- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 medium onion - finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery - finely chopped
- 3 cups uncooked fresh corn (frozen or canned are ok, but fresh tastes better)
- 4 medium size potatoes - peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. all purpose seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Optional - 4 to 5 slices bacon- fried crisp, drained and crushed into bits; or, to reduce fat, use imitation bacon bits
In a stock pot or dutch oven, saute onion and celery in butter just until tender. Do not brown. Add water, corn, potatoes and seasonings. Cook over medium heat, uncovered, just until potatoes are fork tender. Lower heat. Stir in milk. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring a few times.
Garnish individual servings with bacon bits if desired. Serve with saltines or tiny soup crackers.