Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Chapter 5: The Path Back to the Heart


By White Luster Soldier

8:00am forest near the Power Station

Draco had fallen into the trees and crashed into the ground. There he lay, panting and unconscious. The armor had again faded into his body. The wound that the lion-monster had caused had regenerated, but still Draco had lost a lot of blood, and was also mentally exhausted. Then his natural abilities took over. The wind started blowing through the trees. Suddenly, many animals were slowly approaching Draco. Rabbits, wolves, deer, foxes, and the like all crowded as close to Draco as they could get. A soft yellow light flowed from the creatures into Draco and a soft green light was emanating from the trees, enveloping Draco in a warm glow. Slowly, Draco opened his eyes. He looked around and saw the animals. “I… I thank you kind creatures, “ he rasped out, “but I can’t accept any more. You must live on and not sacrifice yourselves like this. I’ll be fine.” The rabbits twitched their ears and one started sniffing at his mouth. Then the deer nuzzled his cheek. “What are you trying to tell me?” asked Draco. The wolf walked over and just looked in his eyes. It was a warm, loving look. Suddenly flashes of memories long forgotten coursed through Draco. “I understand now. You’re saying that feelings are vital to life, that I shouldn’t be afraid of them.” The wolf threw its head up and howled. Then, it licked Draco’s face. All the animals left as Draco fell asleep.

8:50am

Mina was looking in the same forest when she heard the howl. All the scouts had agreed to look for Draco in the direction he headed. They had spread out to search. They knew it was risky to split up, but they needed to find Draco as soon as possible. Mina started running toward the sound, hoping against hope that Draco was all right. She had just entered the clearing where Draco had landed in time to see the animals rushing off from the outskirts of the forest. “Draco!” Shouted Mina as she knelt beside him. Cradling him in her arms she asked, “are you all right!” There was no answer from Draco. Mina pulled out her communicator. “Everybody, I’ve found Draco. We’re in a clearing about a mile west of the power station, I’m activating the homing system so you can all find us.” She looked at Draco. He seemed all right, he was fast asleep. Strangely enough, there was a peaceful smile on his face.

9:30am, Hikagawa shrine.

It took all the scouts to sneak Draco into the temple. It wasn’t merely Grandpa Hino they were worried about; it was any visitors that were there. It would have been suspicious if all five girls led him there. So, much to Mina’s reluctance, Rei carried him in by herself. Grandpa Hino was surprised at the Sight of Draco, and even more surprised when Rei set up the bed in front of the sacred fire. But he sensed that Rei had a good reason to do so. There was something about that boy that told Grandpa Hino that the sacred fire was the only thing that could cure him. Rei set up the bed and lay Draco down on it. Then she signaled the other scouts in. “The only thing we can do is wait.” Said Rei. “Rei?” Mina began. “What is it?’ asked Rei. “Can I… um… can I sleep over tonight? I want to be here when he wakes up.” “Sure.”

10:00am, the next day.

Rei had been outside doing her chores for about two hours now, but Mina was still inside. She had stayed up half the night watching over Draco. She fell had fallen asleep in her chair with her head on Draco’s chest. Rei had just smiled and walked off at that time. Just now though Draco began to stir. During the night, the sacred fire had been replenishing his energy. Now, he felt better than ever. He opened his eye and looked at the still sleeping Mina. Suddenly an image crossed his mind. It was only for a second, and he couldn’t quite make it out. “Oh, well” he though. “Regardless what happens, I’m going to follow the advice that the animals gave me.” He lightly ran his fingers through Mina’s long blond hair. She kind of gave off a small groan a she awoke. She sat up, rubbed her eyes, and then looked over at the now sitting Draco. “Good morning Mina” He said. “Thank you for staying with me all night. You really are kind.” “Draco! You’re all better!” said Mina. “Yes, I am. I guess I have you sailor scouts to thank for that.” He stood up and stretched, then he bowed to the sacred fire. “Thank you for lending me your strength.” The Sacred Fire flared up in response. “Do you feel up for a date?” Draco asked Mina. “What!” Exclaimed Mina. She was shocked to say the least. Here was he guy who had been stone cold for the past week, and suddenly he asks to go on a date? She was hoping against hope that he was sincere. “I’ll understand if you say no. I have been a real jerk ever since I got here.” “I don’t mind at all! Said Mina happily. “I’d love to go!” “Alright, it’s settled. Let’s go!” Draco said, smiling.

11:00am, the shopping district

Mina and Draco were strolling in the park talking about his sudden change in attitude. “Let’s just say I have been shown the mistakes of the recent past.” Draco was telling Mina. “I haven’t been able to defeat the Dark Moon because I wasn’t using the proper tools. Namely the emotions I sealed away centuries ago. The wolf showed me that.” “Was it the wolf that I saw when I found you?” “Probably.” Replied Draco. They sat down on the bench, over looking the ocean. Draco put his arm around Mina, who gladly snuggled close. “What was it like, living as stars?” Mina inquired. “It was like a continuous dream, only I felt very hot the whole time, like a fever. Got very boring after a while. So I started training in my dreams. I also created my armor and stored it in my pendant.” Said Draco. “I’m just glad to be here now” Then Draco changed the subject. “I’m starving, wanna get something to eat?” “Sure!” They walked off, holding hands.

