Author: Warning: Tearjerker.

 

Chapter 7

 

A battle ensues

A soul hangs in the balance

What will the outcome be?

 

Queen Frozena smirked and crouched into a fighting stance. "Meant to destroy me? We’ll see about that."

The Sabikan took a fighting stance as well. "So be it."

Suddenly, Vegeta felt a powerful voice fill his head, instantly giving him a pounding headache. Get out of here. Take the others with you. This fight won’t be pretty.

The voice left his head, but the pain still remained. Vegeta snarled, not happy at being told to flee like he was some child. Angrily and roughly, he grabbed Krillin’s arm, than Eighteen’s and flew away at his top speed.

"Vegeta! What are you doing?" cried Krillin.

"Earth-freak over there says we must get at a safe distance. According to him, what’s going to happen next won’t be pretty."

They got away just in time. Sabikan and Frozena left the ground, becoming a blur that no one could keep track of. They met in the air, the resulting boom and energy shockwave nearly knocking Vegeta and his passengers from the air. He sped up, finding a large rock formation that should give them relative protection from any more blasts.

Fists and legs flew and the energy being thrown around by the two fighters left Krillin breathless. Queen Frozena was becoming frustrated as none of her attacks were having any effect. She began throwing energy blasts but that was just as useless. This was not supposed to happen! How is this freak of nature possible? Where is all this power coming from!

Deep inside the head of the Sabikan, five minds came to an agreement. Enough! It is time to finish this! He stopped moving, crossed his arms over his chest, and closed his eyes as he began concentrating. Queen Frozena stopped moving and stared as, abruptly, the Sabikan’s power spiked alarmingly and continued to climb. His aura grew brighter, nearly blinding her, and she suddenly got the feeling that maybe she should flee.

Without warning, his eyes flew open. They glowed as if they were opals, shimmering with a melee of colors. His voice a great force all by itself, he shouted, "ELEMENTAL FORCE!"

Uncrossing his arms, the Sabikan released the most powerful blast that Vegeta, Eighteen, and Krillin had ever seen. It was so bright they were forced to look away, lest they be blinded by it. Queen Frozena tried to get away from it but she wasn’t fast enough. She let out an earsplitting scream as the blast engulfed her and then there was a tumultuous explosion. The rock formation Vegeta and the others were hiding behind collapsed and they themselves were blown away.

When Vegeta, Eighteen, and Krillin were again able to stand, both Queen Frozena and the Sabikan were gone. Hurrying forward to the now decimated battlefield, they discovered Dende, Gohan, Sixteen, Piccolo, and Kyloa lying in various places on the ground, exhausted and unconscious, but alive. Sixteen was the first to come around and, with help from the others, revived Gohan, Dende, Piccolo and Kyloa. Gohan, Dende, and Krillin immediately began dancing around, shouting gleefully, "We did it! We did it!"

Vegeta stared at their antics with contempt and Piccolo just shook his head. He looked away and noticed Kyloa standing alone, away from the group. Her eyes met his and he frowned at what he saw there. Reaching out his senses, Piccolo realized her life energy was too low. As he watched, Kyloa wavered, unsteady on her feet. Dashing forward, he was barely in time to catch her before she hit the ground. He lowered himself gently to the ground, keeping her in his arms the whole time.

The others hurry forward, worry etched onto their faces. Piccolo gently shook Kyloa, calling her name, trying to revive her.

"Is she okay?" asked Gohan.

Piccolo shook his head and looked at Dende. "Can you heal her?"

Dende looked down, guilt radiating from him. "I cannot. I do not have enough energy to do any healing. The fusion took it all."

Piccolo turned to Gohan. "Is there any senzou beans left?"

Gohan reluctantly shook his head. "I gave the last one to Kyloa after you released her from the fire."

Piccolo turned his gaze back to Kyloa, who still laid unresponsive in his arms. The only movement was her shallow breathing. As he looked at her, Piccolo felt a sharp pain stab his heart. This could not be happening. She was not supposed to die. "Kyloa. Kyloa, please. You promised to explain the dreams. Don’t back out on your promise. Kyloa. Wake up, Kyloa!"

Finally, finally, Kyloa’s eyes gradually opened and met Piccolo’s gaze. She looked at him and her eyes suddenly filled with pain and a look he had never seen before. He noticed her throat convulsing, as if she was trying to talk but was unable to. Piccolo felt a lump in his throat and was unable to speak as well. What is making me feel this way? Why does this hurt so much?

Unable to convey her message, Kyloa closed her eyes in what seemed to be defeat. A tear appeared and slid down her cheek and Piccolo watched it with a strange detachment. She took a breath but did not take another. She was gone.

Piccolo stared, his mind not quite accepting what has happened. Suddenly, a voice spoke in his mind and with a start, Piccolo realized it was the Earth and her voice was tinged with sadness.

"Let her go Piccolo. It is time for her to return and dwell with me."

Hesitatingly, Piccolo gently laid Kyloa out on the ground and they all watched as the Earth slowly absorbed her body. Gohan glanced at his mentor and was surprised to see a tear on the green alien’s cheek. "Piccolo. Are you crying?" he asked, wonder filling his voice.

The others looked up in time to see Piccolo wipe his cheek with his hand and become surprised when it came away wet. For once Vegeta did not make a rude comment and chose to keep silent.

"Don’t worry Piccolo. We can wish her back with the Dragonballs," said Krillin, trying to be consoling.

Dende shifted uncomfortably on his feet. "Um, you can’t." He now had everyone’s undivided attention. "Sorry. Kyloa told me awhile back that you can’t wish a Shizen back with the Dragonballs. The Shizen belong to the Earth and it is up to her whether or not it is time for a Shizen to die or to live."

"Well, that doesn’t mean we should give up hope. The Earth could decide to bring Kyloa back," said Gohan, eyes big with hope.

"We won’t know for a long time," replied Dende.

Piccolo, silent up ‘til then, without warning suddenly turned and flew away. Gohan stared worriedly after him. "Where are you going Piccolo?"

"To be alone."

Gohan turned to Dende, who shrugged. They all flew off in the other direction, to return home and break the news of the deaths of Kyloa and Goku to their family and friends.

As the other fighters mourned the losses of Goku and Kyloa and celebrated the victory over Queen Frozena, Piccolo sat alone on a mountaintop, eyes staring at nothing, not registering anything before them. After having meditated for several hours, Piccolo had come to an enlightening realization that had shocked him, strangely heartened him and brought him great pain at the same time.

He had fallen in love with Kyloa. And now he didn’t know how he was going to live without her.

 

My heart aches,

And now it is becoming gentle
What will become of me?

Go Back a Chapter
Go to Next Chapter
Return to THE FROZENA SAGA