Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Patriot's Burning Soul

by Mina

Hwang stood facing Seung Mina, holding a bag of clothes over his shoulder, his sword in its sheath at his hip. She looked sad in response to what he'd just said.

"You're leaving?" asked Mina, as if she hadn't already been told.

"Yes," Hwang replied. It bothered him to be leaving, but he knew he had to. To save Korea, protect his homeland. As they stood there in silence, Hwang allowed himself to think of the memories he'd shared with Mina. Images flashed across his mind.

Mina smiling down at him when they'd fought and she'd won. She had always helped him up after knocking him down (and he had done the same when the tables were reversed). Hwang had been grateful for the opportunity to touch Mina, in even that small way.

He say Mina training with the Zanba-to at dusk, the sun setting over her slender frame. Hwang had wanted to go to her and pull her in his arms.

He saw Mina helping him home after his fight with Inferno. Her deep brown eyes filled with worry.

He saw her and thought about her constantly. She had never given any indication that she ever thought about him as more than a friend. Now she stood before him in the doorway she'd just walked through to come in and the one he'd planned to leave through.

"Why? Why must you go now?" asked Mina, sadly.

"I must to protect this country," Hwang shifted his weight. A silent pause passed between them. "Please excuse me," Hwang said. Mina was blocking the doorway, but at his words she moved to the side, her head down. As he sauntered past her, he knew something was wrong. Hwang did his best to push the feeling aside but Mina spoke.

"Hwang?"

"Yes?" he turned to look back at her.

Mina looked as if she were ready to cry, which shocked Hwang. He had never seen her cry. No matter if she'd lost a brutal fight or been injured, she never cried.

"Please. don't. go." Mina said, her voice trailing off. She swallowed and then she forced herself to look him in the eye. "Hwang. I. love you."

The confession stunned Hwang. She'd never shown it, and it occurred to him that she didn't know how to.

But there she stood, looking at him. Hwang set his bag down and stepped closer to her. Mina walked forward and put her arms around him, hugging him. Hwang hugged her back. He loved her. He knew he did. He hated hurting her, but he knew he had to go. In a moment of weakness, he pulled back lightly and looked at Mina, her eyes sad. Then he kissed her as he'd wanted to for so long. He wanted to hold her and never let go. But he did. He stepped back from her, his heart ached. Wordlessly, he picked up his bag and turned to look at Mina one last time. Her eyes were full of sorrow, a pain that touched her soul. Hwang turned and steeled his nerves and walked slowly away. He didn't turn back to see if Mina was watching him leave. He had made his choice, to give his life protecting Korea.

Seung Mina stood, watching him walk away. She knew he loved her, but she also knew his loyalty to his country was strong. And now it would separate them. She walked into the dojo, into Hwang's room. Nothing was there. All of his possessions were gone. Something on the bed caught Mina's eye. She reached for it and discovered it was a handkerchief. She though Hwang must have accidentally left it, but when she picked it up, a piece of paper fell out of it. Mina opened the slip of paper and immediately recognized Hwang's writing.

Would I die tomorrow, My soul would still remember you.

It wasn't signed, but Mina knew it was for her. She tucked the paper in a drawer by the bed and then crossed the room and went outside, picking up her Zanba-to on the way.

Hwang hastily filled out the enrollment forms for the Coastal Defense Force of Korea. He hesitated before signing it at the bottom. He pushed his thoughts away and scribbled his name on the line, picked up his bag and boarded a battle ship that would patrol the coast of Korea. He walked to his small room and put his belongings down. The small bed was cold and uninviting. Hwang walked to the deck and the boat began to pull out. He looked towards the horizon of the ocean, but something told him he should look back. He turned around and saw Mina standing at the shore line holding her Zanba-to. He looked at her, taking in her appearance. In her hand was a small cloth he recognized to be his handkerchief and he was glad she found his note. They looked at each other, the gap of water widening between them.

When they were well away and Hwang could no longer see her face clearly, he heard the sound of a woman crying softly. It seemed impossible that he could hear her, but he did. As the boat turned around the corner, he knew that he'd think of Mina and continue loving her. No matter how far he went with the CDF he would see her, hear her voice. And the sound of her soft crying would remain in his ears.