Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

The Wieght of a Mirror

by Mina

Kilik was running. He ran through the woods as branches scratched at his arms and face. He ran until the forest became a blur. He wanted to outrun the fears and worries that plagued his mind and heart. Exhausted, he finally sat down under the shade of a large oak tree. Crying softly, he put his head in his hands. He wiped tears away and then caught sight of his reflection, in the mirror.

The Dvapara-yuga, a constant reminder to him of his contaminated soul, blemished by the Soul Edge. He was forever chained to the mirror, it was the only thing that kept him sane. It sat like a dead weight on his shoulder, a burdern he must always carry. He looked at his reflection. Kilik thought he looked wild and miserable. His eyes were swollen from crying, his face scratched. He noted that his hair was unruly and he didn't even think he looked human.

Although the mirror reminded him of his past, what bothered him the most was his feelings for Xianghua. Xingy. Xingy, his friend with a pure soul and innocent spirit. Kilik closed his eyes and leaned his head on the tree behind him.

He pictured his beloved Xianghua. Her kind smile, short hair and wide, vibrant brown eyes. She seemed to radiate purity and love. Everything she did captured his attention and his heart. Kilik opened his eyes and felt the mirror dig into his back. His reminder. It was his own tainted soul that would keep them apart. He could never tell her how much he loved her, thought about her. She deserved someone with a pure heart and unblemished soul. New tears formed in his eyes.

An image popped into his mind of Xianghua, training with the Krita-yuga. She had yelled at an imaginary opponent, slicing the air expertly with her sword. Her hair was swirling about her face, her thin body arched with the exertion of her fight.

A tear rolled down his cheek as he recalled how he'd watched her. The tear hit metal with a small plink sound. Kilik looked down at what was in his hand.

The Kali-Yuga, his rod, which was also contaminated by the Evil Seed. His hand was soaked in the blood of Xianglian, his sworn sister. His face held the mark of the terror he'd seen. His scar was red and it also served as a reminder of his past.

Kilik didn't try to fight his tears and the mirror, rod, and scar seemed to taunt him as he thought of Xianghua. His love. The mirror and rod seemed heavier than he remembered as he stood up looking around through teary, anguished eyes. He looked at his weapon. It had pierced his sworn sister's heart and in a few minutes would pierce his own. He held the rod out in front of him and thought of Xianghua. Her smile, her face. Kilik closed his eyes and raised his weapon, still thinking.

Xingy.

***********

Xianghua put her sword down and sighed. Something happened. A pain in her chest suddenly made her have to sit down until she could regain her breath. The pain throbbed like fire but gradually subsided to a dull ache. A wave of sadness hit her, and she felt as if a part of her soul was missing. And without fully knowing why, she burst into tears.