The province formerly known as Tayabas, now Quezon, was explored by the Spaniards in 1571 and 1572 when Juan de Salcedo visited and explored upon the order of the first Spanish Governor General of the Philippines, Miguel Lopez de Legaspi, the central portion of Tayabas in his march across Laguna to Paracle. The following year, Salcedo led his famous expeditions around the northern coast of Luzon. He visited the "CONTRACOSTA" town of Casiguran, Baler and Infanta.
In 1574, the municipality of Gumaca, then called Bumaka was founded by father Diego de Oropesa, who found a group of native barangays with their own culture and government.
The territory which now constitutes the province of Tayabas was at one time under the jurisdiction of various provinces. The southern and central portions, for example, were in 1585 under the jurisdiction of the province of Bonbon, sometimes called Balayan (now Batangas). The northern portion was divided between Laguna and Nueva Ecija , while the other portion was divided into the provinces of Mindoro , Marinduque and Camarines .
In 1591, Taybas was created into a province under the name of Kalilayan. Its capital was the ancient town of Tayabas, now a barrio in the town of Unisan; where ancient tombs and artifacts can be found. However, by the middle of the 18th century the provincial capital was move to what is now the Municipality of Tayabas.
The year 1595 marked the spiritual birth of Quezon Province with its incorporation into the Dioceses of Nueva Caceres. The first Catholic Bishop of the province was Fray Francisco Ortiga, and Agustinian Friar, while its first Alcalde mayor was Don Simeon Alvarez, who served from 1625 to 1655.
Quezonians are generally peaceful, passive, friendly, generous and hospitable like most of the Filipinos, although not as deeply religious as the Bicolanos, they are not law- abiding and God- fearing citizens.
Quezon Province have famous sons like Oscar Zalameda,world acclaimed painter; Dick Baldovino, talented photographer known all over Asia, Pepe Merto, internally famous musical composers from Pagbilao, and Father Horasio dela Costa, a Jesuit author and historian.
The Guintong Yaman Ng Quezon which was inaugurated on August 4,1978 coinciding with President Quezons Centennial celebration, is a show window of the cultural heritage of the province, especially that of the late President Manuel L. Quezon.
Quezon Province may be rightfully called the
cradle of Filipino nationalism in the same way that Cebu is referred as the cradle of
Christianity for in her bosom were born great and uncompromising nationalist such as
Quezon and Recto.
ETHNIC ORIGIN OF THE PEOPLE
Presumably, the native of Bumaca (now Gumaca) were
Except for a small group of Dumagats and Negritos who live in
Another event in the annuals of Tayabas is the revolt of the
Like many other provinces in the country to join the revolution. On
August 15,1898, General
Miguel Malvar took possession of Tayabas
Civil government was establish in Tayabas on March 12,1901 with
Lucena as the capital,
with Hon. Cornelius Gardiner as its first
Quezons peaceful loving people were not spared from the
On September 7, 1946, Tayabas was changed to "Quezon Province"
by virtue of Republic
Act No. 14 which was signed by His