Dr. Shiri Ahuja
Assistant Professor, Institute for Integrated Learning in Management (IILM), New Delhi (Since Dec 2000)
IILM is one of the top 15, A+ category business school running a two year Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management. The institute also runs various other programmes in Business Studies in collaboration with School of Management of University of Bradford.
Profile of Activities
§ Teaching Post Graduate Business Management courses- Business Communication, Human Resource Management, Performance Management, Recruitment & Selection, Management of Change.
§ Editorial Team member for the quarterly newsletter IILM Review.
§ Content and Design Editor for IILM Website iilm.edu and my.iilm.edu.
§ Convener for Educational Workshops in 2003.
§ Member PG Admissions Committee 2003.
§ Defended the thesis and received a PhD in Management.
§ Presented 6 papers in various International conferences.
§ Published country report on status of e-Work in India on invitation from the European Commission.
§ Attended and contributed to project planning of Asian EMERGENCE (funded by European Commission) on invitation from Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand.
§ Assessed the methodology, research instruments and preliminary research of a European Commission funded project, on invitation from the coordinators (ISERES, Paris). The project was aimed at drawing up a Social Observation Table of Call Centres (TOSCA) in Europe.
§ Conducting research for Asian EMERGENCE with Asian Institute of Technology, Pathumthani, Bangkok and Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore, India.
Lecturer (July 1998-2000), Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
§ Taught Business Communication, HRM, and Research Methodology to Post Graduate students.
§ Coordinator for Outbound Training sessions for Post Graduate students.
§ Coordinator Examinations and Time table.
§ Being one of the founder faculties, various responsibilities were given at different times, like organising workshops for designing management courses.
Assistant Professor (April 1994- July 1998), J.N.V. University, Jodhpur
§ Taught Human Resource Management, Business Communication and Travel & Tourism Management courses to Post Graduate students.
§ Organised an All India Tourism Meet ‘Golden Voyage’. The meet emphasized the need for professionally trained human resources in tourism. Efforts during the meet resulted in making Master in Tourism Administration an essential qualification required for Tourism related placements by Rajasthan government
Researcher (July 2003) Asian EMERGENCE, Asian Institute of Technology, Pathumthani, Thailand
Financially supported by the European Commission’s Asia- ITC fund, Asian EMERGENCE studies the differences in abilities of different regions and nations to attract e-Work, influence of national institutions in shaping geographical structure of global markets, challenges for policy makers attempting to attract inward investment in eServices. Asian EMERGENCE is a sister project to the EMERGENCE project (www.emergence.nu). The contract has been made with Asian Institute of Technology, Pathumthani, Thailand, Asian partner for the project.
Researcher (July 2002) Asian EMERGENCE, Indian Institute of Mgmt, Bangalore
A research contract was also arrived at with the Indian partner for above mentioned Asian EMERGENCE project.
Research Associate (Jan 2000), EMERGENCE, European Commission
ReseResearch associate for European Commission funded IST project on Estimation and Mapping of Employment Relocation in a Global Economy in the New Communications Environment (EMERGENCE) (www.emergence.nu)
Principal Investigator (March 2000), Teleworking, AICTE
Funded by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), ‘Teleworking: Additional Employment Opportunities for the Physically Handicapped in Urban India’ estimates the potential for increasing safe employability of physically challenged Indians through spread of teleworking in the rural and urban areas http://www.rurkiu.ernet.in/research/RS_start1.htm
Co-Investigator (Nov 1998) Educational Tech. for Handicapped Deaf, AICTE
An All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) project, ‘Educational Technology for the Handicapped Deaf in Cooking, Catering and Kitchen Management’ analyses educational technologies for the handicapped deaf. http://www.rurkiu.ernet.in/acads/centers/qip/activity.htm
October (1996- 1997), Rajasthan State Electricity Board, Jodhpur
Privatisation of Rajasthan State Electricity Board’s (RSEB) Tariff Billing and Revenue Collection functions at Jodhpur. Project involved establishing operational synchrony between a public sector organisation viz. RSEB, nationalised agencies like banks, consumers and contractor’s staff. The venture contributed to sustaining the trend towards outsourcing in RSEB. Personally, it gave me an opportunity to understand the complexities in synergising through diverse working cultures.
April (1991), Frigo, Jodhpur
The causes for a steep decline in sales of this fast food centre were studied. Recommendations arrested the decline in sales and increased market share.