12:45pm, Restaurant

Mina was having a wonderful time. They had stopped at her favorite restaurant, a real fancy place, where you can get served and everything. She had gotten two large sushi platters, while Draco gotten three orders of steamed dumplings. They just chatted while sharing everything. It seemed like Draco was having the time of his life. While they chatted, Draco had to have laughed more times in those two hours than he had in the past week. After they ate, Draco paid the bill and said, “Let’s go shopping.”

3:00pm Shopping district

Mina and Draco were walking along a strip mall, window-shopping. They had been at it for about 20 minutes and already Mina had found out that Draco was as big a shopoholic as Serena. Mina had to giggle every time that Draco pulled her arm to go look at something. But turnabout was fair play as Mina did her share of arm pulling. Draco was very interested in some of the weapon shops, but to his disappointment, his apparent age and lack of ID prevented him from holding any of it. There was one particular sword that caught his eyes. It was a lovely piece of work, with an intricate silver handle, and a blade that was just the right size, with a design carved into it. “It’s not fair that I couldn’t hold it” growled Draco as they left the store. Mina giggled. “Hey, Look over here” she shouted. She dragged Draco over to the Jewelry store, owned by Molly’s mother. In the window, she found a beautiful gold necklace. “Oh, my god! It’s fantastic! Look at this Draco!” Draco finally got to see what she was so excited about. It was thin and elegant with a topaz inset in the middle of two smaller onyx stones. Just seeing her so excited was making him happy. “She deserves this.” He thought. “Let’s go in” he said. “Wait! We couldn’t afford anything in here! She protested, but Draco dragged her in anyway. “Can I help you?” Molly’s mother came up to them. Then she saw Mina. “Oh! Hello Mina, who’s your friend? “This is… Mina thought for a moment, “Gado.” Draco cocked an eyebrow at Mina, but Molly’s mom didn’t notice. “yes, you can you help us.” Draco said coolly, “How much is that Topaz and Onyx necklace that was in the window?” “I’m sorry I don’t think you can afford it” said Molly’s mother, with a sorrowful expression on her face. “This guy must surely love Mina to ask a question like that” She thought.” “Don’t be so sure” replied Draco, “How much?” “It costs around $1,500” she stated. Draco fished around in his backpack and pulled out two wads of cash, all hundred-dollar bills. Both Mina’s and Molly’s mother’s eyes were like dinner plates. Draco handed one pack over to Molly’s mother, cut the second pack in half and gave that to her also, stuffing the other half back into his backpack. “Gift wrap it” Draco said. But Molly’s mother was busy holding up the bills to the light. “I understand your skepticism, but I can assure you, they’re real. Now I’m sorry, but we’re in a hurry.” Molly sighed and readied the necklace. As Mina and Draco walked out the store, Mina asked, “How did you get all that money?” When I first came to earth I knew I would need the cash for something. In short, I spent the first night participating in street fights, after I took care of that dirty cop, of course. I built up a lot just in that one night.” Why did you waste it on me? I’m sure it could have been used to help you.” “I don’t view it as a waste. You’re such a beautiful girl. You deserve it, and I wanted to give it too you.” With that he took out the necklace and placed it around Mina’s neck. “No one’s ever done this for me before, I’m not sure I do deserve this.” Mina looked down, tears forming in her eyes. Draco lifted her chin and moved closer. “You deserve everything.” He whispered as they kissed, a long slow kiss. As they broke apart their eyes met and they both smiled “Let’s go home. The others are probably worried sick about us, Mina said, “Besides, I think now’s the best time to finally defeat the Dark Moon once and for all, together.” “Agreed.”

5:00pm Hikagawa shrine

“Hello? Anybody home?” Mina called into the temple. “That’s funny, we should be having a meeting right now.” “uuuughhhhnnn” groaned a voice in the hall. Both Mina and Draco rushed there. Poor Grandpa Hino was just lying there, on the ground, all bruised and banged up. “Hino!” exclaimed Draco. “Are you Gado?” gasped Grandpa Hino as he turned over. Draco nodded. “Rei, Serena, Lita, Amy… they’ve all been kidnapped! It was a horrid black monster. It said to tell you to go to Tokyo Tower at midnight. I tried to stop…” Grandpa Hino passed out. “Take him to Juubon Hospital. I’m going to end this war. If you would like come only when you know Hino’s going to make it. Draco knelt in front of the sacred flame. “Give me the strength” He whispered. For five hours, he knelt motionless. And then he rose up and walked out the temple. He stopped under the gate and looked up to the sky at the moon, which had turned red. “Hmm, there’s blood on the moon. Dark Moon, it will be your blood the stains the ground. This war… ends tonight!”

Next chapter:
Endgame, Sacrifice