All Saints' Church, Bow Brickhill
All Saints, the Parish
Church of Bow Brickhill, known in the '30s as the Beacon Church
used to be conspicuous, standing out like a castle on the hill.
Now that the hill is
heavily wooded, views to the south are masked, however there are
spectacular vistas of the new city of Milton Keynes from the top
of the tower which is opened to the public one weekend each
During the Napoleonic Wars the
tower was used as a telegraph station and during the 1939-1945 war was
used by the Royal Observer Corp.
The Church is built of
sandstone rubble, in large blocks, dug from the greensand
escarpement on which is stands. Before the fifteenth centre it
probably consisted of an aisleless Nave and a Chancel dating
from the twelfth centure. The first records of the Church refer
to a transfer of the advowson in 1185.
The North and South aisles and the West
tower were added in the fifteenth century when the arcades were
built at the same time.
here for more information and the village web site