God speaks of the unborn as persons whom he has created and whom he knows, loves, and has a relationship with.
- Job 31:15 - Did not He who made me in the womb make them? Did not the same One fashion us in the womb?
- Psalm 22:9-10 - But You are He who took Me out of the womb; You made Me trust while on My mother’s breasts. I was cast upon You from birth. From My mother’s womb You have been My God.
- Psalm 139:13-16 - For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well. My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them.
- Jeremiah 1:5 - Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations.
- Ecclesiastes 11:5 -As you do not know how the spirit comes to the bones in the womb of a woman with child, so you do not know the work of God who makes everything.
- Isaiah 44:2 -Thus says the Lord who made you, who formed you from the womb and will help you.
- Luke 1:15 - For he will be great in the sight of the Lord. . . . He will also be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother’s womb
- Luke 1:41 - And it happened, when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, that the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.
- Luke 1:44 - For behold, when the voice of your greeting come to my ears, the babe in my womb leaped for joy.
- Galatians 1:15-16a - . . . it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles.
God commands us not to murder, which includes abortion.
- Genesis 9:6 - Whoever sheds man’s blood, by man his blood shall be shed; for in the image of God He made man.
- Exodus 20:13 - You shall not murder.
- Exodus 23:7 - Keep yourself far from a false matter; do not kill the innocent and righteous. For I will not justify the wicked.
- Proverbs 28:17 - A man burdened with bloodshed will flee into a pit; let no one help him.
- Romans 13:9-10 - For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not bear false witness,” “You shall not covet,” and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
God commands us to protect the innocent and defenseless.
- Proverbs 24: 11-12 - "Deliver those who are being taken away to death, And those who are staggering to slaughter, O hold them back. If you say, 'See, we did not know this,' Does He not consider it who weighs the hearts? And does He not know it who keeps your soul? And will He not render to man according to his work?"
- Matthew 25: 42-45 - For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'
- James 1:22 - But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.