916 Main Street was built by Absalom
Wells, son of Charles Wells and first
wife. (Chas. was proprietor of
Charlestown (later named Wellsburg)
when Charles Prather set it up.)
Further up Main Street at 1124 is
another house built by Absalom Wells.
Brooke County Library is on the left. It was
built in 1972. The original Library was
organized as the Wellsburg Library
Association in 1897.
Across from the Library -- Under the clapboard at the
rear part of the house, is a log cabin constructed by
Patrick Gass. Mr. Gass was the last surviving
member of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. At one
time it was a tavern. The front part of the house was
built about 1850. The rear (log cabin) built in 1797.
(First held Court for Brooke County).
1014 Main Street. The history of the Christ
Episcopal Church is as old as Wellsburg. It
was founded by Rev. Joseph Doddridge in
1792. In 1800 Rev. Doddridge agreed to preach
and perform other services of the church every
other Sunday evening in Brooke Academy.
Among the names signing the agreement were
Alexander Campbell, Charles Prather and
Henry Prather. About 1833, a church was built
at the corner of 7th and Yankee Street. The
ground at this site became very swampy and the
church was often referred to as the "Old Swamp
Church." The church was completely destroyed
in the flood of 1884. Construction on this
church was started in 1886. It was partially
built and adequate for church services. The
church and rectory were completed in 1897.