth and, fuming, bent down to tap the sleeping figure on roughly on the shoulder.

"Wha.?"

Hwang stirred, yawned, and struggled to open his heavy eyelids before realizing his truly dire situation.

Suddenly, his eyes widened, filling with fear and, gasping, he struggled to sit up.

"Mina, I, I. I can explain! You see, I was shaving, only I seemed to be loosing a lot of blood, and I do mean A LOT of blood, when this, uh, wave of sudden sleepiness came over me, so I laid down, just to rest my eyes for a few seconds, you know, and then I." his hurried voice trailed off, however, when he caught the very murderous expression on Mina's face. Uh-oh. He gulped.

A moment of heavy silence passed before Mina spoke, her voice strained.

"You are so dead!" she hissed, her hand moving in the direction of her Zanba-to.