Author: Thanks to Piccolo0714 and the rest of you for reviewing my story. School picks up again on Monday, so I might not be able to update and write as I often as I like. As a senior, they like to pile on the homework. Hope you enjoy the new chapter!

 

Chapter 8

 

The work is now done

There is no more to do

Except to embrace death and trust in Earth.

 

A month had passed, in which the time was spent following the schedule Kyloa had first laid out. Krillin had been eliminated about two weeks after they had begun. He was not strong enough to maintain control over Fire, which was the toughest element and he wasn’t communicating well with his dragon, Jib. So Kyloa had ordered him to return home and Jib had been absorbed back into the Earth.

The day had finally come. The end of the lessons. Kyloa had given them all the day off yesterday to meditate and reflect. Today Piccolo and Sixteen had to pass the final test. And then finally they would become Chi warriors and begin their real training with Goku and Gohan.

Piccolo had hidden himself deep within the forest so he could meditate without any disturbances. Just before dawn he spotted Kyloa sneaking quietly through the trees. Curious, he followed, ‘til they came upon an impressive waterfall, hidden deep within the forest. Watching, he saw her disappear behind the waterfall, into what must have been a cave. Silently, he alighted to the ground and took up a stance just outside, leaning against an immense rock. The sun was just peaking over the mountains when she appeared again, carrying a small ceramic bottle carefully in her hands.

"So this is where you disappear to when you’re not teaching us," said Piccolo quietly, revealing his presence.

Kyloa jumped, clearly startled, and the bottle slipped out of her fingers. Quick as lightning, Piccolo caught it before it could hit the ground. "Didn’t mean to startle you," apologized Piccolo, handing it back to her.

Kyloa snatched the bottle from his hands, anxious to retrieve it. "It is all right. But I would prefer that you not reveal the location of this place to anyone. It is my home. And so far, no one has discovered I live here. Except for you."

Piccolo scrutinized her. This girl was a puzzle to him. He couldn’t figure her out. "I will not tell anyone. You have my word on that. But tell me. Why do you live in secret, hidden from the rest of civilization?"

Tucking the bottle into her tunic, she replied without meeting his eyes. "I feel safer this way. If no one knows about you, no one can hurt you."

"Well, I know you. And I’m not going to hurt you." Piccolo couldn’t believe those words had just come out of his mouth. He was getting soft.

"Thank you," whispered Kyloa. Turning, she glanced at the sun, which had almost fully risen. "I must get back. There is much to do today."

Piccolo uncrossed his arms and held out his hand for her to take. "I’ll carry you. It’ll be quicker."

Glancing at his hand and than at his face, she shook her head. "I’ll be fine. I can go into the waterfall and the river will lead me straight to the meadow."

Leaning down, Piccolo looked her straight in the eye. "What are you afraid of? Trust me. I won’t drop you."

Having no argument left, Kyloa reluctantly let Piccolo pick her up and fly her back to the others, who were waiting in the center of the meadow. "Where have you been guys?" shouted Goku as they landed. "Today is the big day."

Once again on her own two feet, Kyloa’s reply was calm. "I had to go fetch something. I ran into Piccolo along the way and he gave me a ride back."

Taking a few steps away from the others, she said, "Before we begin anything today, there is something important Dende must do first."

Dende stepped forward and kneeled before Kyloa. "I am ready."

"Good." Kyloa closed her eyes and once again she was aglow as she communicated with her mother. But this time she remained standing, instead of floating. "Dende, you have proven yourself worthy to the Earth and have therefore been given the responsibility of watching over her, of keeping her safe from all evil. Are you ready to accept this position?"

Raising his head, Dende answered, "I am." Raising his left arm, he held out his hand, palm up. Slipping out her knife, Kyloa began carving a symbol upon his hand. Dende did not wince once. Once she was finished, she washed the wound in the river, blessing it. As she blessed it, the wound healed, revealing a tattoo. There was a blood red dot in the center and blue markings surrounding it. Raising his hand, Kyloa showed it to the others. "This is the symbol of Kan, the first guardian. All who see it will know that Dende is the Guardian of the Earth."

Kyloa released his hand, signaling the ritual was over. Gohan ran forward to congratulate him, while Goku cheered and Piccolo smirked. Sixteen remained ever silent. Kyloa, still glowing, went to part of the field she had never gone before and had forbidden the others to go to it. The others followed nervously. There they found a large piece of the meadow stripped of grass and flowers, in the shape of a very large rectangle. She did not stop ‘til she was in the center of it. The dragons watched from rocks nearby, knowing they were not needed at this point in time.

"As your first act as guardian, you will assist me in making these men officially Chi warriors," she announced. Nodding, Dende joined her side, glowing just as she was within moments. "Those who wish to become a Chi warrior, come and kneel before us."

Obeying, Piccolo kneeled in front of Kyloa while Sixteen kneeled in front Dende. "You have proven yourselves well. And now there is only one thing left that you must do. You must have complete faith and trust in me and in the Earth. If you do not, you will die. The chose now is yours. Decide."

It did not take long for either warrior to decide. If they do not do this, there would be nothing to stop Queen Frozena from destroying the Earth and the rest of humanity. Raising their heads, Sixteen and Piccolo both said in unison, "I am ready. Do what you will."

Kyloa gave them one last warning. "As you wish. But squash all of your doubts and fears. Only your faith and trust in us can protect you."

Silently, Kyloa slipped out the little ceramic bottle and took a sip of whatever was inside. Quietly she handed it Dende, who took a sip as well. Without warning, they convulsed, scaring everyone except Goku, who remained calm. Dende suddenly leapt forward, revealing that he had suddenly grown a large set of fangs. Before Sixteen could move, Dende had sunken his teeth into his neck and Sixteen was instantly paralyzed. Piccolo looked towards Kyloa, confused and just a bit afraid. But it was too late. Kyloa was upon him and sinking her teeth into his neck. He could feel a poison slipping into his system, paralyzing him, and slowly, killing him.

Dende and Kyloa pulled away, wiping their mouths. Having gotten rid of all the poison, their fangs disappeared and they returned to normal. Loudly and quickly, they said in unison, "Give in and let thyself slip away. Thou will become lost, but thou will be kept save within her."

Just before he lost consciousness, Piccolo met Kyloa’s eyes, fearing the worse. But her eyes were still composed and kind. "Trust me," she whispered. Closing his eyes, he gave in to the darkness.

Sixteen and Piccolo were dead within seconds. Goku stepped forward and laid out their bodies on the ground. Moments later, they were absorbed into the Earth. Gohan ran forward, totally lost. Niko went trilling to his shoulder, trying to reassure him. "What happened? What did you do to them? Why did you do that to them?"

Goku explained. "Don’t worry, Gohan. I had to go through the same thing. As long as they don’t have any doubts, Piccolo and Sixteen will be reborn by the Earth at sunset and will be just as good as new."

"Are you sure?" asked Gohan.

Skorch gave a smug chirp from Goku’s shoulder. He had watched Goku go through it and knew it wold be all right. Goku smiled. "Of course. Listen to Skorch. I came back, didn’t I? But it is scary at first. You’re lucky you don’t have to go through it, already being born one."

Go Back a Chapter
Go to Next Chapter
Return to THE SHIZEN SAGA