Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Chapter 9: Ookami's Weakness

By Becca

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
One week later...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Duo sighed as he walked a dark street on Earth. Snow fell and covered the ground with its white blanket. All around him were street lamps and dirty streets. In allies, homeless people and street urchins slept with little or no cover.
Duo felt pity for the young war orphans who slept on the street. He remembered when he was one of them- stealing food and annoying people. People thinking he was nothing and having no pity on him; they'd just walk past with their noses turned in the air.
He put his hands in his pockets and made himself not think of Father Maxwell and Sister Helen- his only family. He reminded himself that it would make him want to cry, and boys don't cry.
'Fools, that's what they were. Father Maxwell preaching peace, and Sister Helen beside him... Fools...' he thought before trying to block it out of his mind.
One hot tear ran down his cheek, but he quickly lowered his head and wiped it away.
"Aww, poor thing," Jean mocked from in front of him.
He lifted his head to see her in a black jacket, blue jeans, and white ear muffs. She was smiling at him, showing her "fang".
"What do you want?" Duo asked angrily.
"Why, only to do what my mission is, Shimigami; kill you."
Duo smirked as he crossed his arms.
"Don't you know- you can't kill me. I made a deal with death and now I am Shimigami. A mere wolf cannot destroy me," he mocked.
"Ah, yes, but I've made my own deals," Jean stated smiling.
"Talk all you want, but you cannot kill me- I am the god of death," Duo stated with his trademark smirk.
"We shall see," Jean stated with her own smirk and charged for him.
Duo moved out of the way and hit her in the back. She jumped back up and kicked him in the stomach, causing him to double over. She then kicked his legs out from under him.
"Cheap shot!" Duo exclaimed.
Jean only smirked as she took out a gun. Duo jumped up and hit her in the side. Jean's eyes widened as she fell over. She took a deep breath in pain before passing out.
Duo's eyes widened in amazement. Jean was much stronger than that; she wouldn't fall in just one hit. Duo looked to his hand and was horrified to see it was covered with blood.
He kneeled down cautiously in case it was a trick. He noticed a deep red spot in her black coat. He unzipped it and lifted up the dark purple shirt underneath. He was amazed to find that the spot where he had hit her was bleeding almost without resistance.
"That's-...that's just not natural..." he whispered horrified.
Duo stood up and tried to decide what to do. He should just leave her there and let her die; then he wouldn't have to worry about her anymore, just Kitsune. But something inside him told him that doing that would be inhumane and cruel. Even if he didn't love Jean when they had gone out, he had cared for her a lot.
Duo let out a long sigh as he picked her up. To his amazement, she was very light.
"You had better appreciate this one Jean; I should just leave you to die," he stated angrily.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A few hours later, Jean awoke to find herself in a warm bed in a nice hotel. Beside her bed in a chair was Duo reading a Sailor Moon magna.
Jean reached for her gun, but found it to be missing. Without looking up, Duo held up her gun and let all the bullets fall from it.
Jean screamed and cursed at him angrily, but grimaced when she tried to move.
"That's nice to tell someone who saved you," Duo stated putting down the magna and gun and looking at her.
"Oh, do you expect me to thank you for your service?" Jean asked angrily.
"Nope," Duo answered smiling.
"Then why'd you save me?" Jean answered angrily.
"Well, I didn't feel right leaving you in the streets to slowly freeze and bleed to death. And what's with that spot?" Duo asked pointing towards her side.
"That's none of your business!" Jean exclaimed angrily.
Duo sighed as he ran his hand through his hair.
"Look Jean, I don't have to be the bad guy here; we don't have to be enemies. How about we try and be allies," Duo suggested.
Jean spat in Duo's face. Duo wiped it away and stated disgusted, "Lovely."
Jean smirked as she sat back and answered, "I'm glad you liked it."
"Jean, why is that spot in your body like that?" Duo asked again.
"Do you really want to know?" Jean asked quietly and almost innocently.
'Now we're getting somewhere!' Duo thought happily.
"Yes," Duo answered sincerely.
"Come closer," Jean whispered.
Duo obliged and moved in closer.
"No, closer," Jean whispered softer.
Duo moved in so he was sitting on the bed.
"Just a little closer," Jean whispered again.
Duo sighed and moved to where his face was practically touching her's.
Jean smiled at him and opened her mouth as if she was about to tell. Then she kicked him in between his legs very hard. Duo's eyes bulged as he fell off the bed holding where she kicked. Jean jumped up cringing and stepped on his stomach. Before walking out she stated, "You fool! That'll teach you to ask questions that you shouldn't be!"
Duo very slowly sat up still in major pain.