1992-1995-Ahuja Electronics, Jodhpur
Established Ahuja Electronics in 1992 with a capital of rupees sixteen thousand. Assembled air conditioners and promoted the concept of air-conditioning in Jodhpur. Expanded business from assembling to manufacturing some parts and also diversified into dealing in Office Automation Systems. Independently managed all aspects of the business, except production. Achieved turnover of Rs. 2.7 millions by 1995.
PhD (2003), G.K.V. University
Awarded a PhD for doctoral thesis on Design and Implementation of Telework and Virtual Workplaces in India: An Approach to Maximise Organisational Efficiency.
P.G. Research (Work) (2000), Internationale Women’s University, Germany
Internationale Women’s University (IFU) was an experiment in new educational methodologies conducted by six German Universities with DAAD. Conducted an international panel discussion on Teleworking and New Ways of Working which led to a paper that was presented at the International workshop on Teleworking and the Future of Work, Stockholm. This paper received a special award from an international jury.
M.A. (Indus & Org Psychology) (1993), J.N.V. University, Jodhpur
Received University Gold Medal for standing first in the degree course (Completed the first year of degree in 1991).
M.B.A. (Marketing) (1992), Sukhadia University, Udaipur
Specialised in Marketing (Major) and Human Resource Management (Minor)
B.A. (Honours) Psychology (1989), J.N.V. University, Jodhpur
Received University Gold Medal for standing first in the degree course.
Date of Birth 18th September, 1969
1. Dr. Irfan A. Rizvi, Director, Graduate School of Management,
Institute for Integrated Learning in Management,
Lodhi Institutional Area, Lodhi Road
New Delhi 110003Phone: 9811300793
2. Ursula Huws
Director, EMERGENCE, Institute for Employment Studies,
3. Dr. J.P. Singh
Professor, Department of Management Studies,
Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS
Gupta, M.L. and Ahuja, S (1998) Discover Jodhpur, Jodhpur, Shubhda Prakashan.
Developed 17 units on Tourism Management for a new course “An Introduction to Indian Tradition and Culture” by Kota Open University, Kota. The course was introduced in 2001.
Awarded International Paper (Swedish Council of Work Life Research Award)
Ahuja, S. and Pandey, A.D. (2000) “Teleworking: Opportunities for Indian Women” Proceedings of the International Workshop on Teleworking and the Future of Work, Stockholm, August.
1. Ahuja, S. (2003) “Teleworking: Redesign Strategies for Organisations” Organisation and Work Beyond 2000, Eds. Rapp, B. and Jackson, P., Physica-Verlag, Heidelberg, pp 49-57.
2. Ahuja, S. (2003) “Teleworking: Opportunities for the Indian Woman” Organisation and Work Beyond 2000, Eds. Rapp, B. and Jackson, P., Physica-Verlag, Heidelberg, pp 373-385.
3. Ahuja, S., Shankar, R. and Banwet, D.K. (2003) “ Knowledge Management Practices in a Flexible Organisation” proceedings of the International Conference on Management of Research and Development, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, January.
4. Ahuja, S., Shankar, R. and Banwet, D.K. (2003) “ Knowledge Management and Organisational Flexibility: Linkages and Implications” proceedings of the International Conference on Management of Research and Development, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, January.
5. Ahuja, S. (2002) National Report on India, published in “e-Work 2002: Status Report on New Ways to Work in the Knowledge Economy”, Directorate-General Information Society Technologies, Key Action 2, New Methods of Work and Electronic Commerce, European Commission, 163-168.
6. Ahuja, S. and Siengthai, S. (2002) “Success of e-Initiatives: People, Process or Technology”, presented and published in the proceedings of International Conference on Globalization, Innovation and Human Resource Development organised by the School of Management, Asian Institute of Technology, Pathumthani, Thailand, December.
7. Ahuja, S. (2002) “Multiplying the Wisdom at Grass roots: Leveraging on Information Technology” proceedings of IEEE 2002 International Symposium on Technology and Society; Social Implications of Information and Communication Technology, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA, June 6-8.
8. Ahuja, S. (2001) “Functional Integration through Alternative Officing, Participative Strategies for Creating Suitable Structures” proceedings of the European Telework Assembly, Helsinki, September.
