Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

When The Banister Comes A'Callin

by xingy

"What are you, chicken?" Maxi teased, sticking his hands under his arms and completing a near-perfect imitation of the feathered creature.

"I am NOT!" Kilik vehemently defended, narrowing his eyes at the strutting Maxi.

"Then why won't you do it?" Hwang chimed in, raising an eyebrow in Kilik's direction as Maxi came to a halt beside them, placing one hand on his hip.

"Because, well, its just not." he paused, searching for a word, "Safe. Yes, its just not safe."

"SAFE?" Hwang practically shouted, "Of course its not safe! That's the point!"

Kilik gulped. "I know, but." his voice trailed off as he tore his eyes from Hwang's and glanced down the stairwell.

THE stairwell.

Quite possibly one of the largest stairways at the time, it allowed access to twenty floors packed full of offices, rooms and lounges. Made of pure and polished oak, it was also relatively expensive, not to mention a small tourist attraction of sorts. Its location and local history made for quite an interesting story - one of politics, money, trade and power. Many people came from small villages all around to view what was commonly referred to as 'The Stairway to the Skies.'

But, to Kilik's dismay, local history was far from the reason they were there, standing on one of the numerous landings stationed around the curving staircase.

No, something much more interesting had attracted their attention.

The banister.

Yes, the banister. Curving along in seamless harmony with the stairs, rounded just perfectly, and so smoothed and polished it practically screamed 'Slide down me!'

Which was precisely their incentive for being there.

"So, are you going to do it or not?" Maxi asked, his voice sounding more impatient than usual.

"I just don't know," Kilik sighed, staring down at his shoes.

"Look," Hwang began, placing a hand on Kilik's shoulder, "If it'll make you feel any better, I'll go down before you."

"That's really nice and all, but--" Kilik started, only to be cut off by an eager Maxi.

"Hey, I'll even go! It's really not that difficult."

Kilik sighed again. "Even if I did say yes, which I certainly haven't, not yet at least, is the twelfth floor really the best starting place? It's a little high."

"Nonsense!" Hwang replied, shaking his head, "Everyone starts on the twelfth floor! Easy as pie."

"Yeah, I'm sure it is," Kilik sarcastically commented, "But maybe I could start on, oh I don't know, perhaps the second floor?"

"You CAN'T be serious," Maxi sighed, smacking a palm to his forehead.

"Why not?"

"Just think about it!" Maxi began, eyes wide, "There you are starting on the pathetic SECOND floor, and in walks Xianghua."

He paused, looking into Kilik's eyes for any sign of comprehension.

None.

"And in walks Xianghua," he continued, stressing the words, "And she sees you, her BOYFRIEND, starting his slide on the SECOND floor. Utterly humiliating - on both your parts." Maxi shrugged as if to say it wasn't his decision.

"I would NEVER let Mina catch ME on the second floor," Hwang whispered, as if afraid to even discuss the very notion.

"Nor me Venus," Maxi agreed.

"I'm sure Xingy wouldn't mind," Kilik objected, desperately fighting the overwhelming urge to just slide with Maxi and Hwang - there was just too much pressure!

He sighed for what had to be the hundredth time, pondering the situation placed before him. A second's more thought on the subject, however, and his mind rang in with the answer.

SLIDE.

And NOT from the second floor.

"Okay, okay," he finally submitted, raising his hands in defeat, "I'll do it. I'll slide from here down."

"About time!" Hwang smiled, relieved that a decision had been reached.

There wasn't anything a little peer pressure couldn't fix!

"You're a brave man," Maxi added, clapping Kilik on the shoulder.

"Yeah, just remember to put that on my tombstone," Kilik joked, secretly dreading the events about to unfold. "So, who's first?"

"Why me, of course!" Maxi said, hopping up onto the edge of the rail and positioning himself for take-off. "Seeya at the bottom!"

Without waiting for a response, Maxi gave himself a large push to start his decent. Kilik and Hwang watched as he disappeared from view, a "WWWEEEEEEEEEE!!!" traveling upwards as he picked up speed. Leaning over the railing, they watched as Maxi continued his downward spiral, a smile clearly evident on his face even with the distance.

