Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Carol of the Bells (Edge Master's Death)

by xingy

AUTHOR'S WARNING: A slightly insane Kilik ensues.

"The red wire attaches to the blue wire, the blue wire attaches to the yellow wire." the haunting song drifted throughout the tiny room, the low masculine voice lilting up and down in a forbidding tone.

A wild grin lit Kilik's features as a deep, cackling laugh escaped his lips. A frenzied gleam glistened in his brown eyes, giving him what could only be described as a look of pure insanity.

Nimble fingers attached the last wire - a green one - to its rightful place.

His work was done; so perfectly complete he couldn't have dreamed it better.

The old man didn't stand a chance.

A too-big grin stretched Kilik's lips causing a mouthful of teeth to appear.

The old man didn't stand a chance.

The thought caused a tingling sensation of shear happiness to flood throughout Kilik's body.

A snap back to reality (the old man could return at any moment) and he was on the move, screwing the top back on over the wires and closing the refrigerator door.

Yes, the refrigerator door.

It was common knowledge that the average person opens his refrigerator at least 20 times a day.

Why should the old man be any different???

It was the perfect location - completely unexpected. One crack in the door and BOOM!!!

It would be over.

Kilik positively giggled at the thought.

"You should have never turned on me," he whispered aloud as he exited the ancient house on the hill overlooking his training spot.

It was done. He had but to wait and let time take its course.

************

Edge Master was exhausted. A day spent fighting the powers of good always left him longing for his home.

Nothing a chocolate chip cookie (Soft Batch, of course), a cold glass of milk and a nap couldn't fix!

He noticed Kilik training on his way up the hill.

"The boy has too much energy," he mumbled to himself, "youth can be so. annoying."

Glancing back over his shoulder, he noticed the boy staring at him, an odd - almost evilly desperate - look lighting his features.

Edge Master shuddered. He didn't like that look.

Didn't like it at all.

Turning, he walked a little faster up the hill, telling himself it wasn't out of fear: that he was just tired and wanted to be home.

He didn't glance back at the boy again.

Reaching the door, he pushed it open and entered the tiny cabin - his one sanctuary in the world.

He couldn't stop the involuntary shiver than ran up his spine, digging its cold fingers into his back. What WAS that look all about?

"Best not to dwell on it," Edge Master thought aloud, comforting himself with the knowledge that he was safe at home.

A small part of his brain was laughing - laughing at himself for acting so utterly foolish.

He had trained the boy; he knew everything about him - his strengths and weaknesses, his hopes and fears.

It was enough to destroy the youth.

Relaxing a little, Edge Master allowed a smile to curl the corners of his lips and a small breathless laugh to escape his mouth.

Yes, the boy didn't stand a chance against him.

Plain and simple.

He couldn't believe how paranoid he had been - and all over ONE look!

Edge Master let a hearty laugh echo throughout the cottage.

How silly he had been!

Nonchalantly shaking his head, Edge Master headed to the kitchen.

Atop the refrigerator sat his Soft Batch cookies (the best cookies EVER made, mind you). Grabbing the package, he carefully opened the end (so it could be re-closed later on) and took three cookies from the tiny plastic slots.

Putting one delicious cookie in his mouth, allowing half of it to hang out, he placed the other two on the counter beside the package. Opening the cupboard door, he pulled a glass and straw out and sat them on the counter, neatly in line with the cookies. After all was satisfactory, Edge Master turned and headed to the fridge.

Placing one hand on the door, he gave it a small jerk.

The door opened and the refrigerator light clicked on, illuminating all of the items within the tiny unit.

.including a tiny black timer with red numbers counting backwards.

Edge Master froze.

No, it couldn't be.

Five seconds.

His eyes grew wide.

Four seconds.

The cookie fell from his now open mouth, landing upon the linoleum floor with a soft PLAT! sound.

Three seconds.

It had all come down to this.

Two seconds.

He had severely underestimated the boy.

One second.

And now he would pay the price.

BBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!

************

Down in the valley, briefly pausing his training, Kilik smiled up at the burning cottage.

and continued to practice.