Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

Chapter 6: Sad Reunion

By Becca

A few weeks later, Heero, Quatre, Duo, Trowa, and Wufei all sat around a round table in a secluded hotel. After greetings and some small talk, Wufei got right to the point.
"Have all of you been recruited by someone who calls himself by Z?" he asked.
All the others nodded as Duo stated, "Yeah, but why did you guys agree to it? I mean, I have a reason."
"What do you mean? I was told I was being used to help stop a war," Quatre stated sadly. On his vest he wore the yellow rose from Rebecca.
"I was told I was fighting for justice," Wufei stated angrily.
"To stop a war," Heero and Trowa stated at the same time.
"But... he made me fight because he was holding an innocent person I knew captive!" Duo exclaimed.
All the guys exchanged glances uneasily. They were never too keen on the idea of fighting, and with three different reasons being used, none of them felt too good about this guy.
"What do you know about Ookami and Kitsune, the new pilots?" Heero asked breaking the silence.
"Kitsune is Rebecca," Quatre and Trowa stated at the same time.
Wufei groaned knowing now that both new pilots were women.
The two exchanged glances and Quatre asked, "When did you meet her?"
"My first mission was to kill her- instead, she nearly killed me." Trowa answered with his arms crossed and looking out the window.
"How did you get out?" Duo asked.
"She can't pull the trigger of a gun- at all. Her hands start shaking, and she goes pale. For some reason she emotionally can't take it."
Quatre nodded and said, "I know. I've known Rebecca since we were about... oh... five or six. She has a strong Christian faith."
"Then what is she doing as a pilot if she can't pull a gun?" Wufei muttered.
"Well, do you know anything about them?" Duo asked angrily.
"Yes, as a matter of fact I do. Ookami is a woman as well, and her name is Jean." Wufei answered smugly.
Duo's heart stopped as he turned white.
"Blue eyes?" he asked quickly.
"Yes," Wufei answered annoyed.
"Blonde hair in a ponytail to mid back?"
"Yes..."
"Howls before she does something?"
"...Yes..."
"Fang like incisor teeth?"
"Yes,... Duo, how-" Wufei started.
Duo banged his head against the table whispering, "Stupid, stupid, stupid."
"What? Is she your girlfriend or something?" Quatre asked raising an eyebrow.
"Yes! She's the only reason I agreed to fight! Z said he had her!"
"He does," Trowa answered.
"Wha?" the other four asked.
"Rebecca asked me if Z gave me orders, and said I didn't understand what was going on so, we couldn't be allies." Trowa answered calmly.
"There goes teaming up with them..." Quatre whispered softly.
"Well, nothing makes sense to me," Wufei stated crossing his arms.
"What do you mean?" Duo asked.
"We work for the same man as those onnas. Wouldn't he put us with them to fight whoever Battre ou Touer is?" Wufei asked.
"Wait a minute- what if Z is Battre ou Touer, and Kitsune and Ookami are their pilots?" Quatre asked.
"But then why have us fight to stop Battre ou Touer and kill their pilots?" Duo asked.
"This man sounds like he some complicated plan in his head that'll only work if all the pieces fall together," Trowa stated.
"But what is his plan? That's what's really important," Heero added.
"Do you think he's like Oz or White Fang?" Duo asked.
"No... because his only troops seem to be the two pilots," Trowa stated sitting back.
"This just isn't making any sense. Should we fight Kitsune and Ookami or try to be friends with them?" Quatre asked.
"Well, Rebecca did you say her name was- doesn't seem like too much of a problem if she can't shoot a gun. The next time one of sees her we should be able to stop her pretty easily," Wufei stated sitting back as well.
"Don't underestimate her Wufei- she could out think us all," Quatre whispered barely audible.
"No, Wufei, we wouldn't be able to catch her if we saw her," Trowa stated with his eyes closed.
"Why?" Wufei asked suspiciously.
"She makes no sound when she walks," Heero stated as Trowa nodded.
"So, if we see her-" Wufei started.
"She'd see you before you saw her. She was able to dodge my bullet when I fired at her, and I was at least fifty feet away. She doesn't use force to stop people- she uses intellect. In a way, she is more powerful than Ookami," Trowa explained.
"Don't be too quick to say anything about Ookami," Quatre stated standing up, "she's very strong as well. She packs a punch that all five of us might match- maybe even be stronger."
"She's almost not human," Wufei agreed as Duo looked away sadly.
He sighed remembering how much he was starting to care about her. Unfortunately, it seemed that maybe Duo was meant to be alone since all the women he liked ended up fighting him.