"That ungrateful... uh! MAN! Why did I even bother to save her?! Oh... she's beyond cruel!" he whispered painfully before falling back.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A few days later, Jean stood before Z, awaiting his judgment. He hadn't heard from Rebecca since he killed her father, and hoped that she was dead. Jean, on the other hand, had been failing her missions many times making him very irritable.
"You good for nothing! Those pilots should be like children!" he chided angrily.
"I am sorry," Jean whispered, her head down.
"You need to pay for your failure," he whispered, holding up his hand.
Jean kept her head low as Z slapped her. She stood emotionless and rigid, waiting for him to do his business and be done with her.
He pushed her and asked angrily, "Why don't you cry?!"
"That would give you pleasure," she stated with no emotion.
"You little-" he growled and hit her in the side.
Jean fell to the ground in pain, holding her once again open skin. She grimaced and made herself not cry. Z walked angrily out of the room and slammed the door.
Jean slowly stood up, holding her exposed area. She had learned from years of experience and Z beating her that the one of the ways he got pleasure was to scream and cry, just like when she was little.
Jean laid down on her bed after mending her side and sighed as she remembered.
She hadn't had any parents; she had been on the streets since she could remember. She had been taken in by a young woman named Cookie who abused her in many ways. One day she had been wandering when had been about 10, and Z had found her. He hadn't treated her any better, so Jean became bitter at life. Both Cookie and Z hit her in the same place in her side, causing it to become tender and vulnerable to attacks. She hated all people and trusted no one. Anyone she trusted hurt her.
Jean sniffed trying not to cry. She got up and started to pace, trying to block out her past. She didn't want to remember her past; she didn't want to face and deal with it. Jean wanted to forget everything and be free. She didn't want what she had to do when she was younger haunt her anymore; she just wanted to be allowed to live a life that she wanted- not a life that others wanted her to live.
Jean walked into the area with the two gundams. The warehouse looked empty without the gundam Kitsune. Jean sighed almost feeling a little strange knowing that Rebecca was probably dead. She was the closest thing Jean ever had to a friend, but Jean never let them be friends.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
AC 194
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Ookami!" Z called loudly.
Jean stuck out her head from her gundam cockpit. She immediately jumped down and stood before Z.
"Yes sir?" she asked.
"We have a new pilot- this is Rebecca Cameron Willington, code name Kitsune, the fox," he stated and moved out of the way.
Behind him stood an emotionless fourteen year old. Her long brown hair was about mid back, and she had almost cold green gray eyes. She wore blue jeans and a green long sleeved shirt.
Jean and her looked each other up and down, examining the competition.
"I'm Jean, code name Ookami, the wolf," Jean finally stated.
Rebecca nodded and smiled before turning towards Z.
"Where will my place of residence be at?" she asked quietly. Her voice was full of intelligence and wisdom.
"Ookami will show you where it is. There is a computer in there so you can do your work," Z stated.
Rebecca nodded and turned towards Jean.
"Will you please show me?" she asked.
Jean nodded and led Rebecca back. Rebecca almost became looser and started making conversation. The one thing that freaked Jean out about her was the fact that she made no noise at all while moving.
"So, is Z your first scientist?" she asked.
"Yes, of course. Why would I have more than one?" Jean asked skeptically.
"Well, he's my... fifth one I think," Rebecca answered simply.
"Five different scientists?! Why?" Jean asked angrily.
"I've been trained since I was five years old... I'm supposed to be the perfect soldier when it comes to everything except fighting. One scientist will kill another to have me be their pilot," she stated with no sign of bragging in her voice.
"Well la de da," Jean stated waving a finger in the air.
"Jean, can we be friends? You know, so things won't be so hard?" Rebecca asked quietly.
"No. We are partners, yes. But we are also rivals, and I do not trust my rival," Jean stated coldly.
"But,"
"Here's your "place of residence" fox girl. Stay out of my way if you know what is good for you," Jean stated and left angrily.
Rebecca sighed as she walked in her room without a sound and closed the door.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jean sighed as she lay on her bed again, wiping her bangs from her eyes.
'My life is so messed up. The only thing I have to live for is this dumb war... I wish Duo had killed me- then I wouldn't be stuck in this underworld that I call life. Even Rebecca is better than me; she's been able to keep her dignity after thirteen years of training, and she's also dead which makes her free. That lucky fox...
'SNAP OUT OF IT OOKAMI! YOU HAVE A WAR TO FIGHT!!!' Jean thought angrily.
She stood up and walked to her gundam. She left a note to Z saying she was fulfilling all failed missions and took off in her gundam.
'I live a life of sorrows, and I always will. I might as well accept it and move on,' she thought simply.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~