SASS SHOOTING CATEGORIES
The Frontier Regulators is currently a small club of shooters. Even though we are aware of the SASS Shooting Categoies, we just shoot as a group and do not have separate categories. Any shooter may shoot any of the recognized categories, but we all compete as Total Time. We do not use the Rank Scoring System.
SASS SHOOTING CATEGORIES as of: January 2011
SASS recognizes shooting categories based upon age, gender, costuming, equipment, shooting style and/or propellant. The age for a competitor is determined by their age on the first day the match starts. All SASS categories may be subdivided by gender, e.g. Lady Duelist, Lady Gunfighter, Lady 49’er, Lady Wrangler, etc. Competitors may compete within any category for which they qualify. There are no men’s categories.
• Any Main Match revolver.
• Revolvers may be shot any style except Gunfighter.
• May use any SASS–legal main match shotgun and any main match rifle.
• May use any SASS–legal ammunition.
• Juniors are persons aged 16 and under. The category may be subdivided by age and gender.
Suggested divisions are “Young Guns” aged 14 through 16 and “Buckaroos” 13 and under. Caution is urged in allowing competitors under age 14. Local laws, regulations, and SASS recognizes shooting categories based upon age, gender, costuming, equipment, shooting style and/or propellant. The age for a competitor is determined by their age on the first day the match starts.
All SASS categories may be subdivided by gender, e.g. Lady
Duelist, Lady Gunfighter, Lady 49’er, Lady Wrangler, etc. Competitors may compete within
any category for which they qualify. There are no men’s categories.
It is expected the blackpowder competitor shall contend with smoke obscured targets. To
insure this, all shotgun, revolver, and rifle powder charges must produce smoke at least
equivalent to a base line load of 15 grains by volume (1 cc) of ffg blackpowder.
• Any Main Match fixed sight model revolver.
• Revolvers may be shot two handed or one handed (duelist style).
• Must use blackpowder in all loads (rifle, revolver, and shotgun).
• Must use a side-by-side or lever action shotgun in the main match stages.
• Any SASS–legal pistol caliber rifle is acceptable.
• Frontier Cartridge Duelist is also recognized with all requirements being the same
• Chaps, spurs, cuffs, tie or scarf worn loosely around the neck or with scarf slide, vest,
pocket watch with full length chain, jacket, sleeve garters, knife, botas, leggings, braces; no
straw or palm hats allowed.
• In addition to the above items, ladies may choose from the items listed below in order to
compete within this category:
• Period watch, split riding skirt, bustle, hoops, corset, Victorian style hat (straw allowed),
period jewelry, period hair ornaments (e.g., feathers), snood, reticule (period handbag),
period lace up shoes, camisole, bloomers, fishnet stockings, feather boa, cape.
• No Buscadero or drop holster rigs allowed (i.e., part of the grip must be above the belt on
which the holster hangs).
• Boots are required and must be of traditional design with non-grip enhancing (i.e. “NO
Lug”) soles. Mocassins are not allowed.
• Hats must be worn for the entire match.
• Any main match revolver.
• Revolvers may be shot in any SASS–legal shooting style, at the shooters discretion.
• Rifles: Any SASS–legal rifle of 1880 or later design or a replica thereof (i.e. Burgess,
Lightning Rifle, 1892, 1894 Winchester or Marlin).
• May use any SASS–legal shotgun.
• May use any SASS–legal ammunition.
• Leather: Buscadero holster rigs or drop holster rigs. (All of the revolver(s) must be carried
below the top of the gun belt.) All belt and holster rigs must be embellished (fancy
stitching, conchos, spots, or tooling). All holsters must be of the “Double Strong-Side”
type. No crossdraw, shoulder rigs, or butt forward configurations allowed.
• Costuming: Shirts must be of the “B” Western style with snap buttons or any of the
following: “Smiley Pockets,” embroidery, appliqués, fringe, or different colored yokes.
Shield shirts are also allowed if it has piping or embroidery.
• Pants must be jeans, ranch pants, or pants with flap over the rear pocket, keystone belt
loops, and/or piping or fringe.
• Pants must be worn with a belt. Suspenders are not allowed. Felt hats only, no straw hats.
Hats must be worn.
• Boots are required and must be of traditional design with fancy stitching or mu