Current News

Bengali Settlers
Armed Resistance
Religious Persecution
Rapes & Abductions
Chakma Refugees
CHT Treaty
Foreign Aid


Body of Chikon Mila Chakma
On 14 December 2011 Bangladesh army backed Muslim settlers attacked indigenous Buddhist people in Baghaichari and Dighinala following the death of a settler named Mohamed Sattar. An indigenous woman named Chikon Mila Chakma was killed in Dighinala and at least 10 indigenous people were injured. Dead body of Ms. Chikon Mila Chakma lies in Khagrachari hospital morgue.

Bengali settlers kill an indigenous Marma Buddhist in Kaptai

On 7 April 2012, Muslim settlers killed an indigenous Marma Buddhist named Ula Mong Marma (14) son of Thui Mra Chai Marma of village Agapara of Chitmorom union under Kaptai of Rangamati district. The Muslim settler is a guard of forest department. Dr. Mong Kyaw Ching Marma, acting Residential Medical Officer (RMO) of Rangamati General Hospital said that Ula Mong Marma had died due to a strike on his head. Blood was shedding through his nose and mouth (10 April 2012, daily Prothom Alo).

Local sources said that on that day at noon Ula Mong Marma with his 3 friends went to nearby reserved forest under Karnophuli reserved forest to collect fire wood for domestic use. At about 3.00 pm a group of forest guards of forest department chased Ula Mong and his friends. Though the friends of deceased could narrowly escape, but Ula Mong was caught by the forest guards. As Ula Mong did not return home at night, his friends informed the chairman of Chitmorom union Mr. Thowai Ching Marma about the matter. The indigenous people searched the forest at night, but they failed to trace the victim. The next day on 8 April 2012 at about 9:00 am the local people recovered dead body of Ula Mong covered with bush and leafs at that reserved forest.

Being informed, Chairman Thoai Ching Marma visited the spot and then, he and villagers informed the local police. Later, police recovered the dead body. Karnophuli range officer Mamunur Rashid refused to admit that any forest staff had been involved with this incident. However, local villagers confirmed that a group of forest guards led by beat officer Mohamed Abdul Rahman was patrolling the area on that day. On 10 April 2012 a case was filed with the Chandraghona police station. But till preparing this report, none was arrested.


Kapaeeng Foundation
(A Human Rights Organization for Indigenous Peoples of Bangladesh)

Copyright 2008 Committee for International Campaign. All Rights Reserved