'I just can't win,' Duo thought sadly.
"So, what do we do about them?" Duo asked softly.
"I say we eliminate them before they eliminate us. That would probably end whatever Z is starting," Wufei stated.
"Or make it worse," Heero corrected.
"I don't think we should attack them unless they attack us first," Quatre offered.
"Quatre, we may have to kill Rebecca, even if she doesn't attack us. She's our enemy now," Wufei reminded him.
"But she's not my enemy. In fact, she saved me from Ookami twice," Quatre stated almost angrily.
"What?" Wufei asked.
"Yes, one day Ookami attacked me, and she defended me. Ookami called her a traitor, and she said she would get in big trouble," Quatre added.
"That makes things more complicated. Do they just pick and choose or what?" Duo half asked himself.
"Did she say why she saved you?" Wufei asked raising an eyebrow.
"She said it's because we're friends..."
"Then maybe she could be a powerful ally," Wufei stated.
"To Quatre alone," Trowa added.
"So what should we do? What if we're told to destroy each other?" Duo asked.
"We don't-" Quatre started.
"No, that won't work; Z'll notice," Heero stated sitting back.
"Don't and say we did," Trowa stated quietly.
"Faking our deaths shouldn't be too hard," Heero stated quietly.
"And them?" Quatre asked.
"If it's my mission, I will destroy them," Heero answered simply.
Trowa and Wufei nodded in agreement.
Quatre sighed and looked away sadly. He understood that Heero and the others had to do what they had to; he just hoped that maybe Rebecca would allow them to be allies, too. Maybe with her on their side they'd have an edge or know what Z was up to.
"I say we meet again in a few months and discuss information," Wufei suggested.
Everyone nodded in agreement and cleared out the room.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
One Week Later...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Duo sighed as he looked out in space. He still couldn't get over the fact that Jean was Ookami. Jean had been strong, but not as strong as Quatre and Wufei described her. And she wasn't malicious or even that mean. She had a sweet and kind heart and loved to have fun.
'Maybe it's a different Jean. There's plenty of people that look like her in the world,' he thought while looking at the stars.
Suddenly, Duo heard a long howl. He slowly turned to see Jean's gundam charging towards him. Taking a deep breath, he opened up a link to her gundam.
"Jean? Jean, is that you? It's Duo."
Jean's face appeared on the screen, taking off her hat.
"Darn, so everyone knows, huh?" she asked annoyed.
"Jeannie, why didn't you mention this?" Duo asked angrily.
"Because, it was on a need to know basis. You didn't need to know," she answered smugly and crossing her arms.
"Do you work for Z too?" Duo asked.
"Duo, we're on different sides- my mission is to kill you. Do you think I'm going to tell you who I'm working for?" she asked smirking, showing her fang like tooth.
"Jean, come on," Duo started.
"Look Duo, it's nothing personal. I thought you were a great guy and one heck of a kisser, but business is business. No hard feelings!" Jean stated saluting to him and cutting off the communication link.
"Jean!" Duo exclaimed angrily as she charged for him.
A long battled raged, Duo trying to defend himself, but never attacking.
"ATTACK ME!" Jean ordered an hour later.
"No! We should be on the same side!" Duo exclaimed then thinking sarcastically, 'Great! Now I sound like Quatre!''
"FINE! I WILL DESTROY YOU! I AM OOKAMI!" Jean screamed and slashed at him.
Duo sighed as he evaded most of the attacks. Finally, something inside of him snapped. He felt himself almost lose his sanity as he charged forward.
"FINE!! NO ONE SHALL DEFEAT ME! I AM SHIMIGAMI- THE GOD OF DEATH!" Duo bellowed as he attacked her.
An hour later, Duo was slashing angrily at Jean as she tried to get away.
"Duo-... you're strong..." she whispered amazed.
"I am Shimigami," Duo whispered in an almost unearthly voice smiling.
"Yes, but you will not claim this soul," Jean whispered as she turned on a stealth mode similar to Duo's.
Duo could detect her and saw her flying away on his radar, but for some reason, he wouldn't attack her.
As soon as she disappeared off radar, Duo took in a shaky breath and came back to reality. He sighed as he rubbed his head annoyed.
"And she seemed so nice... Oh well, what's done is done- we are over. If we are enemies, then I will fight her. I won't sacrifice my life for a worthless fling. To stop a war, I will become the god of death again," he whispered as he blasted deeper into space.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~