9. Ahuja, S. (2001) “Holding e hands: The New Rules for Teamwork” Proceedings of Fifth International Workshop on Teamwork, Leuven, September.
10. Ahuja, S. (2000) “Information Technology in India: The Shift in Paradigm” Proceedings of the International Conference on Where in the World, Budapest, October.
11. Ahuja, S. (2000) “Teleworking: Redesign Strategies for Organisations” proceedings of the International Workshop on Teleworking and the Future of Work, Stockholm, August.
1. Ahuja, S. (2002) “Distributed Teams in e-Work Organisations: The New Issues” Journal of Services Research, 2:2, 79-95.
2. Ahuja, S. (2001) “Tourism in 21st Century: Sharks in the Ocean” Journal of Services Research, 1:2, 187-193.
3. Rahman, Z. and Ahuja, S. (2001) “Reliance’s Strategy for Future Growth”, Indian Management, 40:1, 17-21.
4. Ahuja, S. (2001) “Forms of Work in the New Economy: The Policy Challenges” Proceedings of National Seminar on Sustainable Economic, Social and Political Reforms in the Information Age, New Delhi.
5. Ahuja, S. (2000) “Workplace Restructuring: Facilitating Flexibility through Teleworking” proceedings of the National Seminar on 21st Century Manager and Global Business (Eds: Dhamija, S.C. and Singh, S.P.) Gurukul Kangadi University, Hardwar, 196-203.
6. Ahuja, S. and Pandey, A.D. (1999) “Strategies for Managing Human Resources in Indian Teleworking: A Systems based Approach” Value Creation: Challenge of HR in the New Millennium (eds. Biju Varkkey, Rajan Dutta and G.P. Rao New Delhi, Tata McGraw Hill, 84-91.
7. Sharma, S. and Ahuja, S.(1999) “Human Quality in Aviation Business: The Vital Factor” Proceedings of the 10th All India Management Congress, Patna.
8. Ahuja, S. and Pandey, A.D. (1999) “Teleworking: India has the Global Edge” Proceedings of the 10th All India Management Congress, Patna.
9. Sharma, S. and Ahuja, S. (1999) “Human Resource Development in Aviation” proceedings of national seminar on Indian Tourism: Introspection, Prognosis and Strategic Models, Kurukshetra, Kurukshetra University.
10. Ahuja, S. and Sharma, S. (1999) “Infrastructure Development for Tourism in India” proceedings of national seminar on Indian Tourism: Introspection, Prognosis and Strategic Models, Kurukshetra, Kurukshetra University.
11. Ahuja, S. (1997) “Globalisation: A Challenge for Indian Managers” proceedings of national seminar on Globalisation and Management of Developing Economies, Udaipur.
12. Pandey, A.D. and Ahuja, S. (1999) “Teleworking: The Basis for New Standards in Benchmarking” Management in New Millennium: An Indian Perspective (ed. S.C. Dhamija), Haridwar, Gurukul Kangadi University, 183-190.
13. Ahuja, S. and Sharma, S. (1997) “Sustainable Ecotourism” Express Travel and Tourism, Indian Express, October 27, 8.
14. Ahuja, S. (1997) “Profile India: 1997 A.D.” Kala Prayojan (ed. Hemant Shesh), Udaipur, West Zone Cultural Centre, no. 10, 119.
15. Ahuja, S. and Sharma, S. (1997) “Consumer Behaviour: A New Challenge in Marketing Management” Multidimensional Aspects of Commerce and Management Science, Jodhpur, JNV University, 262-266.
16. Sharma, S. and Ahuja, S. (1997) “Human Resource Development in Liberalised Economy” Multidimensional Aspects of Commerce and Management Science, Jodhpur, JNV University, 252-254.
17. Sharma, S. and Ahuja, S. (1997) “Prospects of Tourism in India” Journal of Tourism and Hotel Management, 5.
18. Ahuja, S. and Sharma, S. (1995) “Indian Corporate Perspective and Scenario of Management Education in Universities” Proceedings of Accountability Resource Mobilization and Privatisation in Higher Education, Jodhpur.
19. Ahuja, S. and Sharma, S. (1995) “Role of Union Management in Industrial Democracy” Journal of Banking and Finance, no.10, 164-169.
20. Ahuja, S. (1991) “Quality: The Strategy for Globalisation” proceedings of Management in 2000 AD, Udaipur.