Finally, he disappeared from their view as he went around the last bend. Several seconds later, an audible BANG! echoed upward.

Maxi had landed.

"Hey guys!" he called up, cupping his hands around his mouth as he stepped backward into their view. "Your turn! That was SO much fun! Clean landing and everything!"

"That didn't sound so clean!" Hwang challenged.

"I'd like to see you do better!" Maxi retorted, unmistakable laughter in his voice.

"Alright then! You're on!"

Kilik found himself speechless as Hwang hoisted himself onto the banister. What in the name of everything green had he gotten himself into?

"See you in a few minutes?" Hwang asked, turning on the railing to set his gaze on Kilik.

"S-Sure," Kilik replied, forcing a weak smile.

A slight push and Hwang was off, flying down the banister at unimaginable speeds.

Deciding NOT to watch this time, Kilik began a little mental preparation.

"I CAN do this, I CAN do this, I CAN do this," he repeated the line over and over like a mantra. An audible THUMP! greeted his ears, signaling Hwang's arrival.

It was his turn.

After a slight discussion below had taken place (more than likely over who's landing was cleaner. as if it mattered - they were both alive, wasn't that what mattered?) Maxi and Hwang turned their gazes upward.

"Let's go, Kilik! Time's a tickin!" Maxi's voice echoed up the stairs.

Kilik gulped as he jumped up onto the banister, hanging his legs inward and turning slightly. Well, he thought, here goes nothing.

And without further thought, gave himself a small shove to begin his decent into madness.

The first turn was relatively smooth, his speed at a comfortable pace. Kilik relaxed a little. Maybe this wasn't so bad after all.

Suddenly, the air was forced from his lungs as he began the second curve, the railing dipping dramatically and causing his speed to triple.

Kilik's entire body tensed as he forced himself to maintain balance.

He WOULD finish this stupid slide, even if it killed him!

And currently, the odds of that were in his favor.

Rounding the third turn, Kilik watched from nearly closed eyes. Everything was rushing by so quickly it appeared to stream in his vision. Another dip in the rail and he felt himself speed up again, the wind whipping at his face and hair.

If it was at all possible, Kilik swore he had broken the sound barrier at that very instant.

The fourth turn tested his balance, the centrifugal force of the curve threatening to pull him off sideways and toss him onto the ground six floors below.

Gritting his teeth against the speed, Kilik exited the fourth curve and entered the fifth. Nothing was recognizable now; the world was simply a blur with him at the center, proceeding at break-neck speed.

Finally, Kilik entered the sixth and final spiral. That was it! He had done it! The cool air streamed through his hair as he came out of the final turn. His eyes could vaguely make out his friends in the distance, their mouths open and arms waving as if trying to alert him to something.

Time seemed to slow down. Confused, Kilik glanced down the remainder of the railing he was fast-approaching and saw.

A large wooden ball planted at the end of the banister, its shiny surface reflecting the lights and blocking exit he had planned on taking.

In a flash, time caught up and with a scream of agony, Kilik felt his leg crash into the cursed wooden ornament, violently jerking him off the railing, throwing him down the few remaining steps and onto the floor below.

Pain washed up his leg, throbbing like fire as he lay curled up on the floor.

Hearing footsteps, Kilik shot a pain-filled glance up at his 'friends.'

"Kilik?" Hwang yelled, "Are you okay?"

"It hurts."

"Okay, we know," Maxi replied in a concerned voice, glancing around the room.

"Big ball."

"Yes, we um, sort of forgot to tell you about that," Hwang mumbled, turning his face away to stare in the same direction Maxi was.

Before Kilik could think of a logical response, he heard another pair of footsteps stop beside him. Turning slightly, arms wrapped around his aching leg, his gaze met a pair of eyes that clearly said: 'Yes, I'm worried, but you got what was coming to you."

Xianghua.

"Xingy. ifs no mit fal." his voice trailed off as a strange blackness filled his vision, blocking out all senses and making him feel extremely sleepy.

The last words he remembered hearing where those of a distressed Maxi.

"MEDIC! WE NEED A MEDIC!